• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting Norte 20th june 2023. Probably from Bilbao

alwalker

Al WAlker
Time of past OR future Camino
many.

next ones- Via Francigena, San Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
Please advise.
Which is the best camino Norte map ...pref with live location.
Is there a current list of albergues for the Norte?

I have been walking Italian caminos for 2 months and I survived with the great help of google translate. I am looking forward to more English.
Are there any Kiwis and Australians on the Norte 20th to June ...10 July?? Buen camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Please advise.
Which is the best camino Norte map ...pref with live location.
Is there a current list of albergues for the Norte?

I have been walking Italian caminos for 2 months and I survived with the great help of google translate. I am looking forward to more English.
Are there any Kiwis and Australians on the Norte 20th to June ...10 July?? Buen camino.
Hi or g'day (Aussie here),

I use the buen camino ap. I think there is a live location. However, I haven't used it as am still old school with my guide book map. So far from Irun to Santander I haven't needed it. I did use it for albergues though, it lists them.

I left the Norte in Santander last July and will be back there from 1/7 this year so maybe we will cross paths. Have you been documenting the Italian caminos anywhere, would love to read if so? I am currently also walking to Rome from my front door but so far just I'm just through Holland to Belgium.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I use the Buen Camino and Wise Pilgrim apps.

Hi,

I've not yet walked the Del Norte but hopefully will be the next one when we have the time.

On previous trips we used the Camino Ninja app which worked very well. It has the trail on the map and will give a live GPS location. Although, the signposting is usually very good on the Spanish caminos to be fair. The app also gives distances to each town and information on facilities like cafes/albergues etc.

Buen camino!

On previous trips we used the Camino Ninja app which worked very well
Unfortunately, the Camino Ninja app is no more. The creator died last year, and it's no longer available to download. It also didn't cover the Norte.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Unfortunately, the Camino Ninja app is no more. The creator died last year, and it's no longer available to download. It also didn't cover the Norte.
I'm sorry to hear that the creator died. It was a brilliant project and certainly helped us on our travels.

All of the guidebooks of the del Norte are excellent. Village to Village Press is the lightest, except for the much lighter apps. Why start in Bilbao and miss most of the beautiful Basque country and wonderful Basque people? Buen Camino

I walked Bilbao-Santiago last June and used the live option on the Buen Camino app only once. On previous Norte walks I never used a guide book nor app as the signage is good.

Gronze is my good to place for information about route and albergues.

There are many alternatives (follow the E9 closer to the coast) to avoid asphalt. There are many posts here on the Forum with other coastal option with Wikiloc gps tracks.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walked Bilbao-Santiago last June and used the live option on the Buen Camino app only once. On previous Norte walks I never used a guide book nor app as the signage is good.

Gronze is my good to place for information about route and albergues.

There are many alternatives (follow the E9 closer to the coast) to avoid asphalt. There are many posts here on the Forum with other coastal option with Wikiloc gps tracks.
Thank you for this encouraging info. I am now more comfortable with my idea of using only gronze.

I will look a Buen camino app..thank you
I suspect that I will be ahead of you 1/7 as I need to be in Santiago on the 9th. Maybe I can pass on Good albergues. You will find it on FB. Al Walker.
Just finished camino Maltese, Malta, Sicily, Sardinia. It was very early days for this camino and only met two other pilgrimd in Sardinia. How long have you bern walking on this trip?

All of the guidebooks of the del Norte are excellent. Village to Village Press is the lightest, except for the much lighter apps. Why start in Bilbao and miss most of the beautiful Basque country and wonderful Basque people? Buen Camino
I am short on time and I have previously walked the very lovely Basque coast.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I will look a Buen camino app..thank you
I suspect that I will be ahead of you 1/7 as I need to be in Santiago on the 9th. Maybe I can pass on Good albergues. You will find it on FB. Al Walker.
Just finished camino Maltese, Malta, Sicily, Sardinia. It was very early days for this camino and only met two other pilgrimd in Sardinia. How long have you bern walking on this trip?
Yes you will be ahead for sure! I have walked two stages so far Irun - Bilbao and Bilbao to Santander. I just pop down from NL for a stage along the Norte at a time.

Oh wow you've some interesting walks under your belt! We were in Sardinia last summer but the heatwave was unbearable ... had to stick close to water. Would love to return there for some walking.

Enjoy the Norte!

Yes you will be ahead for sure! I have walked two stages so far Irun - Bilbao and Bilbao to Santander. I just pop down from NL for a stage along the Norte at a time.

Oh wow you've some interesting walks under your belt! We were in Sardinia last summer but the heatwave was unbearable ... had to stick close to water. Would love to return there for some walking.

Enjoy the Norte!
I had some trepidation re.walking temperatures this year. (after seeing what happened last year) but ths year was unseasonably wet and cool..perfect walking temp. My Spanish walk is starting a little earlier and I am using the time to do the Valcarlos walk out of SJPP...I haven't done that route over the Pyrenees. Keep me posted on when you start the Norte.

I had some trepidation re.walking temperatures this year. (after seeing what happened last year) but ths year was unseasonably wet and cool..perfect walking temp. My Spanish walk is starting a little earlier and I am using the time to do the Valcarlos walk out of SJPP...I haven't done that route over the Pyrenees. Keep me posted on when you start the Norte.

It is crazy the differences in weather each year! i was on the Camino end of May this year and the rain was excessive. Was there same time, many years before - no rain at all.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
For my next Camino I’m thinking of starting on the Norte from Bilbao around 20 August . I wonder if accomodation will be a problem on the Norte from bilbao onwards , and how many average days walking it would be from Bilbao to Ribadeo along the Norte route?

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back