• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do your own Camino

peter4lc

Time of past OR future Camino
St Jean to Logrono September 2018
I'm walking from Carrion de los Condes to Molinaseca next month, having previously walked from St Jean in two visits. I'm staying in hotels. I wondered whether the following attitude is widespread? In San Juan de Ortega I was having a friendly, relaxed chat with a group of people from various countries and I mentioned that I was waiting for a taxi to take me to a hotel in Burgos and would be dropped off again at San Juan the following morning. A woman rounded on me for staying in hotels. I explained that that was my choice, but she just would not let it drop and became quite unpleasant, trying to force her view on other people. I was relieved when she got up and went to her albergue, as it meant that the conversation could resume without anyone judging anyone else.

I am not quick-witted enough to respond as an Australian friend did, faced with a similar situation. When questioned about not staying in albergues she said she didn't think she had sinned enough to deserve that kind of penance! Also that she likes people but not that much.

I'm afraid it rather took the gloss off that day. My view is that everyone does the Camino for their own reasons and that should be respected. I love long distance walking and if staying in hotels and having my luggage transported ahead makes the experience more enjoyable, then so be it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
To me is rather simple ... no one has the right to judge another on how they make their Camino ... as it is a Catholic pilgrimage I think could be a good place for a Jeshua quote Matthew 7:3 -
“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye."

Did she have a smartphone? Expensive hiking kit? Credit cards? Had she health insurance? Travelled at great cost on an aeroplane? etc etc ... there is no 'pure' Camino as if somehow 'copying' the medieval era, except, possibly, if one is on a deep personal penance pilgrimage and that then is down to that particular pilgrim.

She would have had a better Camino had she followed that quote - sorry she upset you, ruined the evening.

Buen Camino!

p.s. There is a way of halting those people. When they take a breath just say "can I stop you there?" - they will stop; say thank you and immediately start talking about something else to another person. Gone.

Last edited:
I think that the attitude you describe is probably quite widespread but is far less commonly expressed out loud. Most of us prefer to avoid overt confrontations. I am by inclination a pedestrian fundamentalist and there is a lot about recent Camino practice I tend to disagree with. However, I do not get to set the rules for others to follow and they are entitled to make use of whatever services they wish. My own particular choices increasingly seem to be putting me in a minority anyway and so attacking someone verbally (or in writing here) for their choice of accommodation or using luggage transfers or taxis is ultimately a pointless exercise. Those ships sailed long ago.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I think that the attitude you describe is probably quite widespread but is far less commonly expressed out loud. Most of us prefer to avoid overt confrontations. I am by inclination a pedestrian fundamentalist and there is a lot about recent Camino practice I tend to disagree with. However, I do not get to set the rules for others to follow and they are entitled to make use of whatever services they wish. My own particular choices increasingly seem to be putting me in a minority anyway and so attacking someone verbally (or in writing here) for their choice of accommodation or using luggage transfers or taxis is ultimately a pointless exercise. Those ships sailed long ago.

I feel the same as you but I think the point is that one should not attack another, merely quietly get on with one's own 'traditional' style pilgrimage.

I wondered whether the following attitude is widespread?
The attitude exists. I've encountered it more frequently online, i.e. on this forum and in Camino Facebook groups than in real life on the Camino. I would sometimes pre-empt such argumentation and dogmatic attitude by saying, with a big and happy smile, that I am a "luxury pilgrim" and that I stay in a private room. Nowadays, I would not even bother and would not engage in any conversation about it. Smile and ignore them. Their idea and knowledge about pilgrimage and Camino pilgrimage and the Camino to Santiago is rather limited.

BTW, I’d be curious to know whether this pilgrim on the Camino Francés in San Juan de Ortega was a first time pilgrim? One can have a meaningful conversation with another pilgrim about what Camino pilgrimage means to oneself and to the other person, how it has changed and so on but not in the way you described it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
All very unfortunate and I’m afraid I have to concur that these awful attitudes are unfortunately alive and well on the trail.
On my second Camino Frances last year I had to have a transfer bag with me. I was beginning the trail alone but my wife was joining me in Leon to walk the last couple of weeks together. Prior to joining me she was visiting family in the UK and needed a completely different set of belongings for that trip. I agreed to take all her Camino stuff and backpack with me in an Osprey Transporter bag with wheels in which I also concealed some presents for her birthday due to be around Rabanal. I would have this bag transferred and we would switch the contents when she arrived in Leon.
The moral of this tale is don’t judge unless you know the whole picture!!
I hadn’t got out of Biarritz airport before an experienced male Aussie pilgrim was taking the piss out of me for the bag I was pulling behind me (he should know better)…..made me feel awful.
Standing outside Bayonne station waiting for the temporary bus service to SJPdP was the worst. I was completely ostracized and made to feel very uncomfortable. Backpack sporting pilgrims in huddles whispering and pointing. Audible ‘tuts and under the breath comments’ around me as I loaded the bag into the luggage compartment of the coach not to mention when I wheeled the damn thing from the station into St Jean.
And so it went on throughout the journey….I have no problem with anyone doing anything they want in any way they want to. This reverse snobbery is so uncalled for and nobody who was dishing it out in my direction had a clue what the real story was behind this bag. I was surprised at how crap it made me feel.

I'm walking from Carrion de los Condes to Molinaseca next month, having previously walked from St Jean in two visits. I'm staying in hotels. I wondered whether the following attitude is widespread? In San Juan de Ortega I was having a friendly, relaxed chat with a group of people from various countries and I mentioned that I was waiting for a taxi to take me to a hotel in Burgos and would be dropped off again at San Juan the following morning. A woman rounded on me for staying in hotels. I explained that that was my choice, but she just would not let it drop and became quite unpleasant, trying to force her view on other people. I was relieved when she got up and went to her albergue, as it meant that the conversation could resume without anyone judging anyone else.

I am not quick-witted enough to respond as an Australian friend did, faced with a similar situation. When questioned about not staying in albergues she said she didn't think she had sinned enough to deserve that kind of penance! Also that she likes people but not that much.

I'm afraid it rather took the gloss off that day. My view is that everyone does the Camino for their own reasons and that should be respected. I love long distance walking and if staying in hotels and having my luggage transported ahead makes the experience more enjoyable, then so be it.
Commiserations Peter,unfortunately CAMINO PIAs are sadly more plentiful than CAMINO ANGELS!
The attitude exists. I've encountered it more frequently online, i.e. on this forum and in Camino Facebook groups than in real life on the Camino. I would sometimes pre-empt such argumentation and dogmatic attitude by saying, with a big and happy smile, that I am a "luxury pilgrim" and that I stay in a private room. Nowadays, I would not even bother and would not engage in any conversation about it. Smile and ignore them. Their idea and knowledge about pilgrimage and Camino pilgrimage and the Camino to Santiago is rather limited.
Yes,I alway claim that I am the “ ensuitepilgrim “ which is also the title of my blogs!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Unfortunately, this attitude does exist, and part of the reason why this forum instituted rule #3.

Here's a good answer if you encounter this attitude again:
It sounds like you don't know much about the history of the albergue network on the Camino. They were set up to serve pilgrims with limited funds, and those who could afford it were asked to leave the albergues to those who couldn't afford hotels, and that's exactly what I'm doing.

Sorry this happened to you. I am more unhappy when staying in hotels than when staying in the community environment of albergues. We each experience the Camino differently and egocentrically think our way must be best. When I encounter a group of pilgrims bashing albergues, then I just tend to move on although it is my first instinct to defend these places I love. We all have are lots of opinions about the way other people do their caminos. Some are more vocal than others but the opinions are there whether we admit them or not.

It sounds like you don't know much about the history of the albergue network on the Camino. They were set up to serve pilgrims with limited funds, and those who could afford it were asked to leave the albergues to those who couldn't afford hotels, and that's exactly what I'm doing.

A bit more complicated than that. In the early years of the Camino revival many of the smaller towns and villages had no accommodation at all. Refugios and albergues were set up in many places to plug that gap. If you did not have vehicle support to drive you miles off the Camino then refugios were often your only option no matter how deep your pockets might be. Very egalitarian! :) The same was true of luggage transport - only for those groups or individuals who made their own private arrangements for a support vehicle. It took quite some time for numbers to reach a critical mass which could make private albergues, hostals and luggage services viable.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A bit more complicated than that. In the early years of the Camino revival many of the smaller towns and villages had no accommodation at all. Refugios and albergues were set up in many places to plug that gap. If you did not have vehicle support to drive you miles off the Camino then refugios were often your only option no matter how deep your pockets might be. Very egalitarian! :) The same was true of luggage transport - only for those groups or individuals who made their own private arrangements for a support vehicle. It took quite some time for numbers to reach a critical mass which could make private albergues, hostals and luggage services viable.
True, but I was thinking of a short and simple answer if someone pulls this attitude on the Camino, without engaging them in a long discussion or history lesson.😉

A lesson I learned, and am relearning, late in life is that what others think of us is none of our business. Whatever the issue, I find it unhealthy for me to remain in a contentious environment as another spouts their own version of how to exist. Take care of yourself, my friend, and Buen Camino.

I feel the way I feel and those feelings influence how I make decisions and choose to live. But another person will have completely different feelings, perspectives, and experiences that inform how they choose to live. It’s not my place to dictate how anyone else lives their life or makes decisions, unless it negatively impacts or harms me in some way.

Someone you don’t know but who presumes to tell you how to do something “right” likely is feeling a lack of within themselves and merely taking it out on you. See it for what it is and move on.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I feel the way I feel and those feelings influence how I make decisions and choose to live. But another person will have completely different feelings, perspectives, and experiences that inform how they choose to live. It’s not my place to dictate how anyone else lives their life or makes decisions, unless it negatively impacts or harms me in some way.

Someone you don’t know but who presumes to tell you how to do something “right” likely is feeling a lack of within themselves and merely taking it out on you. See it for what it is and move on.
Going deep here but the 'need' for someone to have an answer/advice for another might stem from the way they were raised. In my case, much was expected of this then eight-year-old who experienced plenty of shame if the right things weren't said. It's taken years to learn to be quiet and listen and to realize that I needn't fix everyone's world. It's been quite freeing! And as someone else pointed out, perhaps the Camino will allow such a realization to dawn.

I'm walking from Carrion de los Condes to Molinaseca next month, having previously walked from St Jean in two visits. I'm staying in hotels. I wondered whether the following attitude is widespread? In San Juan de Ortega I was having a friendly, relaxed chat with a group of people from various countries and I mentioned that I was waiting for a taxi to take me to a hotel in Burgos and would be dropped off again at San Juan the following morning.
Whilst that's perhaps not the ideal way to make one's way on the Camino, it's not intrinsically "wrong" either, and some of us are no longer in our 20s, 30s, or 40s ...

Using mod cons whilst still walking each step of the way, well -- not sure what you could be "blamed" for !!

You will it has to be said miss out on a part of the "social Camino" through such habits.

As to any use of private or public transport, it *does* have some negative impact from a "purist" perspective, though if it's from need rather than for mere convenience, and I myself have a disability which sadly can force me into a bus or hitch-hike from time to time, then that's just what the Camino will require.

Otherwise not only is there **nothing** wrong with staying in hotels along the Way, but I'd add that all of those who do so free up Albergue beds for those who can't, financially, unless by exception.

All very unfortunate and I’m afraid I have to concur that these awful attitudes are unfortunately alive and well on the trail.
On my second Camino Frances last year I had to have a transfer bag with me. I was beginning the trail alone but my wife was joining me in Leon to walk the last couple of weeks together. Prior to joining me she was visiting family in the UK and needed a completely different set of belongings for that trip. I agreed to take all her Camino stuff and backpack with me in an Osprey Transporter bag with wheels in which I also concealed some presents for her birthday due to be around Rabanal. I would have this bag transferred and we would switch the contents when she arrived in Leon.
The moral of this tale is don’t judge unless you know the whole picture!!
I hadn’t got out of Biarritz airport before an experienced male Aussie pilgrim was taking the piss out of me for the bag I was pulling behind me (he should know better)…..made me feel awful.
Standing outside Bayonne station waiting for the temporary bus service to SJPdP was the worst. I was completely ostracized and made to feel very uncomfortable. Backpack sporting pilgrims in huddles whispering and pointing. Audible ‘tuts and under the breath comments’ around me as I loaded the bag into the luggage compartment of the coach not to mention when I wheeled the damn thing from the station into St Jean.
And so it went on throughout the journey….I have no problem with anyone doing anything they want in any way they want to. This reverse snobbery is so uncalled for and nobody who was dishing it out in my direction had a clue what the real story was behind this bag. I was surprised at how crap it made me feel.
Wow wow wow!! So incredibly grateful that you wrote this response. I read IVAR almost daily and am always put out by the frequent commentary from the “purists” and/or repeat pilgrims who state: do this don’t do that - blah blah blah…. I understand that change is difficult and accepting change can be difficult. That said, indeed The Way …. As everything else is very different in 2023 than in 2017 and for myself my physicality in 6 years is diminished- injuries/operations to shoulders and feet - so when I walk the Camino and use transport service or a taxi after 15/20K to take me to my reserved room and backpack - I always feel like screaming THANK YOU GOD … for giving me the means to travel this path in communion with so many wonderful people, thank you for giving me this beautiful path in this most majestic setting, thank you thank you thank you! As for those who judge me - oh jee wiz- if you could feel how happy I am, if you could share this happiness I am certain you wouldn’t judge you’d want to sit and share a story, a laugh, a beer, an orange juice ……

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

And if I choose to stay in a hotel, that leaves a bed for someone who needs it!

I have never understood why anyone cares what other people do. If I stay in private accommodations, or ship a bag ahead or whatever else, it doesn’t affect anyone else. But some people really like the sense of superiority they get from criticizing others’ choices. I learned early on that the only person who gets to judge my Camino is me. Once I adopted that attitude I was less bothered by what other people might say.

I was feeling a little smug about myself, always carrying my backpack, maybe "looking down" just a little bit at pilgrims carrying just a day pack. No longer. A good friend, lifelong teacher, devout Catholic, a year older than me, had a stroke. It took her two years to regain the ability to walk almost normal, with an articulated leg brace. What inspired her was a strong desire to walk the Camino. It worked. She and her husband returned from walking Saria to Santiago with a genuine glow about them and a strong desire to return to the Camino. Of course she shipped her pack ahead. I think the day is coming for me when I can still walk the Camino but need to send my pack on ahead. I am grateful that option is there. Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think there is a tendency among many first-time pilgrims to think that they should follow a set of rules to conform to the popular view of what the Camino is. This is born out of insecurity as much as anything. I suspect that you are more likely to encounter this sort of snobbery on the Camino Frances where most people are first-timers and are determined to prove (to themselves and others) that they can meet the self-imposed challenge.

Undoubtedly, many of the veteran/repeat pilgrims have their own personal "rules", but they don't feel it necessary to confront others with them.

I suspect that you are more likely to encounter this sort of snobbery on the Camino Frances where most people are first-timers and are determined to prove (to themselves and others) that they can meet the self-imposed challenge.
The snobbery that occurs on other routes is anti-Francés snobbery.
I heard quite a bit of it this year on the Norte and Primitivo.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I wasn't an anti-Frances snob while on the del Norte and Primitivo -- just fearful of all the crowds I had heard about and joined when my routes met the Frances. But after a heart attack I needed to walk a Camino with lots of short stage infrastructure. Magic! I'll be back. Buen Camino

I wasn't an anti-Frances snob while on the del Norte and Primitivo -- just fearful of all the crowds I had heard about and joined when my routes met the Frances. But after a heart attack I needed to walk a Camino with lots of short stage infrastructure. Magic! I'll be back. Buen Camino
I haven't walked the Francés since 2019 (except for 4 days this year to give a group of newbies a "push start"), and in 2019 I only walked to León, then finished on the Salvador and Norte.
This year while on the Norte and Primitivo there were several times that I missed the "easiness" of the Francés - how you could usually count on passing through towns where you could stop for a meal or a snack every 4 - 8 kilometers. Where you can be more spontaneous and plan less because there are more frequent towns with accommodations. Other less traveled routes require more planning! There are often days when you need to decide between a short day of 14 km or so, or a long day of 32 or so.

Much as we would like to think that one of the beneficial transformations of a Camino is to become less judgmental, there are still some pilgrims with definite ideas of what an "authentic" pilgrimage is. Enough that there is a rule pertaining to that in these forums. One of the things some hold is that a pilgrimage must involve staying exclusively in albergues, sleeping in dorms. Otherwise it isn't a "real" pilgrimage. Of course this is arrant nonsense. I expect most of the historic pilgrim accounts that we have came from pilgrims who did not sleep in dorms, because they could afford better. Some of us remember a time when the infrastructure was less developed and pilgrims were advised to sleep in private rooms if they could afford to in order to leave the few available refugio spaces to those who really needed them.

There are benefits to sleeping in an albergue, the increased opportunity to interact with fellow pilgrims not least among them. But an "authentic" pilgrimage is not one of those benefits.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
True. I remember coming across that in some places that did have both less and more expensive options. O Cebreiro didn't have an albergue but it did have the pallozas. But if you could afford the inn....

There's a lot of fear of the crowds in regard to the Frances. I don't think it is really warranted. I walked the Primitivo this summer which, as you know, joins the Frances within the last 100 km, the most crowded part. And I joined the Frances in this most crowded part in the second half of July, arguably the most crowded time of year. In my experience, it wasn't noticeably any more crowded than the Primitivo (except perhaps at one or two bars). Of course, I didn't stop at Arzua or O Pedrouzo and that might have contributed to my experience of solitude.

Personally, I think a lot of the fear mongering that goes on is counterproductive.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, though here's the thing. We can really only post our own experiences so if someone who is experiencing difficulty posts, it is just as valid a personal experience as a person who did not experience difficulty. Readers may take the one person experience is the norm for the journey rather than just internally noting that some people have difficulty and others do not. A person who is more cautious may take a cue to make reservations and a person with more tolerance for the unknown may just wing it.

Another person notes that there are crowds while another posts that they walked in solitude much of the day on the same route during the same season. We can only post our own experiences with any certainty. Each will interpret through a personal lens.

Back to the OP, staying albergues and staying in hotels are different experiences. One is not better or superior, however, some people may like one more than another and may express that opinion.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We start the Ingles in 4 weeks. Have booked hotels and luggage transfer.
It's OUR Camino and we are going to have a wonderful time.
Look out for an English guy with his Belgian wife laughing and singing through Spain.
What you gonna do when you get there? Hug the statue, pray at the bones? Tick that one off your list? I look forward to the singing. I like to hear the singing 😃😊

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What you gonna do when you get there? Hug the statue, pray at the bones? Tick that one off your list? I look forward to the singing. I like to hear the singing 😃😊
It's a cross between Alice Cooper and Johnny Halliday. Should stand out.
Let's rock Ingles.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My old Gran used to shut down many a family ruck (ruckus, row, argument) with “if the hat fits, wear it”. If you’re a “pikey”, a ditch-pig, a “gippo” or a pilgrim wear your hat. Nothing else matters in the slightest.
Gran’s theory was that other people had problems: she didn’t.

I appreciate that the OP had a problem with a Cambridge Punt but all in all that was but fluff on the breeze. Sneeze and it’s gone

We start the Ingles in 4 weeks. Have booked hotels and luggage transfer.
It's OUR Camino and we are going to have a wonderful time.
Look out for an English guy with his Belgian wife laughing and singing through Spain.
Dang, I'm not walking Ingles until the end of October, I would have liked to hear you singing!

The Camino is a great learning environment. Some still are on their journey of learning not to judge. Others sometimes when we are on the receiving ends of growth hopefully in progress. I try not to take other people's judgements too personally, nor let them wreck my beautiful day, & sprinkle them with prayers. I continually pray to have logs from from my own eyes removed, and especially for ones that I don't even realise I have. 🙏

I was feeling a little smug about myself, always carrying my backpack, maybe "looking down" just a little bit at pilgrims carrying just a day pack. No longer. A good friend, lifelong teacher, devout Catholic, a year older than me, had a stroke. It took her two years to regain the ability to walk almost normal, with an articulated leg brace. What inspired her was a strong desire to walk the Camino. It worked. She and her husband returned from walking Saria to Santiago with a genuine glow about them and a strong desire to return to the Camino. Of course she shipped her pack ahead. I think the day is coming for me when I can still walk the Camino but need to send my pack on ahead. I am grateful that option is there. Buen Camino.
Thanks. Inspirational story about your friend. As it happens I had a stroke at 56 (thankfully it had no lasting effects), and when it was diagnosed I had just booked to walk from Logrono to Carrion. I asked the consultant whether I could still do it, and he said yes, and he would encourage me to do things like that. But I have to be careful as a stroke is a red light which never joins with amber and turns to green.

Hi Peter!
I stay in private rooms with private bathrooms in Hotels,Pensions and Albergue's!
I have said before i like the company of others but not the snoring,talking,coughing and farting in a bunk room! I am a light sleeper.
If anyone called me out in an aggressive manner in public i'd tell them to to go play in the traffic (well two word expletive actually): they don't deserve a polite rebuke.
I wouldn't give a stuff about some nasty persons opinion of you; i feel sorry for their family and those that that know them that have to suffer their arrogance on a daily basis.

Walking a Camino and staying hotels. Yes or no?

I thought I'd look it up in my 'How to act as a pilgrim' guidebook, but couldn't find it. Must have misplaced it.

But, after thinking about it thoroughly: it's ok to judge somebody else. If you're a trained judge that is and have taking the oath. And only during working hours in a court of law.

Otherwise: let other people make their pilgrimage the way they want to or prefer. And invite them to join you for dinner and some drinks afterwards. If we manage to do so, we all might have a good time.

I'm sorry for the way you were treated. Don't let it spoil your Camino. Remember: your way of doing your Camino is the only way. If you'd do it differently you'd be walking somebodey else's Camino and that can never be the meaning of a pilgrimage.

Buen Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When I first heard of the Camino almost 20 years ago, I thought you had to stay in Albergues, and was sad because I knew it wouldn’t be possible for me to walk a Camino. As the worlds lightest sleeper, I wouldn’t be able to function for more than a few days. How thrilling it was to learn there are small pensions and hotels as an alternative, setting off on my 6th next week!

When I first heard of the Camino almost 20 years ago, I thought you had to stay in Albergues, and was sad because I knew it wouldn’t be possible for me to walk a Camino. As the worlds lightest sleeper, I wouldn’t be able to function for more than a few days.
If that's your only choice, and it's a long enough Camino, you do learn to sleep in any conditions -- especially if you start some sufficient distance away and before SJPP.

Having said that ...
How thrilling it was to learn there are small pensions and hotels as an alternative, setting off on my 6th next week!
Glad to hear you found a working alternative !! :cool:

If that's your only choice, and it's a long enough Camino, you do learn to sleep in any conditions -- especially if you start some sufficient distance away and before SJPP.
I usually walk in quiet seasons and on the less-travelled Caminos. I am a light sleeper and snorers in particular can ruin my night's sleep. When I walk busy routes and stay in crowded albergues I usually take a break with a private room now and again to catch up on lost sleep. Or sometimes I have a long afternoon nap under a tree somewhere out of the way before finding my bed for the night. Apart from constant rain there is little worse than sleep deprivation for getting me down.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I usually walk in quiet seasons and on the less-travelled Caminos. I am a light sleeper and snorers in particular can ruin my night's sleep. When I walk busy routes and stay in crowded albergues I usually take a break with a private room now and again to catch up on lost sleep. Or sometimes I have a long afternoon nap under a tree somewhere out of the way before finding my bed for the night. Apart from constant rain there is little worse than sleep deprivation for getting me down.
Eh !! I think I don't usually snore too much, but did I that night in SJPP last January ?

I was feeling a little smug about myself, always carrying my backpack, maybe "looking down" just a little bit at pilgrims carrying just a day pack. No longer... I think the day is coming for me when I can still walk the Camino but need to send my pack on ahead. I am grateful that option is there.
I have arrived at that "station" this year.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My view is that everyone does the Camino for their own reasons and that should be respected.
Couldn’t agree more. The young woman concerned was very fortunate to meet you and not me …

In the 1970’s my father’s godmother (in her late 60’s/ early 70‘s herself) drove a group of elderly nun’s (her word) to Santiago from Southhampton, UK . With the Bishops blessing, and a shell on the front of the car. Recognised and welcomed all along the way as the pilgrims they were .

You do you , fellow pilgrim, and Buen Camino!

After I finished walking the Primitivo a young man in Santiago asked if I planned to walk "the real Camino" anytime soon... :rolleyes:
Funnily enough, I had a similar experience at the end of my Primitivo last month. I laughed, and then asked how many Caminos they’d done? Answer : 1 . You?oh, it’s just my second, I’m not much more experienced than you…(actually, less- my 1st was the Ingles- total trail time for me 17 days versus their 40!)
I then asked if they knew the Real origin of the Camino (which I myself only learned this year, but hey, these youngsters didn’t know that!!). Answer - er, no…. I then proceeded to lecture them….
Ps: yes, I do intend to walk the Frances… when time allows.
as you know, joins the Frances within the last 100 km
That’s one of those things that really bugs me. Pedantic, but:
If the Primitivo is the first- which it undeniably is - then doesn’t the Frances join the Primitivo ?

If the Primitivo is the first- which it undeniably is - then doesn’t the Frances join the Primitivo ?
I'm not sure how undeniable it is. Certainly, many consider Alfonso II the first pilgrim and he went from Oviedo to Santiago. But did he follow the route of the modern Primitivo? Are there records of what route he took? And, more importantly, does one pilgrim make a "route"? Is there evidence that many others followed in his footsteps (or, more likely, horse tracks) following the same route he took? If they didn't could one say the route persisted?

Certainly for the modern revival of the Camino de Santiago the Camino Frances predates the Camino Primitivo, as I can personally attest.

That said, I tend to think of the Camino Frances and the Camino Primitivo merging in Melide rather than giving priority to one or the other. I apologize if my wording gave a different impression. I spoke of the Primitivo joining with the Frances because the Primitivo is the one that I was on so I made it subject rather than object of the sentence.

Couldn’t agree more. The young woman concerned was very fortunate to meet you and not me …

In the 1970’s my father’s godmother (in her late 60’s/ early 70‘s herself) drove a group of elderly nun’s (her word) to Santiago from Southhampton, UK . With the Bishops blessing, and a shell on the front of the car. Recognised and welcomed all along the way as the pilgrims they were .

You do you , fellow pilgrim, and Buen Camino!

Funnily enough, I had a similar experience at the end of my Primitivo last month. I laughed, and then asked how many Caminos they’d done? Answer : 1 . You?oh, it’s just my second, I’m not much more experienced than you…(actually, less- my 1st was the Ingles- total trail time for me 17 days versus their 40!)
I then asked if they knew the Real origin of the Camino (which I myself only learned this year, but hey, these youngsters didn’t know that!!). Answer - er, no…. I then proceeded to lecture them….
Ps: yes, I do intend to walk the Frances… when time allows

So like, a lesson i've learned having walked a bunch is that me doesn't matter. It took me a while so I don't expect youngsters to pick up on it on their first. I barf when I read how many times i said "me or I" in the previous sentences.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Certainly for the modern revival of the Camino de Santiago the Camino Frances predates the Camino Primitivo, as I can personally attest.
I appreciate that, but I assume by the modern revival you're referring to the amazing work by Father Valiña in the 1980s. But as I understand it, he was revising the ' ancient route ' established by King Sancho the Great and King Alfonso VI across their territories of Navarra and Leon respectively.

Supposedly history records King Alfonso II as having made a Camino to Santiago, which judging from historical maps would have had to roughly follow at least part of the modern Camino, due to border restraints, availablity of villages/ towns along the way (Lugo etc). And which subsequently lead to the creation of the Hospitales etc along the way, all of which predate the modern Camino?

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate that, but I assume by the modern revival you're referring to the amazing work by Father Valiña in the 1980s. But as I understand it, he was revising the ' ancient route ' established by King Sancho the Great and King Alfonso VI across their territories of Navarra and Leon respectively.
From all that I read from the time, (the book Waybread by Laurie Dennett is a great resource on the subject) the modern revival was really looking at Picaud's guide in the Codex Callixtinus primarily. So, while the work in Spain was focused on Aragon, Navarre, Rioja, Castilla y Leon, and Galicia, there was a recognition of the four French routes that flowed into it and a number of pilgrims (like Laurie Dennett in her Camino in the mid 80s, or a friend of mine who walked from Arles in 1990) started from further back in France.

and a number of pilgrims (like Laurie Dennett in her Camino in the mid 80s, or a friend of mine who walked from Arles in 1990) started from further back in France.
I first learned about the Camino from my late mother-in-law. In 1985 she walked from SJPDP in an international group led by an eccentric who had himself walked barefoot from Paris to Santiago a short time before.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I appreciate that, but I assume by the modern revival you're referring to the amazing work by Father Valiña in the 1980s. But as I understand it, he was revising the ' ancient route ' established by King Sancho the Great and King Alfonso VI across their territories of Navarra and Leon respectively. Supposedly history records King Alfonso II as having made a Camino to Santiago, which judging from historical maps would have had to roughly follow at least part of the modern Camino, due to border restraints, availablity of villages/ towns along the way (Lugo etc). And which subsequently lead to the creation of the Hospitales etc along the way, all of which predate the modern Camino?
I am not challenging the primacy of Alfonso II as the "first pilgrim". I am wondering about whether the path he took became an enduring route followed by many pilgrims.

I know there are ruins on the Hospitales route which have been identified as pilgrim hospices. I don't know the strength of those identifications. I would love to think they are correct. I also know I was told by locals that the claims are tourism marketing hype and they were shelters for herders. I certainly am not saying either way.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't know that there was a bustling thoroughfare from Oviedo to Santiago that pilgrims on the Frances joined with in Melide when the Camino Frances first started to be established in the middle ages.

It may be interesting to consider this in light of how we now talk about the Frances and the Aragones. When I first came across the Camino, there were a couple of ways of looking at it. You could say the Frances passed through both the Somport and Cize (Roncesvalles) passes. Many maps showed that. Sort of like you now see maps that show the Mozarabe starting in both Almeria and Malaga. Or there were a few that showed the Frances starting in Puente la Reina, where the Camino Aragones and the Camino Navarres met.

Historically, in the early middle ages, most of the traffic went through the Somport pass. Only later did the Cize pass gain in importance. So if we give primacy to the older path, we would say that the pilgrims over Cize joined the path from Somport. Of course, we don't say that now. We have given primacy to the Cize path and now say that the path from Cize is the Camino Frances and the path from Somport is not and that the Camino Aragones joins the Frances in Puente la Reina. We seem to give primacy to traffic rather than history.

As I said before, my choice of words "joining" was poor. "Merging with" would have better captured the sense I was looking for.

Last edited:
[
As I said before, my choice of words "joining" was poor. "Merging with" would have better captured the sense I was looking for.
[/QUOTE]

Appreciated, and my original post wasn't aimed specifically at you - it's just most people word it exactly as you did. Rather than ' where it is joined by the Frances ' or as you've just said, 'where the Primitivo and Frances merge...'
At the end of it all, it's just another step on The Way....

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I share your views! We did the same. We actually chose December to hike to reduce the crowd and just dressed accordingly. It was a Jacobean year and the celebration on the 31st was wonderful! What treat to have had that experience. I was celebrating my 60 th bday so I felt I could really do it my way!
When we finished and retired to Costa Rica and designed a Camino from Atlantic to Pacific to help rural communities have a new source of income. For those who want to try it- no Roman bridges just hanging bridges…www.caminodecostarica.org

I grew up in a really not very politically correct (come to think of it that term didn't exist haha) and pretty rough lower middle class working neighborhood in The Bronx. To give you an idea my dad made garbage cans, and my three best friends dads were, taxi driver, house painter and newspaper delivery man. Often getting yelled at by our dads for doing something completely stupid or hanging out in the candy store listening to the made guys and low lifes in training hoping to be made one day. I will give you The Bronx answer that is simple and to the point and will probably shut a person like this down pretty quickly. "What do you care? If they continue your next response is "go find someone who gives a.... ! You can always spice it up if you really would like to follow The Bronx way. Simple, to the point, and easy to remember;)

I agree. I don't always stay in albergues and have my luggage transported. Makes for a very pleasant and enyable Camino

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

I'd agree with anyone who talks about not judging.
If our aim is to do a "pure" Camino (whatever that is...) maybe we need to heed the guidance embedded in what this "pure" aim is all about, and remember to "judge not, lest ye be judged", for example. No one gets to dictate what anyone else's Camino "should" be!
But of course, we are all fallible humans, and we forget, and we compare, and some of us can't keep our mouths shut for whatever reason, maybe because we had a hard day ourselves.
I'm sorry this day was affected, but I hope you've been able to drop it and focus again on YOUR aim and YOUR Camino, which is whatever you choose it to be.
Buen Camino, Pilgrim! <3

I share your views! We did the same. We actually chose December to hike to reduce the crowd and just dressed accordingly. It was a Jacobean year and the celebration on the 31st was wonderful! What treat to have had that experience. I was celebrating my 60 th bday so I felt I could really do it my way!
When we finished and retired to Costa Rica and designed a Camino from Atlantic to Pacific to help rural communities have a new source of income. For those who want to try it- no Roman bridges just hanging bridges…www.caminodecostarica.org
How wonderful. Congratulations.

I have been reading about this camino on another thread started by a forum member @LCT who has recently walked it. Looks wonderful. And my nephew lives in Ojochal and I’ve never visited. It seems now I have no excuse.

Bravo. 🙏

Here's my two cents. I, not some stranger...
  • planned MY camino,
  • purchased all the necessary hiking gear,
  • paid for my plane ticket to and from Spain,
  • made hotel reservations,
  • paid for a train ticket,
  • paid for a bus ticket, etc, etc, etc...
therefore, I'm not at all concerned about some stranger's opinion as to how a camino "should" be done. Do your own thing and don't let anyone sway you diffently. Buen Camino!

2016 a friend and I were doing a motorcycle tour of France and Spain and one evening we arrived at our hotel, checked in, shower, outside having a beer. The lovely lady who checked us in came out got in a car and drove off, returning a while later with two women with rucksacks. At the time I had not even heard of the Camino (I know, I hang my head). Little later one of the two women came up to us and said we had taken their table to which I replied We had not as we had booked it on arrival. She said they were hoping for an early dinner as they wanted an early start and I said Join us, which they did. So we had dinner and chatted and they told us what they were doing, i.e the Camino and told us all about it. Then they saw a woman and waved saying they knew her and she was a solo walker, I suggested she join us too. (I told her my only German joke, took it well). Then a gentleman stood up and called for a toast to all who were walking the Camino. Everyone in the dining room bar me and my friend! Each and every one had been collected or took a taxi and were returning the next morning to resume where they left off.
Do your Camino your way , which I did in 2019. I stayed on Camino but did use transport for my bag in the second half due to a long term spinal problem

"Do your own thing" applies to choosing how much money you want to spend and what level of food/accommodation you want. It doesn't mean you are not part of a traveling community and responsible for your own civility and behavior.
My problem with the "luxury pilgrims" is many of them come fully prepared to defend themselves against albergue-using "fundamentalists," and they end up becoming overly defensive and preachy about "This is MY Camino" without any kind of prompting. Three of these people shipped their bags ahead to Najera Municipal when I was hospi there a couple of months ago. They came to pick up their bags, used the bathroom, and told me there's no way they would ever stay in "conditions like these, with these kind of people..." but they were happy enough to take advantage of our bag drop-off place, which they so kindly told me was "very camino-spirited." (I guess making life easy for them is very camino?) They'd booked into a hotel.
They came back later with another pilgrim who was registered with us. They'd bought groceries, and expected to use our kitchen and dining facility to make and serve a group dinner.
The OP's argument cuts two ways. Bottom line: Don't tell others how to be pilgrims. And don't be an entitled jerk.

"Do your own thing" applies to choosing how much money you want to spend and what level of food/accommodation you want. It doesn't mean you are not part of a traveling community and responsible for your own civility and behavior.
My problem with the "luxury pilgrims" is many of them come fully prepared to defend themselves against albergue-using "fundamentalists," and they end up becoming overly defensive and preachy about "This is MY Camino" without any kind of prompting. Three of these people shipped their bags ahead to Najera Municipal when I was hospi there a couple of months ago. They came to pick up their bags, used the bathroom, and told me there's no way they would ever stay in "conditions like these, with these kind of people..." but they were happy enough to take advantage of our bag drop-off place, which they so kindly told me was "very camino-spirited." (I guess making life easy for them is very camino?) They'd booked into a hotel.
They came back later with another pilgrim who was registered with us. They'd bought groceries, and expected to use our kitchen and dining facility to make and serve a group dinner.
The OP's argument cuts two ways. Bottom line: Don't tell others how to be pilgrims. And don't be an entitled jerk.
yah. its a fine line.

“Lady, I am not a child and you are not my mother.”
If she doesn’t get the hint, you might have to add “In other words, mind your own business!"

I don't think that I have ever said that "it is my Camino".

I may have thought that "it is not your Camino", meaning that nobody owns it or runs it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For the record: Neither the OP nor I have said

I did not say anything about backpack transport. Can different topics be kept separate perhaps?

I cannot speak for the OP but I have never had my backpack transported. Not once on some 2000 km to and from Santiago. I don't stay in dormitories with bunkbeds unless there is no other option that I regard as feasible and reasonable. I've slept in many dormitories, and in {exaggerated quotation marks}""worse""{exaggerated quotation marks} accommodation, numerous times and I would do so again without hesitation. But not on the Camino Francés which has a vast and diversified accommodation infrastructure.

Edited for correction.

Last edited:
For the record: Neither the OP nor I have said anything about backpack transport. Can these two different topics be kept separate perhaps?

I cannot speak for the OP but I have never had my backpack transported. Not once on some 2000 km to and from Santiago. I don't stay in dormitories with bunkbeds unless there is no other option that I regard as feasible and reasonable. I've slept in many dormitories, and in {exaggerated quotation marks}""worse""{exaggerated quotation marks} accommodation, numerous times and I would do so again without hesitation. But not on the Camino Francés which has a vast and diversified accommodation infrastructure.
For the record the OP wrote "I love long distance walking and if staying in hotels and having my luggage transported ahead makes the experience more enjoyable, then so be it." Pretty sure that is backpack transport but what do I know?

For the record the OP wrote "I love long distance walking and if staying in hotels and having my luggage transported ahead makes the experience more enjoyable, then so be it." Pretty sure that is backpack transport but what do I know?
I obviously did not read the first post until the very end. 😂

I stand corrected and so does my earlier comment, now edited and corrected.

So we have peregrin@s who don't stay in dormitories but stay in albergues which also have private rooms and don't have their backpacks transported; or who never stay in albergues of any kind but otherwise the same as before; then the same but with backpack transport, either to their accommodation or to a pickup point; those who justify their staying in hotels and those don't feel the need for a public justification; those who justify their backpack transport because they have grown too old or have injuries and those who don't feel a need for public justification; and and and ...

Last edited:

I agree with you 100%! I would have been tempted to grab my camera and ask someone to take a photo of her and me. Then I would have asked her, “Who appointed you Constable of Pure Camino Rules?”

Out of curiosity I’d like to hear more about your fundamentalist views and what you disagree with in current Camino practices. With my health concerns, I likely won’t be able to follow them all, but I like to hear different people’s views and reasoning.

Hi Peter!
I stay in private rooms with private bathrooms in Hotels,Pensions and Albergue's!
I have said before i like the company of others but not the snoring,talking,coughing and farting in a bunk room! I am a light sleeper.
If anyone called me out in an aggressive manner in public i'd tell them to to go play in the traffic (well two word expletive actually): they don't deserve a polite rebuke.
I wouldn't give a stuff about some nasty persons opinion of you; i feel sorry for their family and those that that know them that have to suffer their arrogance on a daily basis.
Hi, I'm headed to the Camino, solo and as a first timer in just one week and I too have the same preferences. However, I can't find a way to filter albergues for private rooms or prepared meals on Wise Pilgrim. And I saw one post that said to book ahead rather than as you go given the volume. I didn't expect that for the end of October. Finally, the albergue website price is about a third the price on Booking.com. I'm feeling pressure to find the right accommodations before I go that have private rooms, are centrally located, have prepared meals or access to markets not closed between 4-8 pm and are accessible directly (Booking be gone). Are supermarket open all day? Any experience with Ninja pilgrim app? Tempted to use chat GPT. Any advice?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It does take bit of effort. If you book as you go it won't seem as overwhelming and will give you time to see how far you can walk each day.

It does take bit of effort. If you book as you go it won't seem as overwhelming and will give you time to see how far you can walk each day.
That was my plan until I read that volume is still high and am concerned that if I wait until the day of I may have trouble finding anything. It's just one post but it's current. I plan to check the registry. Thank you for replying.

Hi Maureen!
I used booking and Gronze!
Gronze lists places to stay along the Camino's with contact details!
Click the link below for the Frances stages from Sarria onwards!
. https://www.gronze.com/etapa/sarria/portomarin
If you click on the first button on the Gronze map SARRIA it will open a list of accommodation and you can see what is available regarding private rooms in all types of places!
Woody

Hi Maureen!
I used booking and Gronze!
Gronze lists places to stay along the Camino's with contact details!
Click the link below for the Frances stages from Sarria onwards!
. https://www.gronze.com/etapa/sarria/portomarin
If you click on the first button on the Gronze map SARRIA it will open a list of accommodation and you can see what is available regarding private rooms in all types of places!
Woody
That's terrific. Thank you! The Wise Pilgrim app has great listings too but it doesn't show which offer private rooms. It's essential for the first night.

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back