• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

sleeping bag vs silk sheet

maggiejoyce22

I am hiking from pamplona to compestella may 20th to june 20th. I was going to just bring a silk sheet and wear layers at night. However a lot of people recommend a light weight sleeping bag. But I leave in 5 days and the sleeping bags at the store are about $190 vs the silk sheet which is $50. Do I really need the sleeping bag???

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What kind of sleeping bag would be best for mid September to mid October?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Save the money, and take what you have. The Camino will provide what you need.

I still take my nylon liner during these months, and add the blanket more frequently. A sleeping bag rated to about 40 F will be sufficiently warm unless you are sleeping outside.

falcon269 said:
I still take my nylon liner during these months, and add the blanket more frequently. A sleeping bag rated to about 40 F will be sufficiently warm unless you are sleeping outside.

It's all very well say add a blanket, it's not like home, in Spain they fall off during the night, guess it's the slipperyness of the sleeping bag/silk sheet(gosh that proves I don't sleep with silk sheets @ home), & if you are on the top bunk you are not going to retrieve it unless you have a loo stop coinciding.......so my suggestion is take the sleeping bag to suit, you always use the zippper to control temp or get fully into it with hood, not mention wear some clothes :D . Worked for me in April, maybe a bit warmer in September.

ps yes one could always tuck the blanket in........... :roll:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
cotton liner will do

Take thin bed sheet, cotton liner or a big thin blanket ' pillow case and use the covers they give at the albergue.

Abbeydore said:
...so my suggestion is take the sleeping bag to suit, you always use the zippper to control temp or get fully into it with hood, not mention wear some clothes :D . Worked for me in April, maybe a bit warmer in September.

I am for the sleeping bag - mine is light- weight down bag weighs only slightly more than a bed sheet.
And David, I always keep my clothes on on the camino! Don´t you? :)
annie

anniethenurse said:
I am for the sleeping bag - mine is light- weight down bag weighs only slightly more than a bed sheet.
And David, I always keep my clothes on on the camino! Don´t you? :)
annie

Annie :lol: (behave)
I did this time............
David

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Looks like light weight sleeping bag win's out! Informed extended family and friends the last two days of my plans. Many of them shocked with lot's of reasons why this is not possible given my advanced years of 51 (Ha!) and a double shock of leaving my job. For me if a 51 yrs you are not willing to take the unknown path then when?

Can't thank you all enough for the help and advice.

Hurry up September 10th!

Sedona2012 said:
Looks like light weight sleeping bag win's out! Informed extended family and friends the last two days of my plans. Many of them shocked with lot's of reasons why this is not possible given my advanced years of 51 (Ha!) and a double shock of leaving my job. For me if a 51 yrs you are not willing to take the unknown path then when?

Can't thank you all enough for the help and advice.

Hurry up September 10th!

I'll be starting at the same time so maybe we'll bump into each other. FWIW, I am only bringing a liner (not silk) no bag.

Just foind out arriving the 17th not 10th.

mralisn said:
Save the money, and take what you have. The Camino will provide what you need.

:D Straight and to the point. Love it! - Monica

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back