• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

sleeping bag

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
elizabethcook said:
do I need to bring a sleeping Bag? I really don't want to unless necessary. Thanks
Not all of the albergues in Spain are heated and there will be some cooler nights in some places now autumn has arrived. And not all albergues have blankets. So you risk having a few cold nights without one.
Margaret

Margaret is correct.
But Elizabeth, you don't tell us the time of year that you are planning your Camino.

Between June and September, some pilgrims get by with just a hostel sheet.
This is a regular cotton or silk sheet folded over and sewn across the bottom and up one side.
Just crawl in when the weather is hot for a light cover. If you need a blanket and there are none, sleep in your clothes in the hostel sheet.

Me personally, I use a sleeping bag in April / May Caminos and am very happy to carry it.

David, Victoria, Canada.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
David, In another posting Elizabeth talked about going within the next ten days, which is why I suggested she take a sleeping bag. But I know that in the summertime, a sleeping sheet was pretty much all I needed, especially if it was a crowded dorm with lots of people in it :shock:
Margaret

Elizabeth!
Sleeping bag or not - that´s the question!

Well if I was walking the camino in the Northern Spain in between September and May I would bring a light weight down sleeping bag. It takes very little space in the backpack and the weight is minimal (400grams). It is SO comfortable to rest in your own clean sleeping bag.

But many other pilgrims prefer to bring their hostel sheets or sleeping bags in other materials. Washing the down sleeping bag on the camino would be a problem - needs thumble drier (there are some in the laundry rooms)to get it dry again.
annie

Hi Elisabeth!
Just came back from my camino yesterday!!! Had a wonderful time and met lot's of nice people!!
I left my sleeping at home because i was afraid off the weight issue having back problems.
In Ponferrada the hospitalera did not want to give me a blanket at first, because he said the blankets would get filthy if we sweat at night. Till now I had no problems getting a blanket in all the albergues and his attitude really maid me sad. I explained that i have a sheet so the blanket will not be touching my body and he agreed to give me one, but i decided that i want to buy a sleeping bag cause the nights were getting colder and i didn't want to be in the same helpless situation anymore. I found a sports shop not to far from the albergue and bought a down sleeping bag, 600gr for 95 euro. Not too bad i think.
The nights in Galicia were quite cold the last two weeks and i never regretted buying my sleeping bag. So my advice too you is to take one with you!!

Buen Camino!!!

liz

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back