• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in SJPP -- fly into Madrid or Paris?

peregrina2000

Staff member
For years, there has been a lot of discussion about whether to fly into Paris or Madrid if the starting point is SJPP. This issue is much more of an issue for non-European pilgrims, because we either have to buy a round trip ticket in and out of one city or an "open jaw" ticket into one city and out of another, and sometimes (not always) the cost is prohibitive.

Paris to Bayonne to SJPP by train always seemed to be the easiest, but then the pilgrim had to figure out how to get back to Paris from Santiago, which was a bit more complicated.

Then, Alsa/Conda started bus service to SJPP from Pamplona. It was very limited to start, but I have just seen that the service has expanded quite a bit:

8:00 (July 7 - Aug. 31)
2:00 pm (March 22 - November 1)
5:30 pm (June 1 - September 30)

So, now, if you walk between March 22 and Nov. 1, your route to SJPP from Pamplona is much easier than it used to be: Madrid - Pamplona (either by bus, train, or plane) - SJPP

The tipping point for me is the fact that Santiago back to Madrid is usually easier and cheaper, by bus, train or plane, than Santiago back to Paris.

There will always be exceptions, of course, but the broad strokes have changed a bit since I last walked from SJPP.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I just checked there are 2 buses running daily from Pamplona - SJPdP at 2pm and 5:30 pm. They take 1hr & 30 mins. to arrive at SJPdP.

Buen Camino!

I suspect this issue will boil down to a number of very personal factors. There is no universal right answer.

I flew into and out of Paris (CDG), and if I could do it over, I'd fly into Paris and out of Spain. From CDG airport, the fast trains south are great, efficient, ideal if you want to do a stopover in a place like Bordeaux, which I did, before going on to Bayonne.

The reason I'd fly out of Spain is because it's a lot easier than getting back to Paris. Further, if you want to see more of Spain after your Camino, a return flight home from a city in Spain you plan to visit is best. I had a week after my Camino to visit Madrid, Granada and Barcelona, and having to get back to Paris proved to be a hassle, a time-eater and a costly one at that. Note that I've already done Paris in a previous life and felt no need to spend time here. Again, very personal factors at play.

I also note that my expectations and travel goals changed after I began my Camino. I wasn't sure I'd finish the entire CF, which would have left me with loads of free days. I ended up finishing faster than I expected, injury free and in good health, which left me enthusiastic about further travels to Madrid and beyond.

The most important thing for me in the entire process was not what hubs to fly into and out of, but the amount of time I gave myself. Give yourself more time than you think you'll need to complete your Camino. I felt sorry for the pilgrims I met who had 28 days, and were frantic in their pace, obsessed with getting to Santiago in time for their return flight.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The most important thing for me in the entire process was not what hubs to fly into and out of, but the amount of time I gave myself. Give yourself more time than you think you'll need to complete your Camino. I felt sorry for the pilgrims I met who had 28 days, and were frantic in their pace, obsessed with getting to Santiago in time for their return flight.

In Spanish there is a saying - " Visteme despacio que tengo prisa." " Dress me slowly, Im in a hurry."

People should take their time. Rushing things is a bad thing.

Buen Camino!

For years, there has been a lot of discussion about whether to fly into Paris or Madrid if the starting point is SJPP. This issue is much more of an issue for non-European pilgrims, because we either have to buy a round trip ticket in and out of one city or an "open jaw" ticket into one city and out of another, and sometimes (not always) the cost is prohibitive.

Paris to Bayonne to SJPP by train always seemed to be the easiest, but then the pilgrim had to figure out how to get back to Paris from Santiago, which was a bit more complicated.

Then, Alsa/Conda started bus service to SJPP from Pamplona. It was very limited to start, but I have just seen that the service has expanded quite a bit:

8:00 (July 7 - Aug. 31)
2:00 pm (March 22 - November 1)
5:30 pm (June 1 - September 30)

So, now, if you walk between March 22 and Nov. 1, your route to SJPP from Pamplona is much easier than it used to be: Madrid - Pamplona (either by bus, train, or plane) - SJPP

The tipping point for me is the fact that Santiago back to Madrid is usually easier and cheaper, by bus, train or plane, than Santiago back to Paris.

There will always be exceptions, of course, but the broad strokes have changed a bit since I last walked from SJPP.
In late May, I flew from the states to Paris and then on to Pau, France for a hiking trip on the French/Spanish border. I believe that Pau is just a short train ride from SJPP. Surprisingly, the plane ticket was less than $100 dollars more than it would have been had I gotten off at Paris.

I would agree with Laurie. There are two other considerations, imo. Cost, usually cheaper to fly into Madrid versus Paris, at least from Chicago. Do you plan to do any travel or visits while in Europe.

Ultreya,
Joe

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If I want to start from SJPP or Roncesvalles I would fly to Pamplona, San Sebastian or maybe Bilbao for their easy bus and train connections for the starting points in France and Spain. The airfare is mas o menos the same than flying into Madrid.
And I fly back home from Santiago to avoid the long hours in the bus or train when getting to Madrid.

But maybe it is different for us living in Europe.

Yes, plain and simple, you Europeans are incredibly spoiled for having the luxury of all these cheap airlines criss-crossing the entire continent selling you cheap one way point-to-point tickets, while we North Americans (at least in the US) are held hostage by Big Air. I'm jealous.

Yes, plain and simple, you Europeans are incredibly spoiled for having the luxury of all these cheap airlines criss-crossing the entire continent selling you cheap one way point-to-point tickets, while we North Americans (at least in the US) are held hostage by Big Air. I'm jealous.

Hola Laurie,
I don´t fly the cheapos - never - I fly Iberia, British Airways, Finnair and the other Oneworld airlines.
I want to check in my bag and I want to fly on ONE TICKET to my destination. If delays they will put me on the next flight.
Laurie, next time check www.iberia,com for your tickets.

I think they are allied with American Airlines.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, Annie,
But the economists will tell you that the Big Air companies have to lower their prices to compete with the cheapos, so you get the best of both worlds.

I fly Iberia a lot, and what I have found is that if I add on the in-Spain legs to my US-Madrid flight, the price is great. Last year, I went US-Madrid-Valencia and then Santiago-Madrid-US, and the total air fare was about $120 more expensive than a US to Madrid round trip would have been.

When I was flying home from Madrid in June on Iberia, I asked the flight attendant about my Santiago-Madrid flight that was on "Iberia Express," which I had never seen before. Her answer -- Iberia just shut down a lot of flights, fired all the staff, then opened a new subsidiary to take charge of the old routes they had just shut down, and hired people at much lower wages. So I'm not saying that having all this competition is a good thing for human welfare overall.

I know Laurie, we all have to find out what is best for us.
I am still working 40 hours every week so time is also money for me.
It is very convenient to get as close to the starting point as possible as fast possible so there will be more time for the camino.

When I fly to Norway from Galicia, I have used the direct flight from Vigo to Paris a few times with AirFrance (Citroen has a factory in Vigo, that is why they have this route from there). You have to go to Vigo, but the flight is direct. Price varies, but I have found it to be good if you are able to reserve a bit in advance.

Alternatively, www.vueling.es has a direct flight to Paris from Santiago (but not all year I think)... prices also good if booked some time in advance.

...might be some alternatives for those wanting to get back to Paris for return flight home. :)

Saludos,
Ivar

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am flying from san francisco (california) to paris (cdg) and same day flight from paris to biarritz and catching a train from bayonne to sjpdp

If I want to start from SJPP or Roncesvalles I would fly to Pamplona, San Sebastian or maybe Bilbao for their easy bus and train connections for the starting points in France and Spain. The airfare is mas o menos the same than flying into Madrid.
And I fly back home from Santiago to avoid the long hours in the bus or train when getting to Madrid.

But maybe it is different for us living in Europe.

I flew into Bilbao and then took a bus to Pamplona, stayed the night and took another bus to SJPDP the next day. Check into flying into Pamplona or Bilbao, it can be more convenient and possibly cheaper than flying into Biarritz.

I flew transatlantic into Barcelona and could not have been easier-- bus to Pamplona, van service to SJPDP. Convenient hours; 24 Euros Barcelona to Pamplona; 9 Euros van Pamplona SJPDP. All same day, arrived at SJPDP with plenty time to get to the Pilgrim's Office and explore the town.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I flew to London Heathrow round trip. From there I had to transfer between airports. EasyJet and RyanAir fly to Biarritz, Santiago, and many other locations throughout Europe and it is easy to book one way flights with them.

The closest airport to SJPdP is Biarritz (BIQ)
http://en.biarritz.aeroport.fr/
You'll note the page of airlines and destinations include flights from Paris and London but not from Madrid ...

Aena manages all airports in Spain
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Satellite/HomeAenaAeropuertos/en/Home.html
You can find all sorts of information by going to the airport website you are interested in.

Santiago (SCQ)

Last edited by a moderator:
KLM / Delta / Air France has a number of open jaw tickets from the USA and Canada in and out of different cities in Europe.

I would pick a KLM/ Air France flight into Paris and return out of either Madrid or Barcelona. Some flights back to the states are direct while Canadian flight tend to go through Paris or Amsterdam.

It far easier to train back to Madrid than Paris from Santiago. I can also recommend an airport hotel that is very affordable and offers free shuttles to and from the airport

Costs for the open jaw ticket is really not anymore than a simple return say out of Paris for example.

In late May, I flew from the states to Paris and then on to Pau, France for a hiking trip on the French/Spanish border. I believe that Pau is just a short train ride from SJPP. Surprisingly, the plane ticket was less than $100 dollars more than it would have been had I gotten off at Paris.

From Pau you must go to Bordeaux I believe and then back to saint jean via Bayonne but you are correct it is very close

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back