• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting Norte September 14 solo

Simon Shum

Time of past OR future Camino
Last minute questions -- I was planning to walk the VdLP with my wife but now she wants to do it next April. So I just booked myself a flight to Bilbao arriving 6pm.
1. How do I get to Irun from Bilbao airport and then to the Irun hospital de peregrino (hopefully get there in before they close at 10 pm). Stay in the albergue would allow me to meet new friends!
2. And if the hospital de peregrinos is full, any suggestion for budget places close by?
3. I have 32 days to walk to Santiago, then take the bus back to Bilbao for the return flight on October 18th, so I think I need to skip couple stages, any suggestions?

Thanks very very much for helping!
Simon

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Plug your dates here to look at the bus schedule for,this route:

https://www.alsa.es/rutas/bilbao-irun.htm
Thanks Anemone, from the schedule looks like I wouldn't get to Irun before 10pm and would miss staying in the hospital de peregrinos.
Another question -- if I start walking from Bilbao to Santiago instead of starting from Irun, would I be missing the most scenic parts of the Norte?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You will most certainly miss the most beautiful, and more difficult part. Stay in a hotel for that first night and start from Irun, you woild regret it otherwise.

Btw, not "hospital" but "albergue" or "hostal", but albergue is the most commonly word used for the dorm type places dedicated to pilgrims.

For all things transporation related visit rome2rio.com. It will give you like this for trains from Bilbao to Irun:

https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Bilbao/Irun

I am so jealous, you are going to love this route.

You will most certainly miss the most beautiful, and more difficult part. Stay in a hotel for that first night and start from Irun, you woild regret it otherwise.

Btw, not "hospital" but "albergue" or "hostal", but albergue is the most commonly word used for the dorm type places dedicated to pilgrims.

For all things transporation related visit rome2rio.com. It will give you like this for trains from Bilbao to Irun:

https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Bilbao/Irun

I am so jealous, you are going to love this route.

Thanks for the suggestion and the useful websites. I have been reading this forum for a while and really like Norte, and a lot of your answers to others' questions too! Thanks for your kindness!

I have only walked from San Sebastian to Llanes, but if you are looking for bits to skip I would suggest 2: from Guernika to Bilbao amd then from Santander to Santillana.

Have fun!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
1. How do I get to Irun from Bilbao airport and then to the Irun hospital de peregrino (hopefully get there in before they close at 10 pm). Stay in the albergue would allow me to meet new friends!

Thanks very very much for helping!
Simon

Simon,
I'm sure I have seen posts here on the forum in the last few months that there is a bus every half hour from Bilbao airport to San Sebastian, and from SS there is a regular train (Cercania) to Irun. The alternative is to go into Bilbao city and get a bus to Irun. That would most likely be more time consuming.

For bus times from the airport to SS see www.pesa.net. Note that Bilbao airport is listed as Loiu. The bus from Bilbao (Loiu) to SS takes 90 minutes and the train is about a half hour. Train times are on the RENFE site. Factor in waiting times and you might make Irun by 9:00pm.

Simon,
I'm sure I have seen posts here on the forum in the last few months that there is a bus every half hour from Bilbao airport to San Sebastian, and from SS there is a regular train (Cercania) to Irun. The alternative is to go into Bilbao city and get a bus to Irun. That would most likely be more time consuming.

For bus times from the airport to SS see www.pesa.net. Note that Bilbao airport is listed as Loiu. The bus from Bilbao (Loiu) to SS takes 90 minutes and the train is about a half hour. Train times are on the RENFE site. Factor in waiting times and you might make Irun by 9:00pm.

Thanks Donovan, indeed by entering Loiu instead of Bilbao, the pesa.net site shows a bus to SS from Bilbao airport, and I could actually make it to Irun by 9 pm. It is a nice option, it would not give me much time to get to know fellow peregrinos in the Irun albergue. So I am leaning on staying in Bilbao for the night, see the city a bit, recover from jet lag, then bus to Irun in the afternoon. Still have a few days to decide!
Thanks again for your extensive experience!
Simon

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Simon, I suggest you take a look on www.blablacar.es where you can find some options to go from Bilbao to San Sebastian. There you can take a train to Irun. Currently there are three trips available that leave Bilbao after 15:00. They are also very cheap, 6-7 EUR.

I will arrive in Irun on the 15th, hopefully by 18:30 and, if possible, walk to Pasaje San Juan, so we might see each other during the journey.

Good luck!

Yes I have recently read about the blablacar in this forum, I will check it out, thanks!

And I too plan to walk to Pasaje either Sept 15th or 16th. Glad to meet up with you!

Buen Camino!

Simon, I'm 3 days into it and loving it. The first day to San Sebastián was awesome, and do take the high route when you start out, the 360 degree views are stunning.

And don't worry about making friends if you don't make the Albergue. On my third day now I've met so many people and fallen in with a small group and we're even booking ahead together. I'm sitting with them in the albergue at Anope waiting for our pizzas whilst writing this! Everyone is helpful and friendly and respects their fellow peregrinos.

On that score, it is very busy on the Norte and many places are full, so best to book ahead, although it may be quieter next week. But so far I've found that the Camino provides... and also surprises!

Buen Camino. Pete

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Pete, thanks for the heads up. I was hoping Norte wouldn't be too busy but it is nice to have companies!
Buen Camino!

Hi, Pete! Thanks for the "update". I too was, like Simon, hoping del Norte would not be crowded. Well, anyway, it will be an interesting experience. :)

Buen Camino!

I've been on the Norte for ~2 weeks now and really loving it. Experienced 2 wet days and lots of cooked days! I would say the route is still a bit crowded - many scout/teen groups doing it before starting semester, also summer/weekend/beach crowds in some of the cities (with great beaches and coatal paths of course) might be contributing as well.

Agree with above discussions 1) try to book ahead if possible, might be hard on the stages where you don't have many options...but you can always adjust km/day accordingly, accommodation shouldn't be a major problem. 2) Bilbao - Portugalete, Santander - Santillana del Mar...to name a fea industrial areas if you are looking to skip some sections.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back