• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in Leon (or around) late September

rebsalt

Time of past OR future Camino
September-October 2015 and March-April 2016
Hello all,
I've been reviewing all of these great posts and am looking forward to starting my journey soon. I'll head from Barcelona to Leon on the 23rd of September and hope to start on the camino on the morning of the 24th. I have just under 3 weeks and would love to make it to Finisterre (it's okay if I don't at this time). A couple of questions- most of the forums and itineraries discuss the crowds starting in that area- but earlier in the season. Is it often still crowded by the end of September and early October? Are there other tips people would recommend for hiking in the fall rather than in the spring and summer- perhaps something that feels very different (besides weather- I will bring my sleeping bag and warmer socks) at this time that I should be aware of? Or any places to stay/eat that start shutting down in the fall?
Thanks very much.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Or any places to stay/eat that start shutting down in the fall?
Closings are at the end of October, so you will be fine. The crowds won't begin in Leon, but there will be more pilgrims in the last 100 km from Sarria. The crowds won't be bad in early October; you will find a bed at almost any albergue. Buen camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
We started in Leon in June, so pretty much the beginning of the high season. It was fine. There were plenty of people, but I wouldn't call them crowds - we always found beds without much trouble, pretty much always found open tables in restaurants and cafes, and at many points along the walk were alone. Obviously "crowds" are a relative thing - and the Camino does pick up more and more people as you get closer to Santiago, and Leon has good train connections, so it is a convenient starting point. A fair number of people do start there.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Wondering if you are stuck, without a bed, in the middle of the Camino, in a very small town...can we expect to get a taxi to another location where beds might be available?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back