• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

So what happens if you lose all your money?

casterapple

Time of past OR future Camino
|
Hi all!

I'm planning to carry my money in a few different places--but it'll all be on me, and if I get mugged, there's a possibility that it could all be gone.

I don't expect this to happen, but if it does, what's the best course of action? Is there a way to have money wired somehow? (I'm from the US.)

Any advice is appreciated! I'm not too worried, but my dad is, so I've got to come up with a plan just in case :)

EDIT: To clarify, I won't be carrying all my money with me, but my dad is afraid of both my cash AND my ATM cards being stolen.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Do not carry all your money...period.

Use ATMs as you would in the US. ATMs are very frequent and work with almost all Credit Union or Bank debit cards.

Most folks take out about 200 to 300 euro at a time and replace when needed.

Search the forum for threads on tips on using the ATMs in Spain..

Ask here if you have specific questions.

Use ATMs as you would in the US. ATMs are very frequent and work with almost all Credit Union or Bank debit cards.

Thank you for the response! I should have been more clear in my question. I don't plan on having all my money out. My concern is what to do if my cash AND my ATM cards are stolen.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Actually....there is no more of a threat of mugging than there would be anywhere else. Mugging is not a highly likely thing on the Camino...I suppose it could happen but I would just take the same cautions as you would at home or elsewhere.

We often discuss security of valuables here. You should have them with you at all times including showering in the albergues.

There are many systems and plans that pilgrims use to care for valuables.
Hopefully, others will add ideas that you can use.

Sounds like your Dad is expressing generalised fear about your trip, which is just a reflection of his love and concern for you. The Camino is a very safe place. If you live pretty much anywhere in the world in a city you are far more likely to be mugged at home than on the Camino. If you are travelling through a big city to get to the Camino then you need to take care, but that advice applies to travel to any place.

We all make sure that we secure our wallets, passports and cell phones by keeping them on our person at all times, often in special security pockets, belts or neck pouches, including in dorm showers, where ziplock plastic bags are invaluable. That is not a reflection of any problems on the Camino, just common sense.

If you do lose your cash and ATM card then you are in the same position as in the US and would need to make emergency arrangements by telephone with your bank or credit card provider.

Spend some time reading through this forum and suggest your Dad does the same. I think he will be reassured. Here is a recent thread that might help https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-mother-is-freaking-out.39234/

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi all!

I'm planning to carry my money in a few different places--but it'll all be on me, and if I get mugged, there's a possibility that it could all be gone.

I don't expect this to happen, but if it does, what's the best course of action? Is there a way to have money wired somehow? (I'm from the US.)

Any advice is appreciated! I'm not too worried, but my dad is, so I've got to come up with a plan just in case :)
One word. DEBIT CARD. You will find teller machines all along the caminos with a few exceptions. Most have a daily 300 euro limit some 500. Even at 50 euros a day 300 should last for 6 days.

Never carry all your money. That's a very bad idea anywhere. I wait until I'm in Europe to get euros. I will use the BANK teller machines at the airport. My credit cards have no transaction fees. Save money when I have to use them.

Be sure to notify your card holders of your travel plans. Failure to do so results in frozen cards and no money no credit cards. You will become a medieval pilgrim.

Listen to father! Buen Camino

Happy Trails

P.S. Small 20, 10, 5 euro bills on the camino. Remember.

Last edited:
Sounds like your Dad is expressing generalised fear about your trip, which is just a reflection of his love and concern for you. The Camino is a very safe place. If you live pretty much anywhere in the world in a city you are far more likely to be mugged at home than on the Camino. If you are travelling through a big city to get to the Camino then you need to take care, but that advice applies to travel to any place.

We all make sure that we secure our wallets, passports and cell phones by keeping them on our person at all times, often in special security pockets, belts or neck pouches, including in dorm showers, where ziplock plastic bags are invaluable. That is not a reflection of any problems on the Camino, just common sense.

If you do lose your cash and ATM card then you are in the same position as in the US and would need to make emergency arrangements by telephone with your bank or credit card provider.

Spend some time reading through this forum and suggest your Dad does the same. I think he will be reassured. Here is a recent thread that might help https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-mother-is-freaking-out.39234/

Thank you for the advice! My dad has been ultra supportive of me going on the Camino--he just wants to make sure I've got a plan in case things go wrong. I'll pass on your comments to him--and with regards to emergency funds, it looks like I might be able to do a transfer through Western Union if necessary.

Thank you for the response! I should have been more clear in my question. I don't plan on having all my money out. My concern is what to do if my cash AND my ATM cards are stolen.
I missed the part about stolen cards. My previous post still stands. Make sure you notify your card holds of your travel plans.
People do get robbed or have their pocket picked. Its rare but it happens. Most travelers wear a neck or waist wallet for their passport, tickets, credit cards, and money. Make copies of passport, both sides of credit/debit cards, and other important information like stolen card phone numbers and medical information and keep it in your pack. Everything else should be on your person with just enough money for the day in your pocket. Some people take photos and store them in their phones or tablets.
If you are real concerned carry a dummy wallet. Keep 10, 20 euros in it with 1 or 2 expired credit cards for sacrifice to the bad guys. Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
One thing I've always done is have more than one bank account. One my money goes into and another with a debit card. I can easily transfer funds into the account that has the card with Internet service. This way even if my card is stolen they won't get very far on it. If traveling you would need a backup credit card hidden somewhere else in this scenario.

Before you leave scan your passport, insurance, and both sides of your cards, maybe driving licence, and then email the scans to yourself and one other person back home.

Then if the worst happens you have easy access to all your personal information, numbers, etc.

(Which reminds me, I just got a new passport - and need to do the scan/email process for that!)

How many ATM cards do you have? Most pilgrims will have both a ATM-debit (cash) card and a credit card (Visa / Master Card / AMEX - although AMEX is not as freely acceptable in Spain), so the best idea (for me) is to separate them - say one with your passport (national - not pilgrim) and the other with your money belt/daily wallet. Additionally I now have a MasterCard-Travel Card - which is loaded with Euros (and just about any other currency you need). In essence it operates the same as cash-card - my bank gave me two cards (that way I can operate them on difference password/pins).
Also the other suggestion (obtained on this forum about 3 years ago) - photocopy your cards and then scan them and email them to yourself - you will then have a record of the card numbers and it will make replacing them a lot easier - IF the worst does happen. Also notify your bank /card provider that you will be travelling - nominate the various countries - so they will know when your card is being used (in Spain) and that you are (generally) the user. One last security - you should be able to set a maximum daily limit and of course NEVER store your pin anywhere near your cards.
Hope this helps! Cheers

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
First the chances of getting mugged its very slim but... caca passa, so don't carry a lot of money, second have a secret stash somewhere to get you by.

zzotte

Yes that includes a credit card stash

If you spread your money and ATM cards around your body and pack, the chance of losing them all is about the same as being hit by lightening during an earthquake! Crime is extremely low along the Camino, and even the "hand me your money" is so rare that it is hard to find a report on one.

You can get money through a transfer through the Correos. Check the Western Union website. The U.S. consulates are quite useless, even asking for cash up front if you have lost your passport (and presumably your cash as well). The Consulates, closed on weekends, state in their recorded phone message that they will not help with money, and you should contact Western Union. And we pay for them with our tax dollars!!;)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
For people who are super careful -- if you email photos of your credit cards to yourself, email can be hacked. For those of us who do online banking, the credit card sites are encrypted and your email is not. I like to be cautious about e-mailing credit card numbers, although probably nothing will happen. Alternative -- give you passport number and credit card numbers to a trusted friend or family member. Then, if you need the information, you can call the person to retrieve it.

I am walking with my 14 yo son, starting 4/23 from SJPP. He will be carrying a bit of cash, an atm card, and a credit card and so will I. I have a travel vest where I stash my stuff in zipped inside pockets. I also keep a credit card and a bit of cash in at the bottom of pack, in case I do get mugged. (I did get mugged once in Barcelona --1985 in the subway on a sunday morning-- the young man was very nervous and was in a rush.) -- I am more nervous about being pickpocketed in Paris (where we are arriving from Toronto) than on the Camino. I have traveled with friends who have been pickpockeded or had their purse stolen. Once in a train station in Prague. My friend took her bill fold out of her unzippered jacket pocket and then put it back. The billfold was gone 5 minutes later. We spent the morning at the German Consulate, they helped her get a bit of cash so she could get home. --My husband was pickpocketed by a flock of kids who surrounded him in Rome. Keep your stuff in inside pockets! Don't be afraid to yell at people if they get too close even if they are kids or mother's carrying babies. Anyone with a piece of waving cardboard should not be anywhere near you! Try to stay away from packed places and heed warnings about pickpockets. (There were warnings in guide books about pickpockets both in Prague and in the marketplace in Rome.) -- But back to the camino. I don't think you'll have any problem. Don't carry lots of cash. Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I buy a zip the length of my passport, then using a piece of old cotton material I make a bag with the zip. I stitch the zip inside the back waistband of my trousers. Now I have a pocket with a zip inside my trousers which holds my passport, my cards in a little plastic envelope and an ordinary envelope holding the majority of my money.

I normally make sure that I am inside a toilet cubicle when transferring money into my purse.

I only use ATM's during daylight hours and when the bank is open.

I reckon I would have to be very badly mugged for anyone to get at my passport etc and as a little old lady I cannot protect against that. But having done my best to protect myself, I do expect my guardian Angel to do his job and to ensure that he is replaced if he goes on a cafe con leche break !!

Your primary concern should be in the airports and train stations, where people are often distracted and pickpockets quite enjoy their prey. Always be conscious of where you are. If your cards or money are taken, you are in the same situation as in your home country. Your only challenge would be to have an address to which replacement cards can be sent-- in this case, just make a reservation at a hotel, and the cards can then be sent to you there (this doesn't apply, I think, to albergues).

As you walk along the Camino it's best to have small denominations of euros for when you stop in cafes for coffee or lunch, etc. Keep those smaller bills and coins in a separate wallet or whatever than the one you carry your passport and credit/debit card(s) in. That way the smaller denominations are more accessible without having to expose your passport and credit/debit card(s) frequently.
cheers and ultreia

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
if you email photos of your credit cards to yourself, email can be hacked. For those of us who do online banking, the credit card sites are encrypted and your email is not.

Very true, but if you send a photo of your card, a bot searching for numbers is not going to find it that way. You would need to be sufficiently important that someone is capturing all the images you send and running OCR on them, which seems pretty unlikely, at least as unlikely as the actual bank/card site getting hacked.

There's also dropbox, although of course, that could be hacked as well.

...along the Caminos of Europe there are pilgrims who walk with credit cards & cash & internet connections and there are pilgrims who walk without. Somehow, with many adventures of faith & fun most of us arrive in Santiago dC... try not to worry.

Last edited:
I always keep a 50 euros banknote stashed somewhere in my backpack.
Just don't put it in your dirty clothes bag -it may seem a good place to hid it, but last time I saw as a desperate pilgrim frantically calling the hospitalero for help, because she has put her clothes in the washing machine -with her cash stash and camera. They survived, by the way -very clean.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For people who are super careful -- if you email photos of your credit cards to yourself, email can be hacked. For those of us who do online banking, the credit card sites are encrypted and your email is not.
I here what you say - but I usually give this email a subject title that makes it look like its spam. Don't know about you but I end up with so many emails the hacker would have to spend a lot of time fishing. PS I do usually leave the data with the family as well. Cheers

Koreans are big targets for theft, some tend to carry all their cash for their entire Camino, it's a cultural thing that some asians have a mistrust of banks.

Koreans are big targets for theft, some tend to carry all their cash for their entire Camino, it's a cultural thing that some asians have a mistrust of banks.
Yes, that happened to several pilgrims at the municipal albergue in O'Cebreiro when I was there in 2014. They left their cash stashes in their backpacks in the albergue and I was never clear if the thefts occurred at night while everyone was sleeping or during the day while they were out and about, but several of them had all their cash stolen.
Lesson to all prospective pilgrims...don't leave your money and/or credit/debit cards in your backpack.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Some good information here that I found helpful. To the original person who posted this question - find out from your bank in the states the easiest way for them to send you money in Spain. They probably have relationships with some banks there, but they would be able to tell you which ones and how quickly money can get wired. That way, you are prepared is something goes wrong and I think that is what your dad is most concerned about. I doubt if you would be without cash more than a day. And there are so many helpful people on the Camino that I know you would not want for anything.

A lovely German lady on my Camino accidentally sent all her money ahead to roncesvalles in her bag. She was planning to stay in Orrison and was justifiably very worried .... The good people at jacotrans tracked down her bag and delivered it back to her with all her valuables as we were eating dinner ... All without a lock or key on her bag. There ARE good people out there ... And people make mistakes ... The Camino provides ;) just take proper precautions and let the rest take care of itself.

Another lady had her luggage lost enroute ... She decided to walk anyway in the hopes it would catch up to her .... In Roncesvalles, she found almost everything she needed on the donation table where folks ditched excess gear ...including a sleeping bag and clothes and shoes .... Her luggage did catch up to her ... In Pamplona ... I know cause I forwarded it to her when it arrived in Roncesvalles, as we were holed up there a couple days to recover from a cold ... Things have a way of working out ....

Another story is mine .. We stayed in a private alburge shortly after restarting after Roncesvalles and had a marvellous time, so much so that we forgot to pay our hosts on leaving ...yikes! .... I had left my bag behind when we left in the morning to be transported by jacotrans to the next village and she put a note on the bag for us to let us know of our mistake .... She had friends in Pamplona and could we drop off our payment there to be picked up later .... We did and all is well .... :)

The thing is, things can and do go wrong ... But you will be fine as long as you are prepared and as I have shown, there are a lot of good people on the path and many are more than happy to help complete strangers who might find themselves in need along the Way ... It's a community, You'll be fine :) Buen Camino !

Last edited:
The word "IF" robs more people than people rob people...
Still, carrying great amounts of cash in any place just feels wrong to me....
I hope you have a wonderful adventure :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I use an Exofficio Floating Wallet as my daily euro and coin purse. Just enough cash for 2-3 breakfasts, trail snacks, albergue, trip to the tienda. It has a leash and a snap hook on it. I snap it to my belt and then drop it into my zippered pocket. I do the same here at home and the one time I didn't hook it to myself because I was not wearing a belt - I lost it.

Hi all!

EDIT: To clarify, I won't be carrying all my money with me, but my dad is afraid of both my cash AND my ATM cards being stolen.

So I had this happen to me and it was terrifying the first day it happened but I will tell you it was also the best day of my camino. First thing is get a card where you can call internationally and maybe get a new one sent to you. Second I had pilgrim after pilgrim offer me 10 20 50 euros. We pilgrims are a generous lot. Second have someone at home have some money to send you in case of emergency. You can at most post offices collect a western union that is sent to you. It is expensive so plan on losing have of it to fees currency exchange etc.

My info was lost due to a RFID scan somewhere. SO make sure before you go to get RFID sleeves for your cards and keep everything in a money belt.

Good luck have fun and Buen Camino.

So I had this happen to me and it was terrifying the first day it happened but I will tell you it was also the best day of my camino. First thing is get a card where you can call internationally and maybe get a new one sent to you. Second I had pilgrim after pilgrim offer me 10 20 50 euros. We pilgrims are a generous lot. Second have someone at home have some money to send you in case of emergency. You can at most post offices collect a western union that is sent to you. It is expensive so plan on losing have of it to fees currency exchange etc.

My info was lost due to a RFID scan somewhere. SO make sure before you go to get RFID sleeves for your cards and keep everything in a money belt.

Good luck have fun and Buen Camino.

Thanks for the advice--I'm sorry that happened to you! Where/when/how did it happen?

A pilgrim I befriended on the camino lost her bank cards and credit cards. She messaged me right away, and since I was in the same town, I went directly to her hotel and helped her out. I loaned her 100 euros and arranged to meet in Santiago, where she paid me back once her money from home could be wired to her. Other pilgrims also loaned her money when they heard her story.

The point is: keep in touch with people you meet out there. You'll do it anyway because the social aspect is one of the best things of the camino. But it is also an important life line in case of emergency. I kept up with camino friends via Facebook and WhatsApp on my phone, because free WiFi is available in bars, restaurants, and albergues all the way along the route.

And remember: Spain is a modern European country, not an untamed wilderness. Relax, don't catastrophize, take the normal precautions outlined by other people above, and have a fantastic time!

I took a bunch of cash and one credit card - that was it. I was going to use the credit card only in emergencies. Being an American, I carried dollars. I was running low on Euros, so I charged my room in Leon. I then made train reservations plus a change in airline ticket, with a travel agency. Two days later I received a notice from my charge card, saying my account was compromised. It had to have been the hotel in Leon and not the travel agency. As I was busy walking the Camino, I had a hard time finding a place to change my dollars. I was never in the right place at the right time. It turned out ok, but several lessons learned. The most important is to carry two credit cards, or a debit card. I'm in the process of getting a debit card for my Peace Walk adventure. My husband has a credit card with a different number, so I could always use his for purchases made over the phone. I had compromised his when I did mine because at that time we had the same number.

I am an American. Here are two experiences from my Camino-2015:

1. I brought with me several hundred dollars in cash, and had difficulty finding a bank in Pamplona that would change them into Euros. The one that eventually did charged large fees. (I am not complaining, only noting this.)

2. When I was returning to the U.S., I brought with me several hundred Euros. This year when I arrive to Spain, I won't be in a rush to get money.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A tip from travelling in some of the seedier parts of the world (like Cheltenham :)) I have a battered Tyvek wallet that contains about £20 Egyptian (about US$2), 40 Ukrainian Hryvnia (US$1.50) and a handful of those imitation credit cards they mail out trying to entice you to sign up.
I figure if I get mugged I give them that and by the time they figure THEY got screwed I've taken to my heels.

-So what happens if you lose all your money?
-Then you don't have any money! :D:D:D

Anyone with a piece of waving cardboard should not be anywhere near you!
YES! So true! I will add this to my collection of wisdom!

Yes, that happened to several pilgrims at the municipal albergue in O'Cebreiro when I was there in 2014. They left their cash stashes in their backpacks in the albergue and I was never clear if the thefts occurred at night while everyone was sleeping or during the day while they were out and about, but several of them had all their cash stolen.
Lesson to all prospective pilgrims...don't leave your money and/or credit/debit cards in your backpack.
Sure, no pilgrim would ever do this, but then there are tourigrinos and fake pilgrims too. The safest is to have all the money on you, always. Documents too. And don't wave it around, have it in a safe place that nobody, even your walking buddies don't know, move from there to pocket while you are inside wc cubicle or closed type shower.
Actually I did carry a lot of cash (close to thousand euros, almost all I used for Camino), didn't want to use ATM too often as I had read here that sometimes machines may "eat" the card. I did have alternative card. My Dutch friend said thats nonsense, she used the machines every now and then and had no problem. She stopped repeating it after one ATM did swallow an American guy's card right in front of us. Bank was open but they don't operate the ATM, there is a special company/division of bank who does, so there was no use to ask the branch for help. Only what can be done - call your special card blocking number and get a new card. Luckily the guy had several more cards, don't know if those were credit or debet cards.

I buy a zip the length of my passport, then using a piece of old cotton material I make a bag with the zip. I stitch the zip inside the back waistband of my trousers. Now I have a pocket with a zip inside my trousers which holds my passport, my cards in a little plastic envelope and an ordinary envelope holding the majority of my money.

I normally make sure that I am inside a toilet cubicle when transferring money into my purse.

I only use ATM's during daylight hours and when the bank is open.

I reckon I would have to be very badly mugged for anyone to get at my passport etc and as a little old lady I cannot protect against that. But having done my best to protect myself, I do expect my guardian Angel to do his job and to ensure that he is replaced if he goes on a cafe con leche break !!
"Angel of God, my guardian dear..." My first caution is the old Scout caution, which won't work for everyone.: the buddy system. (DH told me that, on our first camino when Icouldn't keep up. he always had me in sight. And I've seen the pictures he took when I didn't know the camera was out!) My second caution: I filed a travel advice with the credit card company--also we got the chipped cards. (In thte US the chipped cards are not usual/) My third caution: I made a small pouch for money, in it I stowed the big bills. I didn't hide in it a bra or panties, I was concerned that it would attract attention in the airport scanners. I did stow it in a different place than the coin purse. The small bills went into the coin purse with various other things, including the credit card and DL. My third caution: the national passport and the credencial went into the zipper pouch on the waist pouch. (AKA belly pouch or fanny pack) Often you need to show both the national passport and the pilgrim credencial. My third caution: this goes back to the buddy systtem: DH was with me when I withdrew money on the credit card at an ATM, and he was with me until the bills were stowed in the pouch and the card was stowed in the coin purse. BTW there was a difference in amounts that we noticed this last summer on the Camino Portugues: in Portugal, we could only draw 200 Euro, as soon as we crossed into Spain we could draw 300 Euro without any problem. Don't know why. (Never tried to draw more than 300 or so.)
Re: muggers: in a city, remember that you're in a city. It's apparently really easy to think that the environment of the isolated walking trail is the same environment as the city, just because you're a pilgrim. Ain't so. Common sense is your friend.
Buen camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I have only read this thread from the Moderator - great advice. I pulled out 200 Euro at a time from an ATM. I was robbed once of all my cash on one occasion, borrowed 20 euro until I could get to another ATM. I am returning this year and will keep my $ with me when showering. My ATM cards were with the cash - they remained while the cash disappeared - doubtful anyone would take your card minus you PIN!
Feel joyful and safe, and be judicious!
BC,
Thomas

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.