• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Some Vasco observations

NualaOC

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
A few and hopefully lots more.
I spent a few days on the Camino Vasco Interior in May of this year. A short 'taster' walk, made even shorter by dodgy weather on the mountain/tunnel stage. I'm looking forward to returning and perhaps walking from Bayonne to Burgos.

A few observations that might be helpful to others.

I don't usually complain about road-walking, but there's such a lot of it between Astigarraga/Hernani and Besain. That said, there are plenty of services (water, benches, parks, cafes, grocery stores, great public transport, food, polideportivos) and very friendly local people. Pilgrims are a small part of daily life here, but we're very warmly welcomed. In other words, there's a plus side to all that road-walking.

When in Tolosa: don't miss the amazing puppet museum! I walked from Astigarraga that day and took a few wrong turns as I chose not to use my phone in the rain. It was a long and tiring day. My grumpiness was quickly dispelled by the enchanting display of puppets and the passion of the person who welcomed me. It's hard to describe how special this place is.

The bar/cafeteria in the Hotel Bide Bide (beside the museum) has good and reasonably priced food. It's a useful option if you find yourself very hungry outside the normal Spanish dining times. I had hoped to eat in Ama (recommended by @SabsP and @VNwalking, so it must be good!) but it was closed.

Besain to Zegama: there are a few options for this section:

1. Road (GI-2637): a flat c.13kms. A good option for those seeking short daily distances, or wishing to continue beyond Zegama. Otherwise (IMO), it's just another day of road walking, when there are nicer alternatives!
2. Gronze route: via Olaberria, Idiazabal & Segura: a more undulating (and beautiful) 17kms, with a mix of terrain and environments.
3. Gronze route to Segura, GR or road to Zerain, then a choice of routes to Zegama (Gronze shows this as 20kms, which I think is by road from Zerain to Zegama)

I took option 3, which began with a steep climb out of Besain, followed by followed by country roads with great views above and below. After that, a well-marked off-road trail towards Idiazabal (famous for its cheese).

tempImagelpDDTC.jpg tempImageV2JuRS.jpg

The descent into Idiazabal was soon followed by a steep ascent, leading towards Segura. (where I was the main attraction for a group of pre-schoolers on an outing!).
I had plenty of time, so I followed the GR markers from Segura to Zerain (c.4kms). This was mostly off-road and very peaceful.

tempImagekyRgpg.jpg tempImageXEZoh4.jpg

I briefly thought about staying in the tourist albergue in Zerain, but decided to continue to Zegama. I followed an impromptu and longer than expected off-road option (8kms), using Google maps. This was perhaps a little irresponsible, but it turned out fine (thanks to a very helpful local man). The path eventually joined a beautiful tree-lined country road, leading to the outskirts of Zegama.

tempImageFlS7nL.jpg tempImagexyyco9.jpg

I may or may not have taken the path described by @peregrino_tom here. Sorry this is so vague - it was all very 'in the moment.'
All in all, about 23kms from Besain to Zegama and I loved every minute.

I was glad to arrive at the Zegama Albergue, which was exactly as @WestKirsty described here.

I met my first and only pilgrim in the albergue - a Dutch man walking the Vasco in reverse. He warned me that the mountain was very treacherous in the rain and advised against undertaking it alone. I kept an open mind as his 'backwards' version probably had a steeper descent than the regular route. However, after a night of constant rain and dense cloud the next morning, I decided not to take any chances. Next time!

I didn't see much of Zegama, but enjoyed afternoon and morning snacks in Bar Txanton (thanks Kirsty for the recommendation). The little Eroski supermarket near the albergue was handy and well-stocked.

Alegría Dulantzi (or Salvatierra Agurain) to Vitoria Gasteiz.
There's a lot of road walking on these sections and a particularly uninspiring final approach to Vitoria. If you want to avoid this, and you don't mind missing the Romanesque churches and monastery (don't judge me 😄), there's a viable alternative on a nearby Via Verde (walking/cycling trail on an old railway line).

Not for everyone, but I really liked it. I'll do a separate post about this shortly. Here's a little taster in the meantime.

tempImage9yhKkT.jpg tempImage0Vkoxs.jpg (A very different perspective on those ugly buildings!)

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Nuala
That pic of the sheep is beautiful. A memory that takes us all back to our times on the way. (Any of them ❤️).
You’ve captured ‘black sheep ‘ & blonde in front of him ‘ looking at you ‘ and then rushing to catch up to the front group .. I see 2 on the wings overtaking black sheep. I’m a sucker for animals and birds .
It’s a great summary . Very kind of you to record the detail to share. ❤️❤️❤️

Nuala
That pic of the sheep is beautiful. A memory that takes us all back to our times on the way. (Any of them ❤️).
You’ve captured ‘black sheep ‘ & blonde in front of him ‘ looking at you ‘ and then rushing to catch up to the front group .. I see 2 on the wings overtaking black sheep. I’m a sucker for animals and birds .
It’s a great summary . Very kind of you to record the detail to share. ❤️❤️❤️
Thanks so much, Annie - lovely observations. I should have posted this ages ago but it was nice to relive those memories today (when I should have been working 😊).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Nuala! I was hopping up and down as I read your post, so excited that another pilgrim had actually ventured to Zerain 😀😀😀
And getting back to civilisation - I remember a heap of wooden signs pointing to different trails deep in the forest, and it was very hard to work out which to follow - excpet that the way was down..
I think that following the Dutch pilgrim's advice was a good call: when you get to the tunnel and through it you are on a hewn limestone track. It's very uneven and much of it is shiny, and would be treacherous when wet. I remember it took a lot of concentration in dry conditions to negotiate it.
Best wishes, tom

Thanks for the great information. I'm in my planning stages for early December. I would love to see the Tunnel de San Adrian, but that will be a game time decision based upon weather. I noted your food and museum recommendations for Tolosa.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Nuala! I was hopping up and down as I read your post, so excited that another pilgrim had actually ventured to Zerain 😀😀😀
And getting back to civilisation - I remember a heap of wooden signs pointing to different trails deep in the forest, and it was very hard to work out which to follow - excpet that the way was down..
I think that following the Dutch pilgrim's advice was a good call: when you get to the tunnel and through it you are on a hewn limestone track. It's very uneven and much of it is shiny, and would be treacherous when wet. I remember it took a lot of concentration in dry conditions to negotiate it.
Best wishes, tom
Thanks Tom, I bookmarked your Zerain post a long time ago and was determined to go there!

I think I saw those signs in the forest, but had trouble making sense of them. A man on a digger saved the day and pointed me in the right direction. I was momentarily freaked-out when he appeared behind me a few minutes later, but he was just walking back to his lorry. Conveniently, this was at the road junction where I needed to go.

When preparing this post today, I noticed something on Gronze about dangerous dogs on that trail. Yikes!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back