• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting My First Camino on December 12, 2014

MaeZen

Time of past OR future Camino
12/2014
I will arrive at SJPP this Friday Dec 12th from Washington DC, and plan to start my first Camino on the next day the 13. I am wondering if anyone else is starting at the same time. I am very excited about the journey and also nervous :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Don't be nervous, doesn't really help no matter what happens. From where are you starting? It's actually warmer now in Saint Jean Pied de Port then say Pamplona or Burgos, still bring your longhandles, it will be cold and rain expected soon in the next few days. Jetlag? Setting out almost 30 kilometers from say SJPP is not the best idea, do give yourself time to kick your bio-clock around. Christmas on the Camino is fantastic put plan well, not all the albergues will be open and even many pensions/hotels/B&B's may be shut down a day or two for the holidays. Buen Camino!

Hi MaeZen, my wife and I started almost at the same time four years ago and had a wonderful Camino. My guess is that you will as well. Each year it seems more people are choosing to walk in the winter so you will not lack for company. Weather wise you can expect a little bit of everything including, surprisingly, some warm days. We never lacked for food or lodging. Something was always open. Call ahead (or have someone do it for you) to confirm the next albergue or wherever you plan to stay is actually open. Some businesses , at this time of year, might close without notice. We (8 of us) spent Christmas eve in the municipal albergue in Santo Domingo. We found an Eroski supermarket open in the late afternoon (surprise, surprise) and purchased what was needed to celebrate this very special night. It was a truly a special moment on what proved to be a thoroughly enjoyable Camino. But, I digress. Have fun. Fond memories are awaiting you. Buen Camino.

Iohn

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just a few days to go! How exciting! Don't be nervous. You will find your way and your pace and you will love it! Just take your time and be safe.
Buen camino :)

Thanks everyone for the tips and encouragement, which definitely ease up my anxiety for the trip. I really appreciate your kindness. This forum is such a wonderful community!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi MaeZen, my wife and I started almost at the same time four years ago and had a wonderful Camino. My guess is that you will as well. Each year it seems more people are choosing to walk in the winter so you will not lack for company. Weather wise you can expect a little bit of everything including, surprisingly, some warm days. We never lacked for food or lodging. Something was always open. Call ahead (or have someone do it for you) to confirm the next albergue or wherever you plan to stay is actually open. Some businesses , at this time of year, might close without notice. We (8 of us) spent Christmas eve in the municipal albergue in Santo Domingo. We found an Eroski supermarket open in the late afternoon (surprise, surprise) and purchased what was needed to celebrate this very special night. It was a truly a special moment on what proved to be a thoroughly enjoyable Camino. But, I digress. Have fun. Fond memories are awaiting you. Buen Camino.

Iohn

That sounds so nice. I am thinking to stop at a bigger town for Christmas, so it may be more convenient than small villages. Also I look forward to meeting other walkers along the way.

So envious - have a great, safe and happy Camino.

Please keep us informed as to your experience. My hat is off to you for doing a winter Camino. Be sure to check the weather before leaving SJPD. The pass can be quite snowy. Good luck! Will you be on Facebook????

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I will arrive at SJPP this Friday Dec 12th from Washington DC, and plan to start my first Camino on the next day the 13. I am wondering if anyone else is starting at the same time. I am very excited about the journey and also nervous :)

Hello MaeZen,

You might not see this post today if you are on your way, however, whenever you see it,,,,,,,,,,Buen Camino and hope you have a good start tomorrow.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi MaeZen,
This past October I stayed at Santa Clara Albergue in Bercianos del Real Camino (just beyond Sahagun). Rosa and her husband are incredible hosts - great albergue, washer/dryer and a big buffet breakfast. Rosa told me that she only closes during the month of August and that she is open during the winter to provide a warm place for pilgrims. I hope your plans will allow you to spend the night there. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back