• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting my (mental) journey

C clearly

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012
I don't have much to post yet, but I have been reading the forum almost daily for a few weeks and thought I should introduce myself.

I have decided that I'd like to do a portion of El Camino. Since I don't know if I have the physical stamina (I'm 59) or the time (I have limited vacation time) or the compulsion to do one of the long routes, I thought I would start with a shorter one.

I have a friend in Porto who might join me next spring for a walk along the Camino Portugues. I live in the area of Vancouver, Canada. We have the idea of a moderate challenge - maybe 10 to 15 km per day for 10-14 days. I have never done a long-distance walk.

My serious training won't start until next spring, but in the meantime I have a 7 km route I try to walk several times per week, and occasionally do twice that. I am not in fabulous condition, but am able to walk that distance without trouble. The only question is whether I can do it day after day. (Sometimes my feet hurt, sometimes my right knee.)

So thank you all for the interesting photos and stories you post.

- CB

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Walking and the Body

You might give yourself a little more credit for physical stamina. Unless you have some debilitating affliction which would preclude it, walking is an amazingly good exercise for your body, particularly so for some of those mildly arthritic joints. While they may hurt more at the beginning of the walk (or your regime of walking exercise prior to it), you will become amazed at how quickly the pain begins to diminish as your tolerance for the miles increases. And you will be further amazed at the difference between the miles/km you could walk at the beginning of the Camino and the sizable increase of them what you could almost effortless do towards it's end. In fact, it is not uncommon for folks your age -or more - to be walking the equivalent of occasional marathons (26.2 miles/42.2 km or even more) towards the end of the walk.

The Camino is a great place to start slowly and build up quickly while carrying little.

I am 65 and I did the Camino Francès in 2 stages over 2 years. I am an ordinary guy, I do some training to keep my cardio vascular system in some sort of shape.

I plan to do the route from Lisbon to Santiago in April 2008.

Except for the available time, when you are decided to go, the energy and stamina to walk the route will be there. Some days will be easy others more difficult but, all in all, quite feasable for a young man of 59.

You have advantages over me by living in BC (besides taxes): you can train in winter and it rains as much as in Galicia.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
cebr, Sil posted a link with the statistics for pilgrims in 2006. Just over 100,000 pilgrims turned up in Santiago... and 15,872 of them were aged between 56 to 65. I am turning 50 within the next fortnight and took great heart from the age distribution on this site!
http://www.archicompostela.org/Peregrin ... R%20EDADES

I am hoping to walk from Le Puy next year (not sure to exactly where at this stage) and I have recently been sent the most marvellous photos of the route from a gentleman on this forum who is 65.
All the best for your planning!
Margaret

Don't be put off CB either by your age or anything else. I'm 64 and have never been 'fit' or 'sporty' but I did some preparatory walks with my local group - 10 to 15 km - which was good for my confidence.

On the route I carefully didn't try to walk too far and laughed off the sneers of other walkers who were going much further each day or amazed that we were having 'rest days'.

But I surprised myself in managing to walk for two months without any serious problems - I had no blisters and managed lots better than many other people young and old. I think good boots, a light pack and not walking further than is comfortable is the answer. We saw so many people pushing themselves to make long, difficult distances and then having to take taxis or return home because their knees had swollen up or their blisters were unbearable.

Personally, I felt a lot fitter at the end - the trek over to Roncevalles was a breeze after walking through France in bad weather - and I even managed to lose a few pounds!

P.S. Most people walking in France in May-June are 50 plus and we met plenty of seventy-year olds.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Margaret

We just did Le Puy to Pamplona. It was incredibly wet and muddy this year - I think it was only the last day into Pamplona when we didn't arrive at our destination covered in mud. The stated time to do it is officially given as 4-5 weeks but we took eight! And I wouldn't have wanted to do it any faster - we like stopping and looking at things along the way - and there is lots to look at. We also noticed that at the start people were far more ambitious about distances whereas from Moissac most people were more experienced and were doing the same sort of distances as us.

I have started to put together a list of accommodation etc. - still under construction - but you can get an idea here:

http://www.windeatt.f2s.com/camino.htm

I will be adding the distances in shortly.

Thanks windeatt for sharing your info. I look forward to exploring it more and seeing what else you add. Having info from someone who has done the Le Puy route is very valuable to me. Also, hearing that you did it 'your speed' without worrying, and taking your time, and ended up injury free, is encouraging.

I was in France last year. I was in the Cahors area mid-May when the temperature was late 20s, but one morning we had a torrential downpour that sent 'rivers' down the medieval hilly streets, and I got absolutely drenched. Late May, all of France had some terrible windy storms, and I was glad to 'hide out' with a friend near Paris for a few days. I cycled in the Loire in June when there was a heat wave for about ten days, but I had gone to Ireland before the next very big heat wave in France in July.

I have been watching several French weather sites on the Camino route since April this year, and have been quite astounded to see how wet and cold it has been. Even now, it is still quite wet and cold! Quite a contrast to last year when I was there. I can only wonder what next year will bring, but will certainly be taking warm clothing and good wet weather gear!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you windeatt for the realistic postings, none of the holier than thou attitude for a change. We stayed and savoured the moments along the route, kept ourselves clean and rested, preferred to budget to stay in Euro30 accommodation until the refugios and hospitaleros sorted themselves out.

Try out Meson el Cid which is right in front of Burgos Cathedral, pilgrims walked right in front of the door. Cost Euro57 for two in May 2007, this is 60% off published rates which we got off bookings.com.

I don't have much to post yet, but I have been reading the forum almost daily for a few weeks and thought I should introduce myself.

I have decided that I'd like to do a portion of El Camino. Since I don't know if I have the physical stamina (I'm 59) or the time (I have limited vacation time) or the compulsion to do one of the long routes, I thought I would start with a shorter one.

I have a friend in Porto who might join me next spring for a walk along the Camino Portugues. I live in the area of Vancouver, Canada. We have the idea of a moderate challenge - maybe 10 to 15 km per day for 10-14 days. I have never done a long-distance walk.

My serious training won't start until next spring, but in the meantime I have a 7 km route I try to walk several times per week, and occasionally do twice that. I am not in fabulous condition, but am able to walk that distance without trouble. The only question is whether I can do it day after day. (Sometimes my feet hurt, sometimes my right knee.)

- CB
I was 56, unfit and overweight when I started the CF last year. I started very slowly and my stamina improved every day. My feet and legs wanted to walk every day, some days a few miles, other days 15 miles, depending on how I was feeling. You can do it, just take it nice and slow in the beginning. I walked it all in 39 days. You may not have that time but do what you can and..........enjoy every minute connecting with that magical road. Buen Camino!

- CB
@C clearly, "You've come a long way, baby!" Ten years on this forum, many caminos under your belt, and offering great advise to so many pilgrims, past, present and future newbies!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@C clearly, "You've come a long way, baby!" Ten years on this forum, many caminos under your belt, and offering great advise to so many pilgrims, past, present and future newbies!
So true. It is funny to read about my youthful uncertainty!

Last edited:
Walking and the Body

You might give yourself a little more credit for physical stamina. Unless you have some debilitating affliction which would preclude it, walking is an amazingly good exercise for your body, particularly so for some of those mildly arthritic joints. While they may hurt more at the beginning of the walk (or your regime of walking exercise prior to it), you will become amazed at how quickly the pain begins to diminish as your tolerance for the miles increases. And you will be further amazed at the difference between the miles/km you could walk at the beginning of the Camino and the sizable increase of them what you could almost effortless do towards it's end. In fact, it is not uncommon for folks your age -or more - to be walking the equivalent of occasional marathons (26.2 miles/42.2 km or even more) towards the end of the walk.

The Camino is a great place to start slowly and build up quickly while carrying little.
This is hilarious! In fact, it is not uncommon for folks your age -or more - to be walking the equivalent of occasional marathons (26.2 miles/42.2 km or even more) towards the end of the walk. I walked the CF when I was 58, strengthened by the example of one of the best teachers I discovered while researching (Mspath). My walking companion phoned a private albergue the day we had to walk 13km more than planned because Portomarin had been bursting at the seams and the next municipal albergue was closed for repairs, and the following one was full. She used me as her bargaining plea: my friend is an old lady!!! They kept us beds! And, we caught up with a bunch of our walking companions who had really long legs.

I must qualify my above post. I still find it hilarious, the section I highlighted. However, I do not mean to dismiss the genuine good intentions of the person who wrote that sentence. This is a good reminder to me of how careful I need to be to think again before hitting the post button.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
"No Problemo" Absolutely no offense was taken. I wrote that post back in 2007 and I based it on my own experience and I was 64 at the time. I'm now 74 and beginning planning to combine the first of the Camino de Madrid with the Camino Sanabres. It will be my 6th and 7th Caminos. I cannot find much info on the Sanabres, though.

"No Problemo" Absolutely no offense was taken. I wrote that post back in 2007 and I based it on my own experience and I was 64 at the time. I'm now 74 and beginning planning to combine the first of the Camino de Madrid with the Camino Sanabres. It will be my 6th and 7th Caminos. I cannot find much info on the Sanabres, though.
Very kind of you, John. I hadn't noticed the date of your post! I see from this one you are mentioning a lack of info on the Sanabres. Just wait. You will get help from those who know. All the best, buen camino.

- CB
I, too, am in Vancouver and I recommend you join the Vancouver Camino Group on FB. Here is a link - https://www.facebook.com/groups/334873150237031/. They have weekly walks, mostly on a Sunday, that range from 10km to 16km all over the lower mainland. Great people, great group. Definitely sign up, you'll get a lot of information from the people in the group.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.