• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting from SJPdP on April 30

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Stephen, I will be in SJPP on April 30 and walking on May 1! Perhaps our paths will cross! Suzanne
Hello Suzanne, I have given myself till June 11 or 12th to finish so I am going to try and not turn this into a race for me. I hope to take my time and really enjoy the adventure. I look forward to the prospect of crossing paths. Have a great adventure !

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I arrive in SJPdP on the evening of April 28th. I will spend the 29th getting information and shopping for last minute supplies and will start the morning of the 30th. Stephen

Buen Camino Stephen!

Thanks, Stephen. I am in a similar position. My flight home isn't until June 20! Slow and steady makes for a wonderful experience.
Buen Camino!

Buen Camino Suzanne! (I'm originally from Carmichael now living in Salt Lake City)

Mike

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi guys,
We are also looking at starting the camino on 1st may 2015! We are struggling to get to st jeans via public transport from Bayonne... Either of you travelling from Bayonne to st jeans

Thanks, Stephen. I am in a similar position. My flight home isn't until June 20! Slow and steady makes for a wonderful experience.
Buen Camino!
I fly out of Malaga on the 27th. I have rented a house in Gaucin from the 13th till the 27th. I stayed there about seven years ago and thought it would be a great place to reflect after the jouney. Bien Camino !

Last edited:
Hi guys,
We are also looking at starting the camino on 1st may 2015! We are struggling to get to st jeans via public transport from Bayonne... Either of you travelling from Bayonne to st jeans
Hello Zozo22, there is a train from Bayonne/Biarritz to SJPdP and also several transport companies that will pick you up at plane/train stations and take you in what sounds like vans holding groups of eight. Look on the forum and there are several postings now on the different methods. Bien Camino. Hope we cross paths. Stephen

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi guys,
Hi Zozo - there's a very easy to navigate and efficient online site where I buy my tickets from Bordeaux - Bayonne - then onto St Jean - http://uk.voyages-sncf.com/choose-your-outbound-journey - it's a bus trip from Bayonne, 1h15min; or personal collection with Express Bourricot http://www.expressbourricot.com/en/persons-transport/ - happy planning

I will end up flying from Paris to Biarritz, spending the night, and taking Express Bourricot the next day.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I will end up flying from Paris to Biarritz, spending the night, and taking Express Bourricot the next day.
I am flying into CDG but arrive at 6am so I am taking a train to Biarritz/Bayonne. The trip takes about 5 1/2 he's so I thought I would see some of the country side. Haven't decided whether I will use a transport or train to SJPdP. The transport would be easier because they will pick me up at station. I had made reservations in SJPdP before figuring this stage out so already had a room the 28th and 29th. Leave it to a man to put the cart before the horse.;). Stephen

I arrive in SJPdP on the evening of April 28th. I will spend the 29th getting information and shopping for last minute supplies and will start the morning of the 30th. Stephen
I am leaving Roncesvalles on the 1st of May. Hope to meet you on the Camino.

Buen Camino
Buz Radican, an old man out for a long walk

I am flying into CDG but arrive at 6am so I am taking a train to Biarritz/Bayonne. The trip takes about 5 1/2 he's so I thought I would see some of the country side. Haven't decided whether I will use a transport or train to SJPdP. The transport would be easier because they will pick me up at station. I had made reservations in SJPdP before figuring this stage out so already had a room the 28th and 29th. Leave it to a man to put the cart before the horse.;). Stephen
I was hoping I could do something similar, but my plane doesn't land until 1 pm. No time to get that train! I am certain things will work out for you!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was hoping I could do something similar, but my plane doesn't land until 1 pm. No time to get that train! I am certain things will work out for you!
It will, there is a train about 10:30 leaving CDG that I can catch so I can get into SJPdP by that evening. Have a safe journey. Stephen

I am leaving Roncesvalles on the 1st of May. Hope to meet you on the Camino.

Buen Camino
Buz Radican, an old man out for a long walk
I hope to go all the way to Roncesvalles on the 30th so maybe we can start the day together on the 1st. Buen Camino. Stephen

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am arriving SJPdP on April 29 and heading out on the 30th.
Hello Ahhhs, where are you going the first day and what route are you planning to take, weather permitting ? Stephen

I hope to go all the way to Roncesvalles on the 30th so maybe we can start the day together on the 1st. Buen Camino. Stephen
That would be nice. Look forward to it.

Buen Camino

Not sure where I'm staying in SJPdP on the 29th but will be staying at Orisson on the 30th.

Laurel

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not sure where I'm staying in SJPdP on the 29th but will be staying at Orrison on the 30th.

Laurel
I want to go the Napoleon way to Roncesvalles on the 30th and meet Buz when he starts on the 1st. If you are not one of those fast young women that I can't keep up with it would be great to walk with you to Orrison and see you safely there. I will then proceed to Roncesvalles for the night. I will be staying at the Chambers d'Hotes Maison E.Bernat in SJPdP the 28th and 29th.
Stephen

Nope. Not young. Or old. Somewhere in the middle. :)
Normally a fast-ish walker but not so fast on steep inclines.
Booked Orrison cuz it seemed like it would be fun.
Don't have a lot of extra time but really want to smell all the roses along the way.

Hope to meet you all on the Camino.
Laurel

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Stephen, I am flying into Pamplona the afternoon of the 30th of April, staying in a pension about half way to Roncesvalles. It appears to be a short drive to Roncesvalles and then on to SJPP for those who want to start their Camino there. We will have to pick meeting place to link up. I should be easy to identify. Old guy wearing a green Appalachian Mountain club ball cap, green shirt, green hiking trousers, two trekking poles, and a rather large blue Osprey back. IPhone earbuds sticking out my ears,and a shell and patch on my pack.

If that doesn't work, look for the most confused pilgrim on the street.

Nope. Not young. Or old. Somewhere in the middle. :)
Normally a fast-ish walker but not so fast on steep inclines.
Booked Orrison cuz it seemed like it would be fun.
Don't have a lot of extra time but really want to smell all the roses along the way.

Hope to meet you all on the Camino.
Laurel

Old guy. Not speedy but consistent. Sooner or later you will pass me, be sure to say buen Camino when you do.

Stephen, I am flying into Pamplona the afternoon of the 30th of April, staying in a pension about half way to Roncesvalles. It appears to be a short drive to Roncesvalles and then on to SJPP for those who want to start their Camino there. We will have to pick meeting place to link up. I should be easy to identify. Old guy wearing a green Appalachian Mountain club ball cap, green shirt, green hiking trousers, two trekking poles, and a rather large blue Osprey back. IPhone earbuds sticking out my ears,and a shell and patch on my pack.

If that doesn't work, look for the most confused pilgrim on the street.
Buz, I hadn't made reservations the night of the 30th , understand the alburge is large and wouldn't be a problem to get a bed. We can get an approximate time of arrival for you and set up an area to meet. Think there will be several of us mature gentlemen walking. I will have a red University of Richmond ball cap on. There shouldn't be many of those around. No rush and don't have anything planned beyond getting to Roncesvalles the 30th. Look forward to meeting up.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
:)
Buz, I hadn't made reservations the night of the 30th , understand the alburge is large and wouldn't be a problem to get a bed. We can get an approximate time of arrival for you and set up an area to meet. Think there will be several of us mature gentlemen walking. I will have a red University of Richmond ball cap on. There shouldn't be many of those around. No rush and don't have anything planned beyond getting to Roncesvalles the 30th. Look forward to meeting up.
Since there are so many of us arriving/beginning about the same time (I arrive in CDG the 29th, down to Bayonne by train, small train to St. Jean on the 30th, begin May 1st) we should develop a secret handshake or something.:) Interesting Stephen that you're heading to Malaga for down time at the end. That's the same place I'll be heading with a sister and brother when we're done. I guess great minds think alike.

;)Hi guys,
I too plan to begin my walk on about the 29th or 30 April I leave Bordeaux on the morning of the 28th I have not booked any transport yet maybe I should what does everyone think. I plan to stay at Orrison on the first night then onwards and upwards from there I have never done anything completely by myself before so feeling a little nervous please give my a smile if you see an older blond woman with an Aussie accent looking lost

;)Hi guys,
I too plan to begin my walk on about the 29th or 30 April I leave Bordeaux on the morning of the 28th I have not booked any transport yet maybe I should what does everyone think. I plan to stay at Orrison on the first night then onwards and upwards from there I have never done anything completely by myself before so feeling a little nervous please give my a smile if you see an older blond woman with an Aussie accent looking lost
Hey Jenny, there are several of us leaving from SJPdP on the 30th. Come join, there are so many nice people on the forum, think of how many you will meet on the Camino. Stephen

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hey Jenny, there are several of us leaving from SJPdP on the 30th. Come join, there are so many nice people on the forum, think of how many you will meet on the Camino. Stephen
thanks Stephen I am sure will meet if we begin on the same day it would be nice to join you and yes there sure seem to be lots of nice people on the forum it has been so helpful to me so far now I am getting to the pointy end I am just getting some butterflies

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Stephen, we have said our hellos before, but I am also leaving SJPP on the 29th of April with the plan to take it easy the first few days. I am sure we will all cross paths soon after that.

It's nice to see a small group already forming. Buen Camino everyone!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Stephen, we have said our hellos before, but I am also leaving SJPP on the 29th of April with the plan to take it easy the first few days. I am sure we will all cross paths soon after that.

It's nice to see a small group already forming. Buen Camino everyone!
Hello nomadpeah, it does seem like there is a good community forming to travel about the same time. It is exciting ! My six year old granddaughter is not sure how I will make it being so old and having to be told what to do all the time. :). She is working with me so I will be prepared. Lol.
Stephen

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello nomadpeah, it does seem like there is a good community forming to travel about the same time. It is exciting ! My six year old granddaughter is not sure how I will make it being so old and having to be told what to do all the time. :). She is working with me so I will be prepared. Lol.
Stephen
Being so old??? I am the old man of this rapidly forming informal "red nail" group, having passed 70 in October. :rolleyes:

Whew! I thought I was the only one worried about the nail polish idea. (Red just ISN'T my color. ) Thanks for getting that cleared up Stephen. As for making the days go faster....I go back and forth between excited and nervous. It always seems like there are so many loose ends to tie up and I feel like I'm missing something. I try to remind myself it was the same way last time, but my mind just won't listen.

Although I will be starting a day later than most of you, I still feel like I'm part of this group. I may or may not "catch up" and I may or may not have red nail polish, but I will be with all of you in spirit...unless I feel like walking solo for a while! :rolleyes:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello All. I am starting from SJPdP on 1st May with stop over in Orisson as I am in no hurry and will probably be breathless by then! Look forward to meeting up along the way but as I am so slow I may not catch up you until Santiago! Buen Camino to all

Wow. Lots of forum people within a couple of days of each other. Stephen, Suzanne, Mike, Carla, Zozo, Buz, NomadPeah, David, Jenny, Jostony, and me-Laurel. So far anyway. Did I miss anyone? And we still have a couple months to go!

Hello All. I am starting from SJPdP on 1st May with stop over in Orisson as I am in no hurry and will probably be breathless by then! Look forward to meeting up along the way but as I am so slow I may not catch up you until Santiago! Buen Camino to all
I am starting on May 1 also...so perhaps I will see you. I am not planning on stopping in Orisson...I may be sorry and wish I had, but...I have no worries. Yet.

Hi all! I will be starting from Saint Jean on the 29th april! I plan to walk to Orrisson the first day (when the weather allowes me to walk the route Napoleon)! It's great to see I won't be the only one :)! Looking forward to meeting you on the way!

Marleen (from The Netherlands)
Hi Maria1975/Marleen - I have the same plans. Hopefully we can say hello and Buen Camino.

Wow. Lots of forum people within a couple of days of each other. Stephen, Suzanne, Mike, Carla, Zozo, Buz, NomadPeah, David, Jenny, Jostony, and me-Laurel. So far anyway. Did I miss anyone? And we still have a couple months to go!

Sounds like a nice afternoon vino/cafe con leche group. I am sure the red polish can serve as your welcome sign.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am starting on May 1 also...so perhaps I will see you. I am not planning on stopping in Orisson...I may be sorry and wish I had, but...I have no worries. Yet.
I will be the breathless one without nail polish!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As will I. At my age, any day I get up is a good day, especially on a great hike. No need to push my good luck and good fortune too much!! I will pass on the red nail polish. It clashes with my green motif!

€46,-
A quick question...trying not to hijack the thread or take it too far off in another direction...but...
I was wondering what fellow pilgrims (who are going the same way at the same time) are carrying to
sleep in during May. Sleeping bag? Fleece liner? Silk liner? Quilt? Nothing?
Thanks for any comments and the short detour.

Ahhhs, I'm still debating that question myself. Last Camino was Sept./Oct and a fleece liner was fine for me. I have a feeling May will be a little colder, so at home I tried a sleeping sack from REI, rated for 50 degrees. Wasn't enough. I put in a Columbia Sportswear "omni heat" liner. Still was too cold. (And I'm one of those guys that is usually excessively warm). As much as I don't like mummy type bags, I think that's what I'm going to have to go with, as I'd rather put up with the confining feel of a mummy bag, rather than the wrapping and twisting that comes with wearing clothes to bed.

Hmmmm David - I have the same REI sleep sack and a silk liner. Now I question my choices. Not enough, eh? I am also a warm sleeper. May in Tx is really warm, perhaps I have under estimated the need for a sleeping bag.

What about others on the thread - what are you all bringing?

€46,-
Nomadpeah, I found out the rating system for the bags is based on the user wearing some clothes as well as a hat! That just ain't me. I will say this-some of the albergues can get warm, just because of the number of people in them. Have you tried your bag and liner at home? I don't know what Texas temps are at the moment, but that may give you a good idea.

Yeah I have... we have a faux winter and I live in a high rise made of steel and concrete, so we are well insulted. We have gone entire winters with out turning our heat on even when it iced. It was 30 degrees this am and I opened a window when I got home. :)

I was going to break the clothes packing rule anyway and bring light pajamas. I use them at home and sleeping in the next day's hiking pants sounds awful to me.

I will give it another go. I still have time to make a change. Let me/us know where you land?

Yeah I have... we have a faux winter and I live in a high rise made of steel and concrete, so we are well insulted. We have gone entire winters with out turning our heat on even when it iced. It was 30 degrees this am and I opened a window when I got home. :)

I was going to break the clothes packing rule anyway and bring light pajamas. I use them at home and sleeping in the next day's hiking pants sounds awful to me.

I will give it another go. I still have time to make a change. Let me/us know where you land?

Well, I have a sleep sack too and was hoping that would work. I am not as adverse to sleeping in some clothes if I have too. I am bringing a pair of fleece leggings and a base layer top that may work well to sleep in.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am debating between a fleece liner and a lightweight sleeping bag.
The liner is less warm but roomier. The bag is warmer but tapered and more claustrophobic. Probably wiser to go with the bag.

Checked the average temps for Pamplona (since it's fairly early on) May 1st is lows of mid-40's, highs of mid-60's. By the end of the month it's up to mid-50's for the low and mid-70's for the high. Of course with some slight variations throughout. Guess I'll just try to find the roomiest, lightest weight, warm-but not TOO warm!-sleeping bag. Shouldn't be a problem, right?

Ha ha right. I am going to laugh if it's called an REI 50 degree sleep sack.

Kidding. Sort of.

But really, that approach is how I ended up with the REI bag. Good luck!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have a light sleeping bag and silk liner now I am a little worried that I will be cold but I can always wear my tracky dacks (Aussie slang for tracksuit pants) It is the not knowing part that both excites and terrifies me!! only 71 sleeps to go -not that I am counting

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
has anyone made a booking for the 29th in SJPdP yet?
Hey Jenny. Dont quote me on this, but I booked 3 nights from the 4th of may, and Im sure I read somewhere that it was a long weekend the weekend before I turn up. The 29th is a Wednesday, so you should be right for a room. But I heard the town was fairly booked out for the long weekend. I could be wrong though. 74 sleeps for me.

Jenny, I have booked at the Chambres d'Hotes Maison E.Bernat in town. Look at Bookings.com, I still get adds for openings in hotels and B & B's in SJPdP. I think there is still plenty open at that time. I booked in a hotel several months ago to be sure I had a place when I arrived, I have become less concerned since then and will try "go with the flow" from now on. Good luck in your search. Stephen

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have a light sleeping bag and silk liner now I am a little worried that I will be cold but I can always wear my tracky dacks (Aussie slang for tracksuit pants) It is the not knowing part that both excites and terrifies me!! only 71 sleeps to go -not that I am counting
I got a down mummy bag rated at 28f/-2C. I think in the beginning I will be tired enough to sleep regardless of comfort level for minor things and will use my base layer clothing as PJ's. It is my understanding we are to wear some type of appropriate covering even if we think we are "hot" or not and generally "old" men are in the "not" category.:). I will bring some gym shorts and light t-shirt if weather too warm. I think I can acquire anything else I need on the way, I think.( that is a strange word used in conjunction with "men")
Stephen

Hello there! Stephen, my plans are pretty much the same as yours. I'll start from SJPdP on April 29th or 30th (most probably the 30th) This is my first camino. I've been dreaming about doing this for quite some time now... To me the camino takes on a very speacial meaning since I'll be traveling to the homeland of my father and grandparents (Galicia) who emigrated to Argentina several years ago. I can't wait to start and get to know amazing people along the way! Pamela.

Hello there! Stephen, my plans are pretty much the same as yours. I'll start from SJPdP on April 29th or 30th (most probably the 30th) This is my first camino. I've been dreaming about doing this for quite some time now... To me the camino takes on a very speacial meaning since I'll be traveling to the homeland of my father and grandparents (Galicia) who emigrated to Argentina several years ago. I can't wait to start and get to know amazing people along the way! Pamela.
Hello Pamela, it looks like we have a great group gathering at about the same time for this journey. It really is exciting to think about all the people we will meet and to learn about so many different places we all started from. I think we are all being called to this journey for many different reasons and the one we start with may not be what ends up being the most important in our lives. I hope our paths cross along the way if not at the start. Buen Camino.
Stephen

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Buen Camino Pamela. And Marleen and Hunsta.
Looking forward to crossing paths with all of you.

Laurel

Last edited:
A quick question...trying not to hijack the thread or take it too far off in another direction...but...
I was wondering what fellow pilgrims (who are going the same way at the same time) are carrying to
sleep in during May. Sleeping bag? Fleece liner? Silk liner? Quilt? Nothing?
Thanks for any comments and the short detour.
Montbell Down Higger 800 #5, 1 pound 4 oz, and a silk liner. Also taking a pillowcase.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ha ha right. I am going to laugh if it's called an REI 50 degree sleep sack.

Kidding. Sort of.

But really, that approach is how I ended up with the REI bag. Good luck!!
You are free to laugh at my situation all you want. And the REI guys will join you if I should end up back there again, repurchasing what I already returned. :)

Hi Jenny, I booked the 28th at Beilari (40, rue de la Citadelle64220 Saint-Jean Pied-de-Port - DONIBANE GARAZI www.beilari.info).
My first choice was full (Gite Ultreia www.ultreia64.fr) but there seemed to be space on the 29th.

I have seen great reviews about both places. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You are free to laugh at my situation all you want. And the REI guys will join you if I should end up back there again, repurchasing what I already returned. :)
Not at you - at me. I seem to be going in a circle with this issue. I meant it all in good fun.

Hotel Maison Garcoitz for me. Half a kilometer out of town

Not at you - at me. I seem to be going in a circle with this issue. I meant it all in good fun.
Absolutely no worries about offending my delicate ego. :) Life is waaaay to short to spend worrying about something like that. (It's very rare that you find comments on here meant to hurt feelings and I certainly didn't take yours as such) So, we'll see if I'm successful in my search. Watch, I'll probably now settle on just bringing the fleece bag I used last time.

€46,-
Hi Zozo - there's a very easy to navigate and efficient online site where I buy my tickets from Bordeaux - Bayonne - then onto St Jean - http://uk.voyages-sncf.com/choose-your-outbound-journey - it's a bus trip from Bayonne, 1h15min; or personal collection with Express Bourricot http://www.expressbourricot.com/en/persons-transport/ - happy planning

I am taking the mid-morning train from Paris on 28 April which means I arrive at Bayonne at 15:30. It looks like the bus/train schedule will put me in SJPP be a bit late so I have reserved the Express Bourricot if anyone else is interested in the ride share.

The pick up is scheduled for 16:00.

I am taking the mid-morning train from Paris on 28 April which means I arrive at Bayonne at 15:30. It looks like the bus/train schedule will put me in SJPP be a bit late so I have reserved the Express Bourricot if anyone else is interested in the ride share.

The pick up is scheduled for 16:00.
Is this the 10:28 train from CDG ? I plan to take that on the 28th. I fly in to CDG and arrive at 6:00 am. I will share the transport with you to SJPdP, how do I notify them to get me on the list ?
Stephen

Hello Stephen - I arrive into SJPdP on the afternoon of the April 29th and plan to begin my journey on April 30th. Hope to meet you along the way. Very excited to begin this adventure. Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Stephen - I arrive into SJPdP on the afternoon of the April 29th and plan to begin my journey on April 30th. Hope to meet you along the way. Very excited to begin this adventure. Buen Camino!
Hello Phillip, looks like there is a great group of people starting at the same time. Look forward to crossing paths with you.
Buen Camino. Stephen

Hi Jenny, I booked the 28th at Beilari (40, rue de la Citadelle64220 Saint-Jean Pied-de-Port - DONIBANE GARAZI www.beilari.info).
My first choice was full (Gite Ultreia www.ultreia64.fr) but there seemed to be space on the 29th.

I have seen great reviews about both places. Hope this helps!
Thanks Nomadpeah, I just made a booking for the 29th April at Gite Ultreia looks nice. How wonderful that we can get so much help and information from this forum hope we cross paths on the Camino ;)

Is this the 10:28 train from CDG ? I plan to take that on the 28th. I fly in to CDG and arrive at 6:00 am. I will share the transport with you to SJPdP, how do I notify them to get me on the list ?
Stephen
Yup! Same train Stephen. I just emailed express bouricott and they set it up. It will be nice to arrive in SJPP 2.5 hours earlier than train. You are going to be tired eh?

I will send you a message...
Leah

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I haven't reserved a place to stay in SJPDP for when I arrive on April 29.
I was planning to just find something when I get there.
Do you think that's a mistake?

I am starting my Camino on 30th May, seen all these posts I wish it were a month earlier! I quiet like red nail varnish ! I notice a lot of people staying in Orrisson the first night as opposed to walking onto Roncessvalles. I was going to walk from St JPdeP to Roncessvalles, have I bit off more than I can chew. Previously walked from Sarria to Santiago but this is my first time starting here, aware of the steep climb but am hopeful, hopeful too of going with the flow and getting accomodation as I go and not booking ahead, I hope this works out.
Buen Camino, ye sound like a wonderful bunch

I haven't reserved a place to stay in SJPDP for when I arrive on April 29.
I was planning to just find something when I get there.
Do you think that's a mistake?

No, I think lots of pilgrims do that. And the pilgrim office should be helpful in finding accommodation. For me, I am traveling from Geneva via Paris and it just made sense to have a place lined up because I am arriving a bit later in the day.

It will be less expensive at the municiple alburge anyway (I think.)

€60,-
I am starting my Camino on 30th May, seen all these posts I wish it were a month earlier! I quiet like red nail varnish ! I notice a lot of people staying in Orrisson the first night as opposed to walking onto Roncessvalles. I was going to walk from St JPdeP to Roncessvalles, have I bit off more than I can chew. Previously walked from Sarria to Santiago but this is my first time starting here, aware of the steep climb but am hopeful, hopeful too of going with the flow and getting accomodation as I go and not booking ahead, I hope this works out.
Buen Camino, ye sound like a wonderful bunch
Buen Camino Cailin, I made reservations in SJPdP a while back because I wasn't sure what to do and was playing it safe. I will be getting in late and it is probably the best plan for me. I haven't made any other arrangements for sleeping and will do what seems the right thing for that day.
Stephen

Hello Phillip, looks like there is a great group of people starting at the same time. Look forward to crossing paths with you.
Buen Camino. Stephen
Hello Stephen, Ahhs, Leah and other Peregrinos - Hope we can meet-up for a glass of wine on the 29th. I will arrive into CDG on the 6:00 a.m. flight on the April 29th. Take a flight from Orly to Baritz (Bayonne) and arrive at approx 12:30 p.m. I figure it will be 4:00 or 5:00 p.m. before I make to SJPdP. That should leave to time for a stop by the Pilgrim's office, get checked-in, a meal and some vino! I'm brand new to this site and will post a picture in the next couple of days. Chow for now!

Hello Stephen, Ahhs, Leah and other Peregrinos - Hope we can meet-up for a glass of wine on the 29th. I will arrive into CDG on the 6:00 a.m. flight on the April 29th. Take a flight from Orly to Baritz (Bayonne) and arrive at approx 12:30 p.m. I figure it will be 4:00 or 5:00 p.m. before I make to SJPdP. That should leave to time for a stop by the Pilgrim's office, get checked-in, a meal and some vino! I'm brand new to this site and will post a picture in the next couple of days. Chow for now!

Welcome Phillip!! This is an excellent bunch of people! (the forum members). I have learned an awful lots of course connected to great people walking about the same time. I hope you enjoy it/us.

I bet I will catch up to you at Roncevalles if you walking straight through the first day. I am leaving SJPP on the 29th but taking it really easy and stopping in Orrison. I am a lightweight with altitude and mountainous inclines :cool: so I am taking my time.

Buen Camino!
Leah

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Absolutely no worries about offending my delicate ego. :) Life is waaaay to short to spend worrying about something like that. (It's very rare that you find comments on here meant to hurt feelings and I certainly didn't take yours as such) So, we'll see if I'm successful in my search. Watch, I'll probably now settle on just bringing the fleece bag I used last time.

David, (et. all)
I was at REI this evening (sadly returning my pack, but that's another story) and I started looking through all of the sleeping bags again. I sorted through the hanging bags and I kept going back to one that was perfectly light and looked nice. No joke, it was the REI 50 sleep sack! (Different colors than mine). Just made me smile and think of you.
I am destined for this thing I think.

And good luck for you?

Last edited:
I was at REI this evening (sadly returning my pack, but that's another story) and I started looking through all of the sleeping bags again. I as sorted through the hanging bags and I kept going back to one that was perfectly light and looked nice. No joke, it was the REI 50 sleep sack! (Different colors than mine). Just made me smile and think of you.
I am destined for this thing I think.

And good luck for you?
Leah, many times our first choice is our best. For me, then I try to analyze it and I end up with mass confusion and doubt. Lol. I am trying to do the best planning I can then, if I understand correctly from previous pilgrims , I can modify what I need on the journey. What an adventure !
Stephen

Change of plans...I hope. If I can get a bed (I have started the process), I will stay in Orisson May 1st! I had a moment of craziness thinking I wanted to get to Roncesvalles. When I told my mother (who is 84) that I was going to go that far my first day, she said, "What? Is this a race?" Still doling out great advice!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I agree. For me it is not a race and Orison is where I will make my first stop.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back