• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spanish Villages for Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
They might be going cheap but they do require a solid business plan and financial backing for developing. If somebody could prove me wrong on that - I would be extremely happy! Buen Camino, SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Why for US citizens? It says nothing about being US specific. Or does it?

This document was written for US citizens and was published by the CONSULADO GENERAL DE ESPAÑA EN SAN FRANCISCO

What about requirements for the rest of the lot? I'm a Spanish national so I don't need this info, but when it it is posted, as a way to put a damper on the OP, I am curious about the need to post, and its relevance.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
when it it is posted, as a way to put a damper on the OP, I am curious about the need to post, and its relevance.
I would not assume that motivation for posting it. Rather, someone asked about the requirements for Canadians; another posted the requirements for US citizens, thinking it might be similar; and finally that information was offered up.

I would not assume that motivation for posting it. Rather, someone asked about the requirements for Canadians; another posted the requirements for US citizens, thinking it might be similar; and finally that information was offered up.
It is very interesting & tempting. Personally Spain would be a very lovely place to retire.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
This document was written for US citizens and was published by the CONSULADO GENERAL DE ESPAÑA EN SAN FRANCISCO

My mistake, I did not realise the OP was only meany foe US citizens. I thought it was there as a cute post of general info that did not need to be shot down by information to let US citizens there may be some hurdles before moving to another country and/ or buying property.

Canadians already know all about buying a. Illage as we watch Schitt's Creek weekly on the CBC.

It can be seen as a kind of bargain and an opportunity -the dream of a quiet life in a beautiful landscape.
And, too, as the sad end of a history. I suppose those villages had traditions, families, hopes. They are gone; apparently, no memories of them. They are disappearing, as if they had never existed.
Btw, they are announced as "villages" (not farms, or houses). I suppose villages have public property spaces -squares, cemeteries, roads. Can they really be sold and bought? Just curious.

It can be seen as a kind of bargain and an opportunity -the dream of a quiet life in a beautiful landscape.
And, too, as the sad end of a history. I suppose those villages had traditions, families, hopes. They are gone; apparently, no memories of them. They are disappearing, as if they had never existed.
Btw, they are announced as "villages" (not farms, or houses). I suppose villages have public property spaces -squares, cemeteries, roads. Can they really be sold and bought? Just curious.

From what I read there are dozens if not maybe a hundred of these "villages" up for sale. Some villages are just farms while others are groups of buildings owned by different people making the actual transaction hard to complete. In fact it seems none or maybe one or two, have actually been sold as a village, indicated by the articles I read - maybe because it is tough to get a group of home owners to agree on a common deal.

It might be just wishful thinking on part of both sides - those that want to buy a village and those that want to sell their village.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
And sooner or later the new owners wall up their property, block the old communal paths, and force people (and sometimes, pilgrims) to walk besides the traffic of a paved road. But I digress...

In the early 1990s, we stayed in the house of a Spanish friend who was at that time working in the Middle East, as were we. Then, there were only 2 families living in the village and most of the other houses were dilapidated. We returned a couple of summers ago, and could barely recognise the place. So many houses had been renovated and significantly improved! All the gardens were walled. The fields too had ceased to be pasture land, and become scrub or woods. At the weekends, the village was full of people, but they all went back to their homes come the Monday. Every one of the regard the village as their ancestral home. Come the winter, there is only 1 other family apart from our friend left. So it's not just foreigners who change the character of a village.

My mistake, I did not realise the OP was only meany foe US citizens. I thought it was there as a cute post of general info that did not need to be shot down by information to let US citizens there may be some hurdles before moving to another country and/ or buying property.
Canadians already know all about buying a. Illage as we watch Schitt's Creek weekly on the CBC.
I am completely confused and dismayed by these statements. I did not see any nefarious intent in those posts. Some of us Canadian don't watch TV weekly, CBC or otherwise, so I have no idea what that program is about, either. Let's drop the unnecessary and divisive nationalistic interpretations.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Here is the US one can buy entire towns...usually this is rare and they are small. A few years (decades??) ago the actress Kim Bassinger (9 1/2 weeks) bought one in Georgia. Just recently the near-by town of Harmony, CA (population 18) was sold. If our drought continues, California may go from a state that would be the sixth leading in the world (edit: based on GDP) if it were a country (sorry France, just edging you out:)) to having a lot of little ghost towns where all the wells have gone dry.

Now, back to my daydream of buying one of these towns and building the 'perfect' albergue:)

Last edited:
Just keep us posted on the Opening Day! I will try to be there, with my usual tired looks and muddy boots!
it will be wonderful...separate rooms for early risers, late risers, windows open, and windows closed. no special room for those who snore, because believe me (I spent a lot of time awake at night due to nightmares), ALL pilgrims snore (me too). Turn down service, with mints on the pillows....:rolleyes:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

According to an English dictionary on Internet, a hamlet is "a village with no church of its own, belonging to a parish in another village or town"
I´m sure that all those "villages" for sale in Galicia are really hamlets. Therefore they don´t have a church or cemetery. Cemeteries in rural Galicia are not municipal property, they are owned by the church. The roads are never private, they are municipal property. There aren't other public property spaces.
I think that in a hamlet (usually no more than 3 houses) for sale, all the owners agree and therefore there shouldn´t be any problem with the operation.

Schitts Creek is a CBC comedy about a family who has bought a village. No nationalistic interpretation. A simple google can k form about about it. As for why posts about requirements for Americans appeared, I still have no idea as I do not see a single post asking for this information. I think the OP was for information, an opportunity, something positive, amd it was rained on with links about hurdles. A pitty. But at least some reponded to positive stories of how some villages have been revived, despite hurdles I'm sure.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Schitts Creek is a CBC comedy about a family who has bought a village. No nationalistic interpretation. A simple google can k form about about it. As for why posts about requirements for Americans appeared, I still have no idea as I do not see a single post asking for this information. I think the OP was for information, an opportunity, something positive, amd it was rained on with links about hurdles. A pitty. But at least some reponded to positive stories of how some villages have been revived, despite hurdles I'm sure.

Back on post 3 somebody asked about the regulations about visas for Spain for Canadians. Initially I found the documentation for Americans but I found later the requirements for Canadians. I was not trying to single out one group of people vs another group of people. I am sure the rules for getting a visa for Spain are the same for all.

However ....

If you seriously interested in buying a village in Spain one thing to consider is to form a cooperative strata which itself has a number of shareholders that can share the investment and risk of buying a village.

According to an English dictionary on Internet, a hamlet is "a village with no church of its own, belonging to a parish in another village or town"
Don't overestimate my proficiency with the subtleties of English language...;)
Sometimes, in my talks with American or British pilgrims, I have discovered that, obviously, synonyms have similar, but not always the same meaning. This happens usually when they look confused or startled after I try to express an idea...:D

Don't worry, When I was in Africa the Australians had to translate between me and the British on safari...I'd have sworn we weren't all speaking English, and they felt I couldn't be from California since I'm not blonde. :)

Don't worry, When I was in Africa the Australians had to translate between me and the British on safari...I'd have sworn we weren't all speaking English, and they felt I couldn't be from California since I'm not blonde. :)

Try understanding a Geordie :confused: Somebody from Newcastle (UK) now there is a challenge! :D SY

Don't overestimate my proficiency with the subtleties of English language...;)
Sometimes, in my talks with American or British pilgrims, I have discovered that, obviously, synonyms have similar, but not always the same meaning. This happens usually when they look confused or startled after I try to express an idea...:D

I´m sorry Felipe . Mine was only an introduction trying to explain that in Galicia most villages don´t have cemeteries. For example, O Cebreiro is a parish (it has a church and a cemetery) . There are other 7 villages/hamlets: Barxamaior, Fonteferreira, Foxos...etc that "use these facilities":)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Try understanding a Geordie :confused: Somebody from Newcastle (UK) now there is a challenge! :D SY
Or some of the Scottish people along the villages of The West Highland Way.....sometimes it was a very big challenge to understand them.

Don't worry, @Pelegrin . I just felt you were building a case from a casual and loose word from a non-native English speaker. I wrote "hamlet" because I had searched in Google Maps the location of one of the places on sale, and to me seemed as hamlets of farms glorified as "villages" because it is more marketable.
So, cemeteries (I suppose the rural ones) in Galice are owned by the church? I did not know that.
I don't obviously have any objections to people or associations going to the country looking for rural, simpler life, revitalize decaying villages (or hamlets!) or establishing a business (or an albergue); I do have issues when this ends with the blocking of public roads and paths. I know some cases where the Camino was affected this way; same for some dirt roads in my country, sadly.
In the countries with hispanic legal heritage there is the "servidumbre de derecho de paso". I don't know how to translate this concept (right of way?) but it implies that an owner must recognize some consuetudinary usage (servidumbre), in this case that pedestrians can cross the property by a designated path. I read somewhere that British have some well respected tradition in this sense, too.

I think here it's an easement...luckily (in my experience at least) primarily for city access, not just anyone climbing over my fence and continuing on, as the people of Spain so graciously allow us to do.
Each time I saw little welcome signs near gates we use, or was wished a Buen Camino, I thought what might happen if I were hopping over fences in Texas...(no offence to Texans, I loved my year in that state, but you have to admit...)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Don't worry, @Pelegrin .
In the countries with hispanic legal heritage there is the "servidumbre de derecho de paso". I don't know how to translate this concept (right of way?) but it implies that an owner must recognize some consuetudinary usage (servidumbre), in this case that pedestrians can cross the property by a designated path. I read somewhere that British have some well respected tradition in this sense, too.

Yes, there is "derecho de paso" in Spain. In Galicia in flat terrains there are usually alternative ways. In mountainous areas is easier the village could have a path to serve other villages, but in any case I don´t think this would be a big problem.

What are immigration rules for Canadians?
It depends in part where you are from in part. It also depends on why you are wanting to come to Canada. At my last count, there are 28 categories by which you can enter Canada temporarily or permanently. Although laden with legalese gobbledygook the trustworthy government website:

will begin to lead you in the right LEGAL direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back