• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stay over in Bayonne / Biarritz?

Jane Erasmus

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances ('14)
Portuguese ('17)
Ingles ('17)
Muxia/Finisterre ( 14 & '17 & '18)
Del Norte ('18)
I will be arriving in Bayonne /Biarritz airport at 3:50pm on 1 September 2014. Should I find accommodation in Bayonne or Biarritz or go to St Jean?
If I do go to SJPP, what sort of time would I arrive and how easily would I find accommodation?
Maybe I should pre-book somewhere?
Any suggestions?
Thank you
Jane

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Jane,

Welcome to the Forum!

The TER line 62 train which runs from Bayonne to SJPdP timetable for July 6 and later is NOT yet available . However there should be a train about 18.06/arriving 19.31/Monday thru Saturday. Here is the current ligne 62 TER timetable for trains from Bayonne to SJPdP until July 5, 2014

Check what I wrote about types of accommodation in SJPdP earlier today in this post.

You might take an airport bus to Bayonne and next morning an early train to SJPdP. The Monte Carlo in Bayonne is a good inexpensive simple hotel choice and it faces the train station.

Bon Voyage and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Early September is still in the "peak" tourist season in Biarritz and can be expensive. That being said it is the most wonderful place in the world and worth visiting, if you have the time. Otherwise book a place in Bayonne, if you can, or catch a train to SJPdP. I'm not trying to be cheeky, it's just because I love my adopted hometown, that's all.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Bayonne is a very pleasant and nice city, with its own "jacquaire" tradition. Apparently, for good or for bad, the usual guides have not realised that you can start to walk there. It is in my plans....someday, someday.

Jane,

Welcome to the Forum!

The TER line 62 train which runs from Bayonne to SJPdP timetable for July 6 and later is NOT yet available . However there should be a train about 18.06/arriving 19.31/Monday thru Saturday. Here is the current ligne 62 TER timetable for trains from Bayonne to SJPdP until July 5, 2014

Check what I wrote about types of accommodation in SJPdP earlier today in this post.

You might take an airport bus to Bayonne and next morning an early train to SJPdP. The Monte Carlo in Bayonne is a good inexpensive simple hotel choice and it faces the train station.

Margaret Meredith
Margaret,

Taxi from Bayonne to SJPDP is about $150 euro, share with up to 5 others, cheap.
Pilgrim office in SJPDP is open to 10:30 at night, I would head there and book ahead if you can, pleanty of ALbergues, & Hotels, not expensive,

Buen Camino

Andy

Bayonne is a very pleasant and nice city, with its own "jacquaire" tradition. Apparently, for good or for bad, the usual guides have not realised that you can start to walk there. It is in my plans....someday, someday.
You can start on the Camino Norte in Biarritz as well and there is always the option of walking to Hendaye, taking a left and head south on the GR 10 which crosses the CF east of SJPdP.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Margaret,

Taxi from Bayonne to SJPDP is about $150 euro, share with up to 5 others, cheap.
Pilgrim office in SJPDP is open to 10:30 at night, I would head there and book ahead if you can, pleanty of ALbergues, & Hotels, not expensive,

Buen Camino

Andy

Thanks for your post Andy! Mine was to help current pilgrims. I won't be going again until late autumn; I always take the train, visit the les Amis, and stay in the municipal albergue with Mme Jeannine. Can't wait!

Buen Camino,

MM

Early September is still in the "peak" tourist season in Biarritz and can be expensive. That being said it is the most wonderful place in the world and worth visiting, if you have the time. Otherwise book a place in Bayonne, if you can, or catch a train to SJPdP. I'm not trying to be cheeky, it's just because I love my adopted hometown, that's all.
Biarritz? Wouldn't miss it for quids.
I'm a great Biarritz fan.
It's relaxing, with good ocean swimming, great coastal walks.
Wayfarer has put me onto his recommended accommodation.
Le Petit Hotel.
Bit of a splurge on my budget.
But Biarritz is worth it.
Regds
Gerard

Last edited:
If you get the chance, stay long enough time to visit the cathedral in Bayonne --- it is extraordinarily beautiful.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If the train from Bayonne to SJPdP isn't running by Sept 14th, I might be willing to share a cab with a few other people who are trying to get there at the same time. I'll be arriving in Bayonne on the late afternoon train.

Jane,

Welcome to the Forum!

Margaret Meredith

Thank you Margaret,
As I will have flown from South Africa to Paris and then to Bayonne/Biarritz I was thinking that I would book into the Monte Carlo as you suggested and get a good nights sleep and then go on to SJPdP the next morning. (2nd Sept) That way I will also have the day in St Jean and then begin my Camino the next day.(3rd Sept)
This is all very exciting, but a bit daunting at the same time and I think I would rather do things slowly and step by step rather than 'rushing' to SJPdP all on the same day. Or...if I did go to SJPdP that same day, could I stay somewhere in St Jean and still spend the day there and only begin my walk on the 3rd? Any advice would be most welcome (and gratefully received) :)
Jane

If the train from Bayonne to SJPdP isn't running by Sept 14th, I might be willing to share a cab with a few other people who are trying to get there at the same time. I'll be arriving in Bayonne on the late afternoon train.
Hi JanetEllen
I will be arriving on the 1 Sept so think I will stay over in Bayonne and then make my way to SJPdP the next day. Are you arriving on the 14 Sept?
Jane

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes. Staying over is an option. I'll just see how in feel at the time I guess. I'll have a reservation at Orission on the 15th. It will be an easy day either way.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back