Search 59,165 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Starting Point?

Past OR future Camino
CF: '06: SJPP -> San. '10 - '11: Pamplona -> Finisterre '12: Ponferrada -> San. CN: '12: Irun -> San
Hi
Just wondering if anyone has a preference on starting point for El Camino (del Norte)? Is there any real difference (other than a few KMs) between starting in Hendaya or Irun? I just want to make sure I get to do the "alpinista" (sp?) route. This is, if I'm not mistaken, after Irun... right? I'd love to hear your opinions for your chosen starting point and why! Thank you!

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
The most selling Camino Guide is shipping November 1st. Get your today and start planning.

Canuck

Veteran wanderer
Past OR future Camino
?
Hola El Nadador,

No difference between the two cities. They are sitting on each side of the river, seperated only by the Santiago bridge.
I started in Hendaye because it was the end of the line for the train from Bordeaux and wanted to cross the bridge into Irun.
Either one is good, depending on your travel arrangements.

You'll get to the ''Alpinista'', walking along the ridge, some three or four km after Irun at the Santuario de Nuestra Sra. de Guadalupe. Follow the markings, watch your steps and enjoy the view!

Cheers,
Jean-Marc

Past OR future Camino
CF: '06: SJPP -> San. '10 - '11: Pamplona -> Finisterre '12: Ponferrada -> San. CN: '12: Irun -> San
Hello Jean-Marc
Thank you for the info! After all the reading I've been doing I kinda assumed there wasn't much of a difference! Also, after checking train times (SNCF.FR) it seems that Hendaye is the end of the line, so this seems like a logical place for most pelegrinos.
Thanks again!
ENDS

Canuck said:
Hola El Nadador,

No difference between the two cities. They are sitting on each side of the river, seperated only by the Santiago bridge.
I started in Hendaye because it was the end of the line for the train from Bordeaux and wanted to cross the bridge into Irun.
Either one is good, depending on your travel arrangements.

You'll get to the ''Alpinista'', walking along the ridge, some three or four km after Irun at the Santuario de Nuestra Sra. de Guadalupe. Follow the markings, watch your steps and enjoy the view!

Cheers,
Jean-Marc

jl

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Frances('05, '07), Aragonese ('05), del Norte / Primitivo ('09), Via Tolosana (Toulouse '05), Via Podiensis (Le Puy '07), Via Lemovicensis (Troyes '09), VF ('12), Winter Camino ('13/'14) Cammino d'Assisi ('14) Jakobseweg (Leipzig - Paris '15) San Salvador/Norte ('15) Ignaciano ('16) Invierno ('16)
Hi, when I did the del Norte I actually came down from Bayonne and styed overnight in Irun at the albergue, but had to return to Hendaye to go to the post office. As it turned out this was a really long hike, and I decided I would walk right down to the beach. From there I caught a ferry across to Hondarribia, explored that town, and then walked on up to the Santuario de Nuestra Sra. de Guadalupe. That is another option to consider. cheers, Janet

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 102 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads