• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

solo on march

georgebak

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello

Im planning to start from rocenvalles at the 15 of march alone.
I need your opinion.
First im thinking it would be difficult to be alone.
Secontly the pilgrims are less thiw period of year than the summer.
Finally im a bit worried about the albergues what i have to do if i found them closed.

NOTE: i cant change the dates or find a partner. The only way to walk is alone on march

Thanks in advance and sorry for my english

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You will have no problem if properly prepared with appropriate layered clothing.

On the Camino there will be enough people never to be alone (as you wish, your choice).

Plan ahead, each Albergue will advise what is open on the next leg. Pay attention to their advice.

Buen Camino.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
By March, the number of pilgrims will be increasing, so you will not be alone. I started in March, and there was a group of about ten who walked similar stages. After Sarria, there will be more.

The weather can be cold, snowy, or icy in the higher elevations, so be prepared.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for the immediate answers..
im familiar with the equipment for the variety of weather contitions.
The scenario which terrifies me is to sleap alone in the albergues, find stores closed at villages and dont see pilgrimes for days. But this is far away from your experience

the scenario which terrifies me is to sleap alone in the albergues, find stores closed at villages and dont see pilgrimes for days. But this is far away from your experience
You may be alone in the small albergues. The small tiendas close in the winter, and may not open until April, so plan purchases for the larger cities. Bars and restaurants between major stops are closed, so you have to plan your water, coffee, and food. I have found that hospitaleros are not curious enough to know what is open ahead. They will call for you, but don't expect them to know in advance!:)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I totally get the concern about being alone, I think worse case you may have to dine alone. But I think the sooner you communicate your wish to have a walking “family” you may be suprised at those that feel the same. Harsh weather seems to pull people together.
Buen Camino
Keith

Easter falls on 1 April, so Holy Week begins on March 25 with Palm Sunday. Many will walk over the Easter holiday, so it is only the first ten days of your journey that should be any concern. I doubt you will be alone unless you wish it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello

I need your opinion.
Finally im a bit worried about the albergues what i have to do if i found them closed.

NOTE: i cant change the dates or find a partner. The only way to walk is alone on march

If you really don’t want to get alone feel. Go with moonwalking steps. Then ‘You are not alone’ anymore.

Um.... I’m so sorry I’m really specialized in breaking mood but making friends and let them go, for me was so hard I got huge hurt!

Walking alone might be best option prevent from after camino depression.

Last edited:
I must ask did you put this together? I smile because Elvis is an Interesting choice, yet can you imagine him walking back in 1976 :) he would make quite a walking mate.
No, it wasn't my video. For some reason the OP's "im thinking it would be difficult to be alone." caused me to think of the song and I googled for it. Elvis came up on top and I liked the sequence of photos and I remembered his rendition from way back when it was recorded so that is what I picked.

Elvis liked singing gospel music. I'm having some trouble picturing him singing it in Spain's churches though.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No, it wasn't my video. For some reason the OP's "im thinking it would be difficult to be alone." caused me to think of the song and I googled for it. Elvis came up on top and I liked the sequence of photos and I remembered his rendition from way back when it was recorded so that is what I picked.

Elvis liked singing gospel music. I'm having some trouble picturing him singing it in Spain's churches though.
Lol he did have an amazing voice, yet I do believe a Camino may have been just what he needed.

You will not be alone, as a matter of fact my Husband and I will be leaving around that time from SJP so who knows we may even see you on the Camino. My feeling is that it will not be as busy at this time of year, a bit cooler (especially depending where you are from) so as a result not everything will be open. Because of my nature I am doing a lot of research that I will probably throw out the window when I start walking and start experiencing the Camino.

Hello

I need your opinion.

With Easter Sunday being the 1st April 2018 the Camino will already be busy in the second half of March, so you will rarely walk alone. Also, the majority of albergues, apart of a few "summer only ones" will be open. So, no need to worry and Buen Camino, SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back