• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Should I spend a night in Madrid before heading to Sarria?

brocansky

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi there. I could use some help. I fly into Madrid from California on a Sunday afternoon in October. I need to be in Sarria on the following Monday (departing on the Camino on Tuesday morning). It’s a long flight and I know I’ll be wiped out and won’t have much ability to navigate tricky travel.

Here are my questions:

1) Should I stay in Madrid Sunday night and travel to Sarria on Monday? If so, what’s the best way to get to Sarria?

2) Or should I go straight to Sarria on Sunday from the MAD airport? If so, what’s the best way to get there?

3) Or do you have a different recommendation?

Thank you in advance!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, welcome to the forum!

I haven't done that particular journey, but out of curiosity, I looked at rome2rio.com to see what they suggested. It seems that the most direct train routing goes only once per day, leaving Madrid (Chamartin) at 13;15. So, you might not have a choice about staying over, unless you want to take a longer bus trip with a change or two, and arrive quite late in Sarria.

Let's see if someone comes along with some better knowledge.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It would be a pity to miss at least a short stay in Madrid.
Maybe look at your transport options first and work back from Sarria arrival time?

I had less that 24 hours in Madrid on the way back from my last Camino, but I wanted to go to see Guernica by Picasso. It was amazing. I was at the Museo Reina Sofía when it opened, and shot straight up to what level it was on. Then caught my flight back home out of MAD.

The evening before I strolled, had tapas etc. The Plaza Mayor is great as is the Mercado de San Miguel (food/tapas market) just off the Plaza Mayor.

Sarria is a small place. ;)

I haven't travelled Madrid to Sarria myself. But looking at Rome2Rio (always a good tool to start travel planning) the options all seem similar in terms of travel time. Bus/Fly/Bus. Train. Bus.

Maybe have a look at schedules and see what works best for you?

Coming from so far away like you (Sydney Australia) I always try to maximise my experience pre and post Camino, by dropping in to interesting places along the way. Once on Camino, I totally chill.

Last edited:
As C clearly says, it'd be good to clarify the train options first, but really Monday looks a better day to travel to Sarria than Sunday evening. And that will negate any stress related to tight schedules and potentially missing connections if your flight doesn't arrive on time.
The Charmartin station is a few km north of the centre, but it's on the Metro system. Hopefully someone will come along soon who has done all the steps of this journey already...
As for staying a night in Madrid - the question is really 'why wouldn't you?'. One of the great capitals of the world. I stayed in The Hat hostel close to the Plaza Mayor which I really enjoyed. The buffet breakfast in the roof garden is comprehensive, and will set you up nicely for the rest of the day.
For when you arrive, there's a frequent airport bus into the city centre. But if you find you are too tired to manage that, then Madrid operates a 30 euro flat rate for taxis into the city centre.

While the exact details are fuzzy, I do remember coming into Madrid (flight from Houston) kind of late and needing to stay the night as the train to Pamplona didn’t leave until the next day. I had to negotiate a train from the airport into the city where I stayed in a hostel for the night. It seemed like a big deal at the time, but really wasn’t all that difficult, except it was pouring rain (ha ha). At the end of the trip I took a bus back to Madrid (from Astorga) and stayed two nights so that I could do some sightseeing. I was actually there for Halloween 🎃!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I always stay a night in Madrid. Train to Sarria the next day is convenient. Be aware that they are working on the train line so the last leg of the journey this summer was by bus. Renfe put us on the bus at Ourense and then about another hour to Sarria. Very easy and they take care of the details.

I always stay a night in Madrid. Train to Sarria the next day is convenient. Be aware that they are working on the train line so the last leg of the journey this summer was by bus. Renfe put us on the bus at Ourense and then about another hour to Sarria. Very easy and they take care of the details.
We just stay out by the airport having been to Madrid several times. My need to sleep after the trans Atlantic flight out weighs any need for a night of sightseeing.. I chose a hotel with an airport shuttle, sleep, then shuttle back in the morning and take the Cercanias train to Chamartin from the T4 terminal to catch the train.

What time do you arrivein Madrid? If you want to rest, go to
hotel Chamartin, the One. It is at the train station that goes to SdC.

https://www.hotelchamartintheone.co...MIxYyC7pDhgAMVr9vjBx26Ag6nEAAYASAAEgIdFPD_BwE

But if it were me, I might look for a flight to from Madrid to SdC. Only takes an hr. If you can find a flight, consider this alternative. Use Skyscanner. There are flights for less than $100 still available without luggage. Also weigh, however, that it would be a non connecting flight and you would need to allow enough time between flights. Nevertheless, regardless of means of transportation, I would rather push on the first day, and then have a whole day to rest before starting to walk. In addition, it is recommended to get on the arrival country ‘s time ASAP. So sleeping as soon as you arrive might not be a good idea, particularly as you don’t really have any extra time to adjust to the time change. Many of us do take an extra day or two before walking right away.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi there. I could use some help. I fly into Madrid from California on a Sunday afternoon in October. I need to be in Sarria on the following Monday (departing on the Camino on Tuesday morning). It’s a long flight and I know I’ll be wiped out and won’t have much ability to navigate tricky travel.

Here are my questions:

1) Should I stay in Madrid Sunday night and travel to Sarria on Monday? If so, what’s the best way to get to Sarria?

2) Or should I go straight to Sarria on Sunday from the MAD airport? If so, what’s the best way to get there?

Thank you in advance!
Don’t miss Madrid, even if only for a night! We took the train to Sarria, arriving late afternoon. It was perfect (you actually transfer to a bus toward the end). Highly recommend. Departs 1315, arrives 1753. Booked directly through Renfe.

Here are my questions:

Thank you in advance!
Hi

I would suggest staying in Madrid overnight. There is a train from Chamartin Station to Sarria daily at 13.15 and it takes a little over 4 hours. To return from SDC to Madrid there are several high speed trains every day. From memory that journey is around 3 hours.

Buen Camino

Vince

Last edited:
In the 'Forums' drop down menu, go to 'Tags' and then 'Madrid'. There you will find discussions pertinent to the city, including transport options and accommodation recommendations.

Were it me in your shoes I would stay overnight in Madrid prior to getting the train to Sarria. Yes, you could taxi in from the airport, but I found the airport bus quite convenient, and cheaper of course. After you check into your accommodation in central Madrid you can have a little stroll around. This is a excellent way to combat jetlag and get into the rhythm of your new schedule. Of course be uber conscious of your surroundings and keep valuables close and secure, just as you would in any major city.

If you intending to buy walking poles, now would be a good time to get them. There is a Decathlon right across from the Atocha train station in central Madrid. Also there are several Orange and Vodaphone shops in el centro where you could pick up a sim card, if that is also something you intend to do.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I strongly encourage you to change your schedule - to give yourself a day or two to recover from your flight from CA before walking. I fly from Oregon every year and give myself at least 2 days in Pamplona before heading to SJPP, then walk the day AFTER that. It's no good if you're too weary to enjoy it.

Here are my questions:

Thank you in advance!
No spend 2 nights and then go. Visit the the Prado. Great preparation for dialling down and getting a good start in Sarria. down the

As C clearly says, it'd be good to clarify the train options first, but really Monday looks a better day to travel to Sarria than Sunday evening. And that will negate any stress related to tight schedules and potentially missing connections if your flight doesn't arrive on time.
The Charmartin station is a few km north of the centre, but it's on the Metro system. Hopefully someone will come along soon who has done all the steps of this journey already...
As for staying a night in Madrid - the question is really 'why wouldn't you?'. One of the great capitals of the world. I stayed in The Hat hostel close to the Plaza Mayor which I really enjoyed. The buffet breakfast in the roof garden is comprehensive, and will set you up nicely for the rest of the day.
For when you arrive, there's a frequent airport bus into the city centre. But if you find you are too tired to manage that, then Madrid operates a 30 euro flat rate for taxis into the city centre.
Thank you so much!! I hadn’t really thought about how different transportation options are on Sundays vs Mondays. I will definitely stay in Madrid Sunday night. And will figure out the train route to Sarria for Monday. I believe there’s one train. Hope I don’t miss it!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Super helpful. Thanks for these tips!!

Here are my questions:

Thank you in advance!
Others are giving you the same advice, but I will pile on by saying stop in Madrid and catch the train the following day to Sarria. Trains are easy and Monday trains will likely have more options. I just did the return from Sarria to Madrid in May and it was easy. It sounds like your plans are already set to an extent, because I would actually tell you to spend a few days in Madrid. Madrid is a terrific town and it is a shame to just breeze through it. Plaza Mayor and the old downtown area are terrific fun. Go to the Prado and get acquainted with El Greco.

But don't fret over the connections. Getting from airport to train in Madrid is not hard and the trains are quite comfortable. Connection from airport to Charmartin is by a quick express metro train you can catch at the airport. Free buses run from terminal to terminal at the airport to get you to the train connection. It is pretty easy. Biggest warning is just to make sure you go to the right train station. Most trains to the north go out of Charmartin. The other train station - Atocha - serves other directions. I mistakenly got on a bus for Atocha before I quickly realized the mistake and had to bail out one stop later after paying the full fare. Have a great Camino.

Super helpful. Thanks for these tips!!
If you are only staying in Madrid for the one night I would suggest taking a food tour. Restaurants in the Plaza Mayor with photos of their food are not the best places to eat. Drink Tinto de Verano rather than sangria. Devour Tours are a bit pricey but very good and will take you to restaurants that locals eat at rather than tourists.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Here are my questions:

Thank you in advance!
Spend the night in Madrid. Train to Sarria

Here are my questions:

Thank you in advance!
We are making that same journey also in mid October. We arrive in Madrid about noon. Having seen Madrid before we are choosing to catch the afternoon train to Sarria then taxi to Samos for our start. Check Renfe for schedules.

Hi, welcome to the forum!

I haven't done that particular journey, but out of curiosity, I looked at rome2rio.com to see what they suggested. It seems that the most direct train routing goes only once per day, leaving Madrid (Chamartin) at 13;15. So, you might not have a choice about staying over, unless you want to take a longer bus trip with a change or two, and arrive quite late in Sarria.

Let's see if someone comes along with some better knowledge.
Yes that is correct about the train . It is a good idea to stay one night in Madu to get over the jet lag

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back