• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

spend night in bayonne or SJPDP? then santiago to finnesterr

peregrinacheena

My first camino from SJPDP to Santiago! I am leaving next week, flying into paris and staying for a couple of nights before taking the early train out to bayonne. My schedule is pretty flexible, i have over a month and a half to finish. Was wondering if its more interesting to stay the night in Bayonne or SJPDP, or even 2 night there to explore?

Also, I have a camino guide book for santiago but not all the way to finnesterre (sp?), how long is that last portion, is it clearly marked and would you recommend going all the way?

Thinking of traveling for a couple of weeks after the camino before flying back ot the states from Madrid, any recommendations.

Thanks! this forum is wonderful.

Buen camino to all

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
First, it is about 4-5 easy days Finisterre. It can be done in 3..but those are long days.

Second, my recommendation is to get on to SJPP and have an overnight look. Then, start the adventure. That way you have time on the Camino to slow down or to spend extra days at one of the many places along the way that grab your interest. Most people do not have this choice as their time is critical and they must keep moving. Having lots of time is a real blessing.

Bayonne is not usually described as "quaint," while SJPdP is. Great Basque food in Bayonne, but food can be excellent in SJPdP as well. Accommodations are less expensive in SJPdP if you choose pilgrim facilities. Either can be seen in a half-day or less. There is little to say about the choice from a factual point of view, but opinion will abound!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Santiago to Finisterre is around 90km about 3-5 days additional walking or you could take a bus trip.

As far as Bayonne versus SJPdP, I have stayed in both and find SJPdP much more enjoyable. Bayonne is a much larger and busy city while SJPdP is more quaint and relaxing. It depends on what you prefer. Your choice might also depend on when you arrive in Bayonne. I believe the last train to SJPdP is at 18:11.

Enjoy your Camino and poco poco.

Ultreya,
Joe

thanks for the advice! will spend a night at SJPDP and aim to continue onto Finisterre...
which pilgrim facilities would you recommend in SJPDP that is clean and reasonably priced.
thanks

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Reasonably priced is a different number for everyone. There are several nice private hostels, B&B's and hotels in SJPdP. I recommend you call ahead and make a reservation. If you plan on staying in Minicipal Albergues on your Camino, I recommend you treat yourself in SJPdP. You can go to a site like Hotels.com and they will describe the options available. You are about to embark on a special journey. Just remember to pack light and poco poco.

Buen Camino,
Joe

Hoping to spend under 20euros, I tried L'esprit du chemin but haven't heard back from them yet, think they may be full. Has anyone stay at Gite Ultreïa? I would prefer a albergue instead of a hotel since I want to meet fellow pilgrims, should be great fun to share the excitement and anticipation of starting an adventure.
btw, what does poco poco mean, little little, is it in reference to packing, going light, I've seen it several times...

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Poco poco translated means little by little or gradually. I use it in terms of relating to how I would recommend you pace your Camino. It was recommended to me and I found it to be sage advice.

Never stayed at Gite Ultreya.

Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Although it has been suggested that you will be able to stop and spend more time in towns and other places that are worth exploring you may find that more difficult than you expect. If you get friendly with a group of walkers by staying those extra days you will loose touch with them and fall in with another set of people. I'm not saying that is a bad thing just that you may find it harder to slow down than you expect.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back