Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Solo woman on Primitivo in August

Karoissunshine

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino primitivo in August 2018
I was planning on walking the Primitivo with my partner in August, but he may have to leave the Schengen area for a bit in order to not overstay illegally. I am now considering walking it alone. However, this would be my first camino, and I have some inhibitions about route choice as a solo walker. Would it be better for me to switch to the Frances? Am I silly to worry?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am a young woman planning to walk this + a bit of the Norte solo in June!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I did the whole Primitivo from Oviedo to Santiago in July 15 and it was amazing, you should have no hesitation in doing it alone, I met nothing but friendly people and saw the most wonderful scenery, I was so glad I chose this camino as I knew the Frances was going to be too busy in July and actually when I hit Melide and it started to get busy I decided to go a bit south off the main route and walk my own path to Santiago for 2 days which was also wonderful

I agree with Jools completely. As there are fewer pilgrims than CF (also fewer hostels), this tends to be a more intimate experience if you are a solo walker. When I walked last year (May) hostels were full and I met helpful friendly people of all ages and nationalities.
Yes, no need to worry--I found the signage excellent and you are walking in a busy month. Take a good water bottle or back-pack-water-device. It may be sizzling.............

I'll be solo doing my first camino (Primitivo) in August as well. I wouldn't have picked it if I hadn't have done plenty of research and come to the conclusion that it was safe and do-able. Mbe see you on the trail :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just make sure you have the ability to carry plenty of water. It’s a beautiful route but very hot with all the elevation gain.

How fit would you need to be to do the Camino Primitivo as first Camino???

I am relatively fit, but have been completely dormant and sedentary for months now and plan to walk the Primitivo at the end of April... Is it possible to do this not having done much prep but gain fitness as I walk day by day ... Are the hilly bits tough???

How fit would you need to be to do the Camino Primitivo as first Camino???

I am relatively fit, but have been completely dormant and sedentary for months now and plan to walk the Primitivo at the end of April... Is it possible to do this not having done much prep but gain fitness as I walk day by day ... Are the hilly bits tough???

Hi, Zebrajay,

Welcome to the forum!

I have walked the Primitivo a couple of times and have always met people walking their first camino, people who hadn’t trained prior to walking, and all of whom enjoyed themselves tremendously and made it to Santiago. It is true that these were all Europeans, who have a much higher baseline of average daily activity that those of us in the sedentary US (not sure where you’re from), but I think that if you listen to your body and take the time it takes to get there without pushing it, you will have a great camino. In terms of ascents, there are lots and lots, every day you will have hills (you should look at gronze.com where you can see the elevation profiles). But I think the only ascent that is really steep (as opposed to just “regular” steep) is one part of the walk from Pola de Allande up to the Puerto de Palo, and you can avoid that by taking the Hospitales route. Another that comes to mind is the ascent that you take when you cross into Galicia, but it doesn’t go on too long. Descents are quite another matter — two really steep descents, one from Puerto de Palo and one down to the dam at Grandas. Those can be killers on your knees. But if you have enough time so that you can cut your days short if need be, or take a taxi if you are wiped out, I think you will be fine.

Of course, you have a month and a half to increase your physical activity, which would be good preparation! Buen camino, Laurie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I was planning on walking the Primitivo with my partner in August, but he may have to leave the Schengen area for a bit in order to not overstay illegally. I am now considering walking it alone. However, this would be my first camino, and I have some inhibitions about route choice as a solo walker. Would it be better for me to switch to the Frances? Am I silly to worry?
I did the Primitivo by myself last August. It was my first Camino. I didn’t feel unsafe at all. The only part I didn’t enjoy so much was the last 2 days where it joined up with the CF ...so many people, graffiti, rubbish. Enjoy the Primitivo - it’s fantastic.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.