• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St Peter’s Way; Essex (UK)

henrythedog

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Annually - often more - from 2014
It looks like I’ll shortly be at a loose end in Essex for a few days (not something I would do by design, but Mrs Henrythedog’s needs must) and I’ve chanced upon St Peter’s Way; 45m/70Km of relatively flat walking west-to-east across Essex between two ancient churches.

More in hope than expectation, I thought to ask if anyone’s done it?

The prospect of paying south-eastern prices for lodging and drinking exorbitant flat beer isn’t the most appealing; but I’m sure I’ll make the most of it.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Henry the dog
We have walked St Peters way a couple of times now
Its a lovely walk and well marked
We used the OS maps
Sometimes we used buses but the last time we used the car as a “there and back to the car” section
The nicest walks were in the summer walking through the wheat fields when the ground was firm
Essex clay however is notorious when wet for sticking to one’s boots …..try walking with lead weights on your feet is the only way I can describe it
Some lovely quaint villages visited and the Church in Bradwell on sea is not to be missed
I did write a lot of posts on the forum about our days out but can’t find them!
Let us know how you get on F0637D5F-3421-4E58-96E0-B1BA4D045B3B.png

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks Annette, that would be excellent - perhaps you could post a link?
I’m not very internet/link savvy so I’ll just put the posts on in photo form and hope you can read them
As you most probably know, there is a myriad of information on the internet and the British Pilgrimage Trust has a lovely informative Pamphlet / map on its site
Have a lovely walk
2CA4399F-7169-47AB-88F8-E537C35747EB.png96263614-2401-4CE3-A8FE-D2F9D9901A54.png5F975F71-5088-4E2F-923C-1AE216AE8978.pngB56B9E9A-3DDD-4263-8917-75D2CA551D4E.pngE13356C7-E1FE-494A-8A59-AE6C27859A2A.pngD457AF0A-4E5E-474D-853D-E520E296CE9E.pngBCE58833-7927-4A3F-9614-919C53F91A97.png4C4DC470-CBF9-4EB9-9365-225E1E3BDD09.png3ED003C7-8C9A-4FB2-8DF4-53B08632F6C9.png

I’m not very internet/link savvy so I’ll just put the posts on in photo form and hope you can read them
As you most probably know, there is a myriad of information on the internet and the British Pilgrimage Trust has a lovely informative Pamphlet / map on its site
Have a lovely walk
View attachment 135963View attachment 135964View attachment 135965View attachment 135966View attachment 135967View attachment 135968View attachment 135969View attachment 135970View attachment 135971

Thank you for this post! With two daughters plus several adolescent grandchildren living in the UK this goes on my list of tempting walks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Have a lovely walk
View attachment 135963View attachment 135964View attachment 135965View attachment 135966View attachment 135967View attachment 135968View attachment 135969View attachment 135970View attachment 135971
Dishy Rishi now has a new hat.

Essex has hidden depths. There are, or have been, a surprising number of radical/utopian communities in the county. You might like to check out Gillian Darley's book Excellent Essex. The Othona community (https://www.othonaessex.org.uk/) is just down the road from St Peter's and has accommodation.
Thank you
Sounds like a really good book
We are lucky to have the delights of London on one side of us and Essex county on the other side
we’ve walked in Essex for many years but really only discovered what a great walking region it is a few years ago
It took lockdown and the pandemic to realise all the beauty on our doorstep so armed with a few OS maps and The walking in Essex cicerone book we just took off!

The Essex paths are well marked and maintained
Even discovered many walks leading from the front door!

The Essex Way long distance path from Epping to Harwich is another good walk as is The Three Forests walk
Apart from Essex though, the UK is in fact a walkers paradise

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you Annette, I really enjoyed reading your account, and the pics. Yes, we are lucky in our footpath network, if not our accommodation prices! You seem to have done well for buses, in my part of the county (Saffron Walden) buses have become a lot rarer.
I'd love to do a British pilgrimage and spend a ridiculous amount of time looking at the "Britains Pilgrim Places" but the logistics deter me.
Henry the Dog - I hope you have a good walk and look forward to hearing about it.

It looks like I’ll shortly be at a loose end in Essex for a few days (not something I would do by design, but Mrs Henrythedog’s needs must) and I’ve chanced upon St Peter’s Way; 45m/70Km of relatively flat walking west-to-east across Essex between two ancient churches.

More in hope than expectation, I thought to ask if anyone’s done it?

The prospect of paying south-eastern prices for lodging and drinking exorbitant flat beer isn’t the most appealing; but I’m sure I’ll make the most of it.
A friend and I did parts of St Peters way last year, and we got lost quite a few times as foot paths and signs weren't always clear!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you
Sounds like a really good book
We are lucky to have the delights of London on one side of us and Essex county on the other side
we’ve walked in Essex for many years but really only discovered what a great walking region it is a few years ago
It took lockdown and the pandemic to realise all the beauty on our doorstep so armed with a few OS maps and The walking in Essex cicerone book we just took off!

The Essex paths are well marked and maintained
Even discovered many walks leading from the front door!

The Essex Way long distance path from Epping to Harwich is another good walk as is The Three Forests walk
Apart from Essex though, the UK is in fact a walkers paradise
Following up on the UK being a walker's paradise, I suggest membership of the LDWA, which offers not just group walks to join but also a Long Distance Paths database, with GPX files to download. All for a very modest membership fee, too

Following up on the UK being a walker's paradise, I suggest membership of the LDWA, which offers not just group walks to join but also a Long Distance Paths database, with GPX files to download. All for a very modest membership fee, too
Hi Abbey48
Thank you
yes I’ve heard of the LDWA but we’ve yet to become acquainted with GPS
We keep meaning to master it but the smart phone is smarter than us so we just keep to the OS maps and compass which has held us in good stead so far….not that we don’t make a habit of getting lost now and then!
Group walking isn’t really for us …yet anyway …. but God forbid if “himself” happened to fell down a ravine some day then maybe I’ll have to join the groups!

Hi Abbey48
Thank you
yes I’ve heard of the LDWA but we’ve yet to become acquainted with GPS
We keep meaning to master it but the smart phone is smarter than us so we just keep to the OS maps and compass which has held us in good stead so far….not that we don’t make a habit of getting lost now and then!
Group walking isn’t really for us …yet anyway …. but God forbid if “himself” happened to fell down a ravine some day then maybe I’ll have to join the groups!
Hi Annette london, thanks for your honesty about using GPS. I navigated the LePuy route without a map and compass, only using a GPS app. I strongly advise trying a simple app called Organic Maps. And if you're ever tempted, let me know and I'll explain how to use it.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
So, St Peter’s Way.

I found myself in Essex for a few days under orders from Mrs Henrythedog to make myself scarce whilst she paid some social calls.

Thanks to all the above for advice. I’ll offer a few thoughts of my own.

The way marking on this 70km route is a bit hit and miss; plentiful when not really needed but absent when it would have been appreciated. I just used the OS maps and a vague sense of where East is, and all was well. The ‘leaflet’ route and that on the OS maps do differ, quite frequently. I took three-and-a-bit days and covered just over 85km after necessary diversions.

The many sections of the route which cross open farmland are, in a wet November, very difficult. Essex clay is not your friend. I bypassed some sections via rural roads, which was dangerous. The traffic hereabouts seems far too fast for the road network and there are few roadside paths or pavements.

The route passes some interesting churches and some lovely scenery. In the right conditions it would be pleasant. The tiny 14th century church of St Mary at Mundon was a highlight; as was being unexpectedly identified as a ‘pilgrim’ when I started in Chipping Ongar.

Walking the route as a continuous journey was a challenge as accommodation’s not plentiful, and I had to add a considerable ‘off route’ walk into Chelmsford on the first night and South Woodham Ferrers on the second. The final night at the Star in Steeple was thankfully on-route.

As my first multi-day walk since both knees gave out in Spain earlier this year, it was hard work - but considering the weather and ground conditions, it could have been worse. Full high-spec waterproofs, decent boots and a rucksack rain cover were essential.

To my surprise the beer was drinkable (although best to pay with a contactless card so you don’t know what it costs) and the locals universally friendly; but it was hard to explain why I had left a perfectly serviceable car behind and chosen to walk.

I would never have considered walking in this part of the world were it not by chance. All in all; time well spent.

So, St Peter’s Way.

I found myself in Essex for a few days under orders from Mrs Henrythedog to make myself scarce whilst she paid some social calls.

Thanks to all the above for advice. I’ll offer a few thoughts of my own.

The way marking on this 70km route is a bit hit and miss; plentiful when not really needed but absent when it would have been appreciated. I just used the OS maps and a vague sense of where East is, and all was well. The ‘leaflet’ route and that on the OS maps do differ, quite frequently. I took three-and-a-bit days and covered just over 85km after necessary diversions.

The many sections of the route which cross open farmland are, in a wet November, very difficult. Essex clay is not your friend. I bypassed some sections via rural roads, which was dangerous. The traffic hereabouts seems far too fast for the road network and there are few roadside paths or pavements.

The route passes some interesting churches and some lovely scenery. In the right conditions it would be pleasant. The tiny 14th century church of St Mary at Mundon was a highlight; as was being unexpectedly identified as a ‘pilgrim’ when I started in Chipping Ongar.

Walking the route as a continuous journey was a challenge as accommodation’s not plentiful, and I had to add a considerable ‘off route’ walk into Chelmsford on the first night and South Woodham Ferrers on the second. The final night at the Star in Steeple was thankfully on-route.

As my first multi-day walk since both knees gave out in Spain earlier this year, it was hard work - but considering the weather and ground conditions, it could have been worse. Full high-spec waterproofs, decent boots and a rucksack rain cover were essential.

To my surprise the beer was drinkable (although best to pay with a contactless card so you don’t know what it costs) and the locals universally friendly; but it was hard to explain why I had left a perfectly serviceable car behind and chosen to walk.

I would never have considered walking in this part of the world were it not by chance. All in all; time well spent.
So glad you enjoyed the walk…we’ll sort of anyway. Even with that Essex clay

Another reason we walked it in last years hot, dry weather
Now how about The Essex Way, that’s a nice walk too and better marked

Most read last week in this forum

Has anyone got information on the hospice (not the auberge) a Great Saint Bernard Pass? I've read their website, and I'd appreciate insights as to how comfortable it is, quality of the food, etc...
Can't get into the official Via Francigena site. I've used it for years, but today all I get when I try to enter it is 'File not found". For example, if I enter...
Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.