• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Soemthing to whet your Camino appetite -

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013 - 2018 , Pilgrim Office volunteer 2014 - 2022
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for the link, Tom.

Actually, I was quite surprised and pleased to find an article that is pretty true to the actual Camino experience. It seems obvious that the author walked him/her self and before a lot of the more commercial and "modern" attitude prevailed.

Nice article.
Ed
That's why I posted it. I usually refrain from posting these kind of articles because, as a rule, our content, is MUCH better.

But, in this case, the article was well written, by someone who had clearly "walked the walk."

Hope this helps.

Tom

I came across this CNN Travel article in my morning reading. It has general interest about the Camino. IMHO, it applies to all, want-t0-be, new and veteran pilgrims. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did.

Tom
This is the first article that I can remember that captures so much of what pilgrimage is, and how special being a pilgrim and living life as simply and with just the bare minimum of possessions. Just walking with the necessities of pilgrimage and life. Walking with peace and tranquility and being thankful of nature and the wonderful people, local people or pilgrims alike. I loved reading the different sections of what are the most basic and important aspects of why one walks. It was especially refreshing not to read about Michelin restaurants, hotels, luggage transportation (although I know that shipping backpacks makes it possible for more people to walk and this is only a good thing), complaints that a bed was too hard, or a bathroom not cleaned properly, etc. etc. etc.
We all have our own perspective on so many things in life. Mine is no better or worse than yours. But it is how I feel. A camino is not supposed to be easy. A camino is and should be hard. The balance of pain and pleasure makes everything richer.
As the writer of this story says:

You also must sort through your rucksack and get rid of the superfluous stuff – what my best friend calls the non-essential “just in case” items we always insist on packing.

Most importantly, you must sift through and reduce your “emotional rucksack”: all that unnecessary anger, bitterness, shame and blaming of yourself and others that you carry from life. Apply the spiritual version of zinc oxide tape: forgiveness – both to yourself and others.

So much less is so much more. Free your mind of the crap that brought you here. For so many, we have been carrying this around for years. Will it change? Most likely no. Forgive yourself, stop thinking, free your mind, and your body and spirit will follow.
As I say to so many, listen to your body, your mind will only get you in more trouble. Rid your thoughts of what was or what could be, all you have is the step you are taking.
Love this story. Thank you

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Tom, thank you. A well written piece, clearly based on experience. There are so many points to nod your head at, such a pleasure to read it.
Thank you @t2andreo @Kirkie has said it exactly. I rarely read / anppreciate articles about the camino. It’s such a personal experience. But I like this one, particularly the last few paragraphs. Two of my brothers will soon start the Norte together (one who has walked many Caminos and the other for whom it will be a first). I sent them the link. 🙏

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for the link, Tom.

Actually, I was quite surprised and pleased to find an article that is pretty true to the actual Camino experience. It seems obvious that the author walked him/her self and before a lot of the more commercial and "modern" attitude prevailed.

Nice article.
Ed
The author says he first walked in 2017. I think that was well after the modern conveniences were widespread. It just goes to show that a "traditional" pilgrimage is still available, if that is what one wants to walk.

This is the best "travel" article about the Camino I've read. The author is really Insightful and distills much of what the Camino is all about into a pretty short piece. Tom, thanks for posting this.
I gave my first “camino presentation” ever last week, finally giving in to a friend in the Rotary Club who had been bugging me for years.

One of the attendees emailed me the link to this article this morning, saying that if he didn’t know better he would’ve thought that the author had been taking notes in my presentation or that I had somehow seen an early draft of this article, because we pretty much said the same thing!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I came across this CNN Travel article in my morning reading. It has general interest about the Camino. IMHO, it applies to all, want-t0-be, new and veteran pilgrims. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did.

Tom
Someone shared this with me yesterday, and I agree, it was a refreshingly on target description but someone who actually walked out. Much better than expected!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back