• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St. Jean Pied de Port

sander Leu

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2017)
Hello, my name is Sander, I am 18 years old now, and will be 19 when i plan to walk Camino Frances this summer. I was told to start off in Saint Pied de Port, and since I am totally new to this I figured this was the place to ask. How do I get to Saint Pied de Port? Like, what is the nearest airport, and how do I get from there to Saint Pied de Port? I can use all the help I can get! :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Sander, welcome to the forum.
It would be helpful if you tell us where you are flying from because there are a lot of combinations.

Oh yeah, of course, I am flying from Denmark, either Billund or Copenhagen airport.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Fly to Biarritz, train to St-Jean-Pied-de-Port, or fly to Pamplona, bus to St-Jean-Pied-de-Port, or fly to San Sebastian and train to St-Jean-Pied-de-Port, or fly to Pau and train to St-Jean-Pied-de-Port.

Follow the links here for further details

You can fly direct from Copenhagen to Biarritz which is the closest airport to SJPDP.
From Biarritz you have the option of getting a bus to Bayonne and a train from there to SJPDP. Alternatively you can use Expressbouricot which is a taxi service, the cost depends on the number of passengers.

Hi Sander,
I completed the Camino by bike last June.
From St Pied de Port to Finisterre.
I'm Aussie and flew into Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport which has a TGV train station in it. 2 changes and 3.5 hours and I was in SPdP. The last change was onto a smaller "local" Train.
https://m.en.voyages-sncf.com
Lastly. Tips. It is amazing but the "Camino will provide".
Go as light in your pack as you can. I saw Pilgrims sending have sleeping bag home, buy a Silk bag liner, you could rely on the Allergies to supple a blanket or take a very lite bag.
I took smart phone and a small camera, each had to have cables and chargers. the phone was also to be my music, I did not use it.
Walk your boots in, do a training week of 20/30km walks each day, you will be doing that for weeks.
The Allergues are clean cheap and friendly, mixing with other pilgrims but take a bit more money and have a few "quiet" nights in a hotel, yes you will need ear plugs.
I used the Brierley Guide plus the list of Fav Allergues
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés
Hope this helps
PS
Pilgrims on the Left, bikes on the right.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Or fly to Paris, then trian to Bayonne (Bordeaux line) and hop,on mini train to SJPP. And don't let peope sway you from walkijg from SJPP. It's a "bucket list " item..

@sander Leu you may be trying to shorten the name for convenience, but if you are looking for "St. Pied de Port" in the transport links, you won't find it. Try "St-Jean-Pied-de-Port".

You can fly direct from Copenhagen to Biarritz which is the closest airport to SJPDP.
From Biarritz you have the option of getting a bus to Bayonne and a train from there to SJPDP. Alternatively you can use Expressbouricot which is a taxi service, the cost depends on the number of passengers.

Okay, that's very helpful, thank you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Sander! I'm Danish too. :)

I walked the Camino in 2015 when I was 20. We flew from Billund to Paris and from Paris to Biarritz, although my (now) fiance and I stayed in Paris for some days since he has family in France (and it was actually also the cheapest solution). From Biarritz we drove with - and what's her name? - Carolines Taxi I think. But it's not Caroline... Anyone who remembers her name? Anyway it was a cheap way to travel directly from the airport to Saint Jean.

She pickes up pilgrims at the airport and drives them to Saint Jean. Although she double booked and actually there weren't room for us, so she had to call a regular taxa for help. She paid the difference though, so it was nice service and still cheap!

I would recommend you plan ahead and book a room at a hotel or at a albergue some time before you go. We did not know it was necessary, so we spent hours finding a place to sleep. Eventually we found a "nice" old lady who rent us a room for 60 euro, where the bed almost collapsed beneath us and there was no heat. It got pretty cold. Analbergue is usually 7-15 euros pr night.

Anyway I wish you held og lykke and buen camino! Ultreia et suseisa!

EDIT: it was express bourricot taxi we used.

@sander Leu you may be trying to shorten the name for convenience, but if you are looking for "St. Pied de Port" in the transport links, you won't find it. Try "St-Jean-Pied-de-Port".
If looking for St. Jean on the https://www.alsa.es/en site for a trip from Pamplona you need to spell out the name in full: Saint Jean Pied de Port

SJPdP is connected to Bayonne by SNCF train all year.

SJPdP is connected to Pamplona by CONDA (ALSA) bus on seasonal schedule.

The closest airport is Biarritz/Anglet/Bayonne BIQ.

Chronoplus bus #14 connects Anglet Airport to Gare Bayonne.

The closest airport in Spain is San Sebastian EAS. The airport is located near the Irun border crossing, and about 5 km from Gare d'Hendaye.

There are SNCF trains from Irun/Hendaye to Bayonne.

There are myriad options for getting to Bayonne, Pamplona, or Irun/Hendaye.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back