• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Start Aug. 15 or Sept. 1?

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances
Portuguese
Norte
We are planning to walk Camino del Norte this year, 2022, from Irun. We are trying to decide whether to start Aug. 15 or the beginning of Sept. Any thoughts, considerations, or suggestions to help us decide? Many thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Without a doubt the later you start the better. Less vacationers and with this summer's heat the later you start the better. If you can go even September 15th that would be great. I walked starting in mid October. Never had bad heat and problems with albergues. Things got colder as I turned southwest but never really bad. But who knows about weather. If my memory serves me correctly the early weeks have a great deal of open area to walk without shade, especially if you check out all the great variants you can walk to keep you on the coast.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Many thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks for asking this question, as I've been getting a bit more concerned about the heat. The other responses reinforce my need to be especially prepared for that first week. I arranged to start on Aug 30; it felt like the earliest possible date given heat, tourists and pilgrims.

Buen camino - and perhaps we'll run into each other!

Wonderful! So many considerations. Thank you for your response.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I did the Norte in September and it was great. August is too busy when Europeans take their vacations. Buen Camino. I loved the Norte.

Most read last week in this forum