• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St Olavsleden

gittiharre

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2022 Camino Portuguese and Primitivo
Hi. I am considering this for July next year, solo.
Is it good, I am scared about possible bear encounters.
What about weather and packing list?
Usually organise my own accommodations. Can I wing it with accommodations or should I use Nordic Pilgrim service?
Would love some input. Thank you!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked the S:t Olavsleden in 2018, starting in late Jun and arriving in Trondheim two days before Olsok, and staying for the Olavsfestdagene. I booked the night that I arrived in Sundsval, and the first two nights walking. My wife arrived in Trondheim a couple of days ahead of me and had booked accommodation there.

Most of the rest of the time I booked a day or two ahead, but there are few places you might want to get accommodation booked earlier than that. Skalstugans Stiftelse near the border is the holiday resort for a Swedish bank, and well worth staying, albeit expensive. Tännforsen is worth considering, as well as Kvarnvägen 26 just outside Pilgrimstad.

You do need to keep an eye on where you can shop for provisions. I always carried some form of emergency reserve in any case, but there are a couple of longer stretches where you might need to carry food for a couple of days, especially if you choose to stay in mere remote huts for a couple of nights.

My other hint is to make sure that you have enough Norse Kroner to pay for the first two or three nights in Norway before you set out. There is no guarantee that you will be able to use Swedish Kroner after the border, and there is no guarantee that banks in smaller towns before the border will have Norse Kroner available. To compound this, the shops in the first town I passed through wouldn't provide cash out on a non-Norwegian credit card, and didn't have other EFTPOS facilities. If I didn't do it earlier, I would do it at the airport before I left Stockholm, but you might be able to get some in Sundsvall if you are there on a working day.

Shortly after I started, Europe was going through a heatwave, and coming across the border afternoon temperatures in the shade were over 30°C. I hadn't expected that!

Borsjö was the only place that advertises itself as being in bear hunting territory, although I don't know that means it is the only place along the route where they might be. I was told to sing while I was walking to deter them. I don't know how the person who suggested that was so perceptive about my singing ability! Nor was I sure that my legs wouldn't chime like a Morris dancers were I to take this advice. You are more likely to be carried off my mosquitos, in my view.

I walked the S:t Olavsleden in 2018, starting in late Jun and arriving in Trondheim two days before Olsok, and staying for the Olavsfestdagene. I booked the night that I arrived in Sundsval, and the first two nights walking. My wife arrived in Trondheim a couple of days ahead of me and had booked accommodation there.

Most of the rest of the time I booked a day or two ahead, but there are few places you might want to get accommodation booked earlier than that. Skalstugans Stiftelse near the border is the holiday resort for a Swedish bank, and well worth staying, albeit expensive. Tännforsen is worth considering, as well as Kvarnvägen 26 just outside Pilgrimstad.

You do need to keep an eye on where you can shop for provisions. I always carried some form of emergency reserve in any case, but there are a couple of longer stretches where you might need to carry food for a couple of days, especially if you choose to stay in mere remote huts for a couple of nights.

My other hint is to make sure that you have enough Norse Kroner to pay for the first two or three nights in Norway before you set out. There is no guarantee that you will be able to use Swedish Kroner after the border, and there is no guarantee that banks in smaller towns before the border will have Norse Kroner available. To compound this, the shops in the first town I passed through wouldn't provide cash out on a non-Norwegian credit card, and didn't have other EFTPOS facilities. If I didn't do it earlier, I would do it at the airport before I left Stockholm, but you might be able to get some in Sundsvall if you are there on a working day.

Shortly after I started, Europe was going through a heatwave, and coming across the border afternoon temperatures in the shade were over 30°C. I hadn't expected that!

Borsjö was the only place that advertises itself as being in bear hunting territory, although I don't know that means it is the only place along the route where they might be. I was told to sing while I was walking to deter them. I don't know how the person who suggested that was so perceptive about my singing ability! Nor was I sure that my legs wouldn't chime like a Morris dancers were I to take this advice. You are more likely to be carried off my mosquitos, in my view.
Thank you so much! Very valuable advice Doug.
I walked the Vezelay Route this year...not my favourite, too much road walking and very flat, some sad villages and towns, but fab pilgrim accommodation.
Dogs were troublesome at times.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked both the S:t Olavsleden (with my wife, 2018) and Gudbrandsleden (solo, 2019) and my perception of the S:t Olavsleden is not very rose coloured because of some issues that forced me and my wife to abort the trek just after the Norse-Swedish border. Those issues obviously shouldn't be a concern to you, apart from maybe the road walking. Especially my wife, who is not a fan of asphalt (euphemism!), was not impressed.

I remember discussing this issue with @dougfitz via PM, and he agreed that the S:t Olavsleden had a pretty substantial amount of road walking when compared to the Gudbrandsleden. Maybe this is something that you want to consider. Disregarding all this, Doug's response is pretty comprehensive as far as the S:t Olavsleden is concerned.

EDIT: Don't worry too much about the bears. But do get some Mygga spray and Djungelolja for the mosquitoes.

Last edited:
I walked both the S:t Olavsleden (with my wife, 2018) and Gudbrandsleden (solo, 2019) and my perception of the S:t Olavsleden is not very rose coloured because of some issues that forced me and my wife to abort the trek just after the Norse-Swedish border. Those issues obviously shouldn't be a concern to you, apart from maybe the road walking. Especially my wife, who is not a fan of asphalt (euphemism!), was not impressed.

I remember discussing this issue with @dougfitz via PM, and he agreed that the S:t Olavsleden had a pretty substantial amount of road walking when compared to the Gudbrandsleden. Maybe this is something that you want to consider. Disregarding all this, Doug's response is pretty comprehensive as far as the S:t Olavsleden is concerned.

EDIT: Don't worry too much about the bears. But do get some Mygga spray and Djungelolja for the mosquitoes.
Ok. I struggled with the amount of roadwalking on the Vezelay Route this year...how feasible is the Gulbransleden for a mature 69 year old, average fitness person???

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think @PilgrimCenterTrondheim can be of big help here. This is the "pilgrims office in Santiago" for pilgrims walking up to Trondheim. They meet pilgrims who get their certificate and should have up-to-date info on things... not so much in winter I guess, since the mountains are closed (snow).
Thank you very much Ivar.

how feasible is the Gulbransleden for a mature 69 year old, average fitness person???

Very feasible. Having said that, you'll probably want to adjust your personal 'normal' daily distance downward. Walking in Norway is tougher than say the Vezelay route. Hilly. But eminently doable and quite gorgeous. Maybe check my post history for both the S:t Olavsleden and Gudbrandsdalsleden threads, for a more in-depth comparison.

Usually organise my own accommodations. Can I wing it with accommodations or should I use Nordic Pilgrim service?
Hi,
Many pilgrims tell me that this is a wonderfull hike, and they are very proud of their achievement when arriving here in Trondheim. I would not worry about the bears. Yes, Sweden have bears in this area, but they are rearly seen by people and very shy.

I reccommend you to visit our home page to learn about the climate and packing list. You must be prepeard for hot sunny days, and colder rainy days. In the mountains of Norway, it can even snow in July :D. But that is not likely along the St, Olavsleden.
See: Preperations and packing list
Read more about the: St. Olavsleden

You can easily find accommodation on our digital maps. I reccommend you to use stolavsleden.com in Sweden, and pilegrimsleden.no in Norway for the most "up to date" info. I reccommend you to book accommodation some days in advance when traveling in July. This is the busiest time of the year, and many of the accommodations get full during these days.
Digital map Sweden
Digital map Norway
I can also highly reccommend the service of Nordic Pilgrim.

I hope this was helpfull, and we are looking foreward to seeing you here in Trondheim at the Pilgrim Reception at Nidaros Pilegrimsgård :D

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi,
Many pilgrims tell me that this is a wonderfull hike, and they are very proud of their achievement when arriving here in Trondheim. I would not worry about the bears. Yes, Sweden have bears in this area, but they are rearly seen by people and very shy.

I reccommend you to visit our home page to learn about the climate and packing list. You must be prepeard for hot sunny days, and colder rainy days. In the mountains of Norway, it can even snow in July :D. But that is not likely along the St, Olavsleden.

You can easily find accommodation on our digital maps. I reccommend you to use stolavsleden.com in Sweden, and pilegrimsleden.no in Norway for the most "up to date" info. I reccommend you to book accommodation some days in advance when traveling in July. This is the busiest time of the year, and many of the accommodations get full during these days.
Digital map Sweden
Digital map Norway

I hope this was helpfull, and we are looking foreward to seeing you here in Trondheim at the Pilgrim Reception at Nidaros Pilegrimsgård :D
Thank you! Very helpful.

Hi,

Digital map Sweden
Digital map Norway

Thank you for all that info. Much appreciated.

@gittiharre , I haven't walked the route myself (enjoy!) however one quick comment about money in Norway - whilst you can still pay with cash, since Corona it appears that it is extremely rare to do so. Last year I was in Norway for a month, I took 200 NOK with me and had 170 still left at the end of the month. I needn't have even spent the 30 NOK that I did - they would have taken my card, it was just that my son had it and he was down the road at the time!
I almost exclusively used my debit card, the only exception was when I rented a car - for that they required a credit card.

I use a Wise card, because I can load whatever currency on it that I require, limit the funds on it for additional security, transfer additional funds almost instantly using the app, lock or unlock the card at will, use it to withdraw cash at an ATM, but also in place of a credit card online.

I am not for a moment suggesting you go with no cash but do limit it to perhaps 200.

Incidentally I was well and truly in the middle of nowhere on many occasions and the card was always accepted even just for an ice cream. It's now become the norm rather than the exception.
My son was there again at Easter this year for a week, he took the 170 with him and used exactly .... zero.... . He ended up giving it to his cousin to put into her bank account!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi!
I am from Norway. Don´t worry about bears :-D

Expect both rain and sun. Here you can read about this Camino: https://pilegrimsleden.no/en/trails/st-olavsleden

@gittiharre , I haven't walked the route myself (enjoy!) however one quick comment about money in Norway - whilst you can still pay with cash, since Corona it appears that it is extremely rare to do so. Last year I was in Norway for a month, I took 200 NOK with me and had 170 still left at the end of the month. I needn't have even spent the 30 NOK that I did - they would have taken my card, it was just that my son had it and he was down the road at the time!
I almost exclusively used my debit card, the only exception was when I rented a car - for that they required a credit card.

I use a Wise card, because I can load whatever currency on it that I require, limit the funds on it for additional security, transfer additional funds almost instantly using the app, lock or unlock the card at will, use it to withdraw cash at an ATM, but also in place of a credit card online.

I am not for a moment suggesting you go with no cash but do limit it to perhaps 200.

Incidentally I was well and truly in the middle of nowhere on many occasions and the card was always accepted even just for an ice cream. It's now become the norm rather than the exception.
My son was there again at Easter this year for a week, he took the 170 with him and used exactly .... zero.... . He ended up giving it to his cousin to put into her bank account!
Regarding cash here in Norway; I don´t think I have had coins or notes on my wallet this year.

Card is king!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Thank you so much for this! Very helpful.
I have a Wisecard.

I myself live in bear country in Sweden, much further North than St Olavsleden. Generally speaking the brown bears of Scandinavia are extremely shy. They will know you are there long before you have a chance to see them. And then they hide, observe, but you hardly ever see them. We have bear tracks close to the house regularly, but you only see one once every 5- 10 years maybe. Incidents between humans and bears are extremely rare and do not involve hikers/walkers. It is usually hunters and people working outside with machinery to cut vegetation.
So there is no reason to worry at all :cool:

Thank you so very much for your reassurance. It is new territory for me. I saw bear prints ion the San Salvador, but didn't worry, as there were 3 of us.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That only helps if at least one of the other two runs slower than you, you know 😉
That's pretty much what a friend of mine said to me in Canada. We were out hiking and saw fresh bear tracks, and I asked him " just as a matter of interest what do you do if you come across a bear?" . His reply was "well, it kind of depends on the circumstance. If we saw one right now for instance I'd run like hell for home". Naturally enough I replied along the lines of "well that's not going to do much good, a bear can run as fast as a horse".
His reply? "yeah I know, but I also know that I can run a hell of a lot faster than you."

Hi,

Digital map Sweden
Digital map Norway

Thank you very much for the enormously helpful information.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.