• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Smallest Sparrow Intro

Smallest_Sparrow

Life is rarely what you expect or believe it to be
Time of past OR future Camino
2012: most of some, all of a few, a bit of others
Hi, having already posted a few times I guess I should start being polite. Sorry for any typos, doing this on my iPhone. I'm a female originally from California who just retired from a 28 year flying career in the USAF. I first heard about the Camino from my therapist about a year ago, when I told him I'd had a dream of walking all over what I assumed was Mexico from the language spoken, collecting seashells and occasionally crossing paths with my therapist. He had lived in Spain and so told me about the Camino.

I've served in five conflicts but only lost pilots from my squadron in Iraq, and decided to walk in their memory and perhaps heal some physical and mental wounds of my own. I haven't booked a flight yet but think I will start in mid to late April and try to stick to the roads less travelled--Norte-Primativo. I'd considered walking the Catalan route part way and may, depending how difficult I find communicating--I only have grade school Spanish and HS Latin to help me and I'm pretty sure my Russian, Arabic, and Farsi will be useless. :roll: just as well anyway, my accent is hopeless in all of them.

I've really enjoyed reading everyone's stories and advice, thanks.

I

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Welcome to the forum.
I have caught a couple of your questions, and hope that you are getting the answers you need. I joined after completing my Camino in 2010, and I have found it a great place to get support and advice.

Regards,

"I"...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2012!

I was going to go on and on about the benefit of not walking
the roads less travelled
and, then, looking back on my time flying in the Corps...I came to the realization that we do what we think we must do...and then carry on!

Thank you for your service and you decision to honor those fallen comrades.

Semper Fi

Arn

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks Doug and Arn,

I have learned a lot from both of you in your forum posts... And I should explain the "I" at the bottom of my post was a iPhone mis type (fat thumbs)...my name is Colleen (there goes my protective cloak just a bit more). Arn, i don't know if Marines give call signs in the same way we do but mine--love it and my naming ceremony though I do--is not appropriate here :oops: Nore was it in a squadron with Iraqi pilots, hence Smallest Sparrow. Why would you suggest a different route?

Colleen,

yup...we have call signs...Centurion, here...though I've been called others, also not for public consumption.

Once I stopped flying (I was a back seat) I went from an "in your face" Centurion to "hermit".

It's because of becoming a hermit that I found I kept providing myself with the answers I wanted to hear. My daughter, and many of my friends, convinced me that I needed to get out more. Needed to mix with folks and realize that life really is worth living.

I originally went on Camino in 2008 as an exercise to get right with God and with myself. I met a former Marine here on the Forum "Vinotinto" we had a lot in common, while at the same time we were very different. Through the Forum I became more animated, learned a lot and actually looked forward to walking the Camino Frances; not just because it seemed to be the one most traveled, but because there was a possibility I might meet folks from the Forum.

Each day was different and although I did walk with with a few folks several days, there was always the expectation of meeting someone new the next day and the next. I was not disappointed. If I wanted to wander off up the Camino, or stop in a town for a day or two...I did. The way I look at it is, if you're out on the Camino less traveled, there's fewer pilgrims to meet. If the meeting doesn't go well...you will probably meet the same folks, again and again.

On the more traveled Caminos...you'll have all the options.

More later.

Arn

We are with Smallest Sparrow on the 'roads less travelled'. Terry found the peace of the Norte-Primitivo just what he needed 3 years ago. Joining the Francés he described as 'joining the motorway after the side roads', too many people.
We met some pilgrims, briefly, on our days on the Primitivo in 2010, similar on the Inglés in 2011. Most of out talking was with local folk. That is what we are looking forward to on the Primitivo this year. The Francés isn't for us but the roads less travelled most certainly are, and before too many people decide to travel them :) This might be because all our working lives have been spent dealing with people and their needs, so some solitude is good. I said I could be a happy hermit (but not a recluse).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Colleen,
It is great to know some of your background. Arn is right in that you do need to think about the kind of Camino that suits you. I first walked as a complete break after retirement from full-time Christian ministry. Because I had spent so much time with other people I chose deliberately to go against advice and walk the Norte / Primitivo. That choice was absolutely right! (for me). Much of the time I was walking alone but there were always other pilgrims in the albergues and cafes in the evening. I am sure that if I had wanted to find a 'companion' I could have done so but I did want to spend time on my own. I have posted my thoughts and feelings elsewhere, but the following may be worth repeating here. It was my reaction after hitting the Francés in Melide - just like coming off a moorland by-way onto a motorway! (or in the States onto a freeway).

The way out of Melide is wide and clear.
From here to Compostela
There are many waymarks, pilgrims,
And their rubbish.
Why is it that human beings
Find it necessary to drop,
Discard and throw away
Wrappings, plastic, tins and bottles?
Expecting someone else
To clean up after us.
But nature is all around.
Stepping stones across a stream:
The smell of eucalyptus
Mingles with the tang of pines.
Here the pilgrim hears again
His native tongue.
English pilgrims jostle
With Germans, French, Italian
And the Spanish nationals.
How different to the quiet peace
Of the Camino del Norte
And the Primitivo.
Where solitude was bliss
And the presence of God a reality

You can find the whole 'epic' here

http://www.countrysidematters.org.uk/pilgrimage1.html

Blessings on your planning and walking.
Terry
P.S. Posted this on my computer, wife posted on hers!!!!

:lol: Contrary to what these last 2 posts could imply Terry and I are still talking :lol:

Hi Colleen
just a few words in praise of the Camino Frances,I have walked a few Camino's including the Norte and Primitivo and while the latter is a truly beautiful walk,thats all it is "a walk" mostly along the coast sharing your journey with holiday beaches and tourists
The French way is truly a pilgrimage and Arn is right its easy to keep to yourself in the crowd,there is something special about the "Way" that all who walk its full length feel, but have difficulty explaining it to those that haven't.
but you pays your money you make your choice it just seems a long way to come for a walk-when you could have the full cathartic experience of da real thing.
where ever you walk I wish you well
Ian ( a few pics of Camino below)

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I have to disagree with Ian on this one! The Primitivo is as much a 'Pilgrimage' as the Francés. Different maybe. But if you want a 'spiritual pilgrimage' the route is as well marked, with many ancient churches, shrines and wayside crosses. Oviedo was an important place on the journey to Santiago de Compostela and the route from there over the mountains to Lugo was used for the first recorded pilgrimage by king Alfonso II. The infrastructure is there, with some new albergues in the 'gaps'. What you will not find are hordes of 'pilgrims' racing one another for beds.
The Camino Francés and the Camino Primitivo are both 'Pilgrimages'. You pays your money and you takes your choice. Give me the Primitivo every time :D

Blessings
Terry

Hi Ian, and thanks for your input and of course the same to Terry--it's nice there are so many different options and so many enthusiastic supporters of each... And Terry you and Valerie MUST stop telling everyone how wonderful it is, at least until I've walked it :)

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Smallest_Sparrow said:
Hi Ian, and thanks for your input and of course the same to Terry--it's nice there are so many different options and so many enthusiastic supporters of each... And Terry you and Valerie MUST stop telling everyone how wonderful it is, at least until I've walked it :)
Yes, I was just beginning to think that. It could get crowded. We'll have to emphasize that bit between (1) Santa Eulalia and Tineo and also around (2)Lastre. (1)Mud, water over (2)slippery stones and oh I nearly forgot, the unusually low temperature of 5C in Tineo in May 2010.

Off putting enough? But if a particular Camino calls - it calls - whether the weather is good or bad and the Way rough or smooth.
Buen Camino folks

Re: Companionship on the Camino?

I guess it's up to you - what you want or need. I enjoy the quieter routes, and take my time, travelling slowly, taking photo's, and thanking God for my liberty and wonderful life. Last year I walked the Camino Portuguese. Quiet, and fewer pilgrims than the C Francais: but those I met were wonderful, friendly, and we enjoyed fellowship together without having to walk every step of the way together.
This year I'm trying the Via de la Plate from Salamanca - again, so I'm told, a quiet route. And that suits me well.
Check out: http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm
Buen camino!
Stephen

Smallest_Sparrow, a belated welcome to the Forum. As you can tell already, there are a bunch of different opinions here, but I am sure you will figure it all out and go with where your 'inklings' lead you in the end!
I love your name. I was born a few weeks early and was just five pound. My mother told me I was a little sparrow, that you could hold in one hand...
Margaret

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I'll be volunteering in Santiago July 01- July 15 this year with the Camino Companions who offer services for the English speaking pilgrims, announcements at mass, English Mass at the Pilgrim's...
Since 2009 I run a small hotel with bar and vegetarian restaurant on the camino francés. It was a dream come true when we could buy this house and in 2 years we restored it into a hotel with 3...
Hi my name is Bryce (Australian) and I’m doing the Camino Frances starting September 15. My wife is 57 years old and was born without her left thigh bone. She can wear a prosthetic leg for very...
Hi everyone, I was just listening to Ivar's last video and he mentioned Ed Sheeran. So fyi: a heads up. Ed Sheeran will be doing a concert at Monte de Gozo on July 6th this year. Expect there to...
Hello everyone I am new to the forum starting our Camino in September this year. Hubby and I are doing this pilgrimage as a reconnection to each other having raised three beautiful girls starting...
Hello✨✨✨✨ I ve just finished my thirty-day walk from San Sebastian and it’s a weird feeling I m going through , a mix of sadness and solitude. I kept afar Icts in the past few days to « see » and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.