• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting from SJPP in early August

Alison Penfold

Time of past OR future Camino
Aug/sept 2016
In advance thank you for your consideration of this thread and sharing your knowledge with a first timer.

I have little choice but to commence my Camino (starting in St John) around the 7th of August. I am in between jobs and have a defined period for travel to walk my first Camino. Reading up on likely conditions I have noted that August is a busy month on the Camino Frances. Whether this year is any different to previous years will only been seen. Grateful for any advice or tips from those of you who have walked at this time of year including this issue of large groups of Spanish college kids walking in August.

Before you respond I have noted that:-
  • It will be very hot (am Australian and used to hot dry/humid conditions
  • Accommodation could be at a premium and I may need to book ahead (private alburgues/hotels)
  • Best to steer clear of the Brierley program
I understand that the Camino can't be truly planned. It is an organic experience and one must go with the flow. This will be a great challenge for me but hopefully a humbling and rewarding experience (getting over being OCD).

Buen camino to those setting out soon and a bit of encouragement to those thinking about it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Can I suggest it would be a very good idea to phone ahead and book accommodation.

If you have an android tablet or phone this app will help a lot:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.moemke.android.mycamino

It is free to download and use - the writer asks for donations but that's it - I am not involved with the author but love it.

It allows you to download a map to your device so you can use it without available wifi but it also has maps that work with wifi.

Allows you to do a lot of very useful stuff - can set-up preselected itineraries and it suggests stops, can add rest days, maps of every town, city and village, shows the route, shows locations of all the hostels/alburgues and shows facilities, prices, and exact map location. If you zoom in on the downloadable map also shows banks, ATMs, restaurants, other hotels, police, post office, etc., etc.

I hope to start on the 4th Aug and I'm sure you'll catch up with me and shoot past :)

Buen Camino

Can I suggest it would be a very good idea to phone ahead and book accommodation.

If you have an android tablet or phone this app will help a lot:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.moemke.android.mycamino

It is free to download and use - the writer asks for donations but that's it - I am not involved with the author but love it.

It allows you to download a map to your device so you can use it without available wifi but it also has maps that work with wifi.

Allows you to do a lot of very useful stuff - can set-up preselected itineraries and it suggests stops, can add rest days, maps of every town, city and village, shows the route, shows locations of all the hostels/alburgues and shows facilities, prices, and exact map location. If you zoom in on the downloadable map also shows banks, ATMs, restaurants, other hotels, police, post office, etc., etc.

I hope to start on the 4th Aug and I'm sure you'll catch up with me and shoot past :)

Buen Camino

That's a great tip. Many thanks

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Apart of not following the Brierley stages, consider also starting at an "odd" day. A lot of people incorporate a weekend in their holidays and a typical starting day would be Friday/Saturday. If, for example, you are starting out on a Tuesday from Roncesvalles you avoid, at least a bit, "the pilgrim waves". Buen Camino, SY

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back