• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in Porto Aug 10, 2013

debbiewelch1760

Time of past OR future Camino
2010 and 2012 and 2013
Hi! I have walked parts of the French Route and this year have decided to walk from Porto to Santiago and hope to walk along the coast the first 5 days. I have read some of the blogs about the coastal route being a little harder to find the markers but one blog simplified it and said- just keep the water to your left and walk north. Sounds like maybe I could do that. I am just wondering if anyone out there might have the same plan . Or is anyone starting in Porto around the same time?
Sincerely- Debbie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Debbie! You will enjoy this rote very much! I just finished the route two weeks ago. I can't speak to the 5 days on the costal bit, however. I will say you need to be a bit more vigilant (compared to the French way) when looking for markers.

Debbie, how did your walk go? I'm exploring a Camino - the Portuguese route - for the first time this Fall. It will be an adventure, to be certain! I'm wondering how you fared and what tips you have. I very much want the scenery of the coastal route as well.

Kindly,
Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked this route in May/June and it was beautiful. Even though it would be difficult to get lost keeping the ocean on your left, there are several sections where it is almost impossible to stay close to the coast. If you follow the markers, they will many times throw you back East towards the international highway or some other asphalt paved secondary road. I decided to make my own path regardless of the markers in order to stay as close to the sea as possible. Sometimes this got me in a little trouble with waterways that were impossible to forge or rocks that were impassible, and I had no choice but to go East to find the main road. I am so happy that I took this route vs the main route out of Porto. If you need the names of small hotels or pensions along the way that I would highly recommend, please feel free to PM me. Also, an extra day in Porto starting off is a real bonus....so much to see and do. Rick

We walked the Portuguese route in early May. Did not walk on the coast but met up with those that did in and after Barcelos. The scenery was beautiful - walking thru woods, along rivers, vineyards, farms and villages. We loved the Portuguese camino - our first camino. We were told from friends we met, the coastal route was well marked and it wasn't difficult because we would like to go that way in the future. Porto is beautiful and a destination in itself. Plan to visit there a couple of days if possible. After Santiago, we did take the train to Viana de Castelo and stayed there three days on our way back to Porto. I hope the coastal route takes you there. Whichever way, I know you will not be disappointed! Bon Camino

I walked this route in May/June and it was beautiful. Even though it would be difficult to get lost keeping the ocean on your left, there are several sections where it is almost impossible to stay close to the coast. If you follow the markers, they will many times throw you back East towards the international highway or some other asphalt paved secondary road. I decided to make my own path regardless of the markers in order to stay as close to the sea as possible. Sometimes this got me in a little trouble with waterways that were impossible to forge or rocks that were impassible, and I had no choice but to go East to find the main road. I am so happy that I took this route vs the main route out of Porto. If you need the names of small hotels or pensions along the way that I would highly recommend, please feel free to PM me. Also, an extra day in Porto starting off is a real bonus....so much to see and do. Rick
Thank you, Rick! I might PM you for certain for more information this weekend. ~Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We walked the Portuguese route in early May. Did not walk on the coast but met up with those that did in and after Barcelos. The scenery was beautiful - walking thru woods, along rivers, vineyards, farms and villages. We loved the Portuguese camino - our first camino. We were told from friends we met, the coastal route was well marked and it wasn't difficult because we would like to go that way in the future. Porto is beautiful and a destination in itself. Plan to visit there a couple of days if possible. After Santiago, we did take the train to Viana de Castelo and stayed there three days on our way back to Porto. I hope the coastal route takes you there. Whichever way, I know you will not be disappointed! Bon Camino
Appreciate your information and encouragement, too! I waiver trying to even choose which Camino to walk for certain. So many plussess & minuses for them all. I really must decide. Thank you again! ~Laurie

I walked from Porto to Santiago in July 2013 and there were a several people I met who after walking the coastal route had lots of good things to say about it. I spent my first 2 days from Santa Clara to Barcelinos and only saw 2 other pilgrims. The day I arrived in Santiago there were 1500 people descending from the CF and less than 40 from the Portugues. That's certainly a plus when it comes to finding a place to spend the night because the services are limited on this route. The trail is very well marked except for one spot where the new rail line is being installed just north of Padron. I even walked in the dark and never got lost. You can not walk the Portugues without stopping at Casa Fernanda in Lugar do Corgo for the night, it is without a doubt the best albergue in the world. The municipals in Ponte de Lima, Porrino and Redondela get major thumbs up as well.

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back