• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting Point Question.

Phillypilgrim

Time of past OR future Camino
C F Sept.(2013) Camino de Madrid & Finisterre/Muxia Sept. (2014)
Finisterre/Muia June (2017).
Hello. Right now my plan is to begin September 1st 2013, SJPDP to Santiago, but curious about walking Madrid Route to Sahagun to connect with Camino Frances. This is my first Camino, walking solo, and a female turning 60 on route. Any thoughts about safety, infrastructure on the Madrid Route would be helpful.Thanks.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Perhaps I should post this question on the Camino Madrid thread. I thought veteran walkers/posters may have walked both Frances and Madrid and would comment. I like the thought of getting off the plane in Madrid and "just start walking". But not sure as a first timer if that is wise.
Thanks, and BTW I would be lost without this forum!

It may well be that no one was willing to advise a first-time pilgrim to walk the Camino Madrid to connect to the Camino Frances. It is much less traveled, probably requires good Spanish skills, and has some long stages more suitable to pilgrims with experience and fitness. Yes, try again the the other Forum thread, and you may get additional input.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks Falcon. I have come to my senses and will walk Camino Frances as originally planned. Can't wait! Leaving for Spain September 1st, told my husband I will be back for Thanksgiving at the latest!
I got quite a look. Thanks to all for this amazing forum! Pam

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I have just joined this forum after browsing for some time. It has been very valuable. A friend and I are starting from St. Jean on Sept 2nd this fall, both turned 60 this year. :shock: Perhaps we will see you along the way! I am self-employed (we are farmers) and when I finally disclosed the truth to my husband-who is supportive-that I would be away until Thanksgiving (Canadian) he said "But that's like a month and a half!!!" A very big job to arrange life to get away for so long, but I figure if I am already 60, time obviously flies by very fast, and you just never know when another opportunity will arise!

My friend and I ( both 62) will be starting from roncevalles sept 2nd. May see you at some point. We are from Sydney Australia. Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Princesskath,

Welcome to the Forum!

These topics are filled with great info for planning your September walk. Since most pilgrims enjoy offering advice and sharing their tips feel free to ask lots of questions. Be sure to check out this thread compiled for those of us aged Over 60 >> frequently-asked-questions/topic12014.html

Luckily now you have time now to assemble your kit and train for the Camino. It is most important to realize that this is NOT a walk in the park! Anybody any moment can pull or fall or break anything. The most common injury is the result of trying to walk too far too quickly carrying too much! Start by walking slowly and very easy for the first week. Daily distances cited in some guidebooks are not sacred; do not attempt 40 km the first day! Easy does it. Be a snail; slow but, determined.

Carpe Diem and Buen Camino to you both,

Margaret Meredith

Prairiegirl and Princesskath,I look forward to meeting you on The Way!
As Margaret Meredith suggests, I plan to walk slowly and snail-like, especially for the first 7 to 10 days. I may see friendly faces come and go, but hopefully see them further on down the road!

We also look forward to meeting you :) If not in the first day or so, then further along as our Way wends itself...
We are planning an extra day to visit the monastery of Santo Domingo de Silos near Burgos.
Thank you Maragaret for your kind welcome and generous advice. Slow and steady wins the race!
I remember as a young backpacker travelling Europe in the 70's ( :shock: ) a friend and I were hiking up to the base of the Matterhorn, going in bursts of speed, then having to stop and rest. Meanwhile an old Swiss man just kept plodding up the mountain, never stopping, but continually passing us as we lay panting on the edge of the trail. He won the race! :lol: We learned that day the importance of pacing oneself.
We are Debra and Rosemary, see you soon!!!
Buen camino
Debra

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Dear Phillypilgrim:
I see from your posts that you are planning on beginning your walk on September 1st from SJPP. And although I didn't see specifically that you are looking for a companion to set out with, I was wondering if you might be interested in a companion in the beginning stages. I am from Ohio and have been planning my trip since last September. I have all my equipment believe I am well prepared. Would enjoy hearing back from you.

Hi HolleySue. I will PM you! Pam

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back