• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Staying in Madrid

Time of past OR future Camino
12/23
For those traveling to Madrid, I recommend Cats Hostel. It’s in the heart of downtown Madrid, along with dozens of other hostels. There is a younger crowd but everyone seems respectful and are fairly quiet.
Cats is very well maintained and there isn’t a feline to be found. It is very clean and I found the beds comfortable. Irene (night shift) is a wonderful front desk worker. Her recommendation for supper was excellent (cafe Volcano), which I can attest to. I wanted authentic Spanish food. It was quaint, reasonably priced and the staff were attentive.
Buen Camino

Attachments

• IMG_1614.jpeg
    IMG_1614.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2,448
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I stayed at Hostel Persal. Price was great, it's in a square which has everything you need, restaurants, supermercado, some nice shops for getting last minute presents for grandkids, walking distance to Plaza Major and the people were also very attentive. Room was nice, clean, air-conditioned and staff got me a taxi super early to the airport without problems. I was happy and would stay there again.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
No cats at The Cat
and I saw no hats at The Hat…
not sure what to think about that.
You should have looked ‘IN’ the hat to find the cat.

Seriously though - I’ve stayed at many places in Madrid .(including hostal persal ) . Also once at The Hat. It was a good option (very central ) if you want people about and they do have a good rooftop bar .. However at start and end of my camino, I prefer to settle into a private room / especially after a long haul flight to or from Oz.
Last time (end october this yr) it was difficult to find a room at any I’ve stayed at before - even by contacting /ringing them directly (ie not through booking dot com).

A friend recommended I try Hostal Guerra . You can’t get anything more central to Sol. & reasonably priced too.
Almost beside the Apple Store .. so easy to find. 24 hr desk . I’d stay there again if they have availability.

You should have looked ‘IN’ the hat to find the cat.

Seriously though - I’ve stayed at many places in Madrid .(including hostal persal ) . Also once at The Hat. It was a good option (very central ) if you want people about and they do have a good rooftop bar .. However at start and end of my camino, I prefer to settle into a private room / especially after a long haul flight to or from Oz.
Last time (end october this yr) it was difficult to find a room at any I’ve stayed at before - even by contacting /ringing them directly (ie not through booking dot com).

A friend recommended I try Hostal Guerra . You can’t get anything more central to Sol. & reasonably priced too.
Almost beside the Apple Store .. so easy to find. 24 hr desk . I’d stay there again if they have availability.
Ah, Sol. Stand up breakfast at La Mallorquina. Lunch at Mercado de San Miguel. How I love Madrid! 👏🚶‍♂️

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ok Hostel Madrid. Very clean and a great staff. Great breakfast. In the La Latina section, easy walk to Plaza Mayor and Sol. They have a baggage storage room. I usually fly into Madrid, check a small suitcase on the airplane with my trekking pole, umbrella, folding knife and a few "town clothes." Also some easily replaceable Camino gear so my backpack is a smaller and lighter carry on than when I am walking. I leave the suitcase at OK Hostel and train to and from my Camino. Buen Camino

Ok Hostel Madrid. Very clean and a great staff. Great breakfast. In the La Latina section, easy walk to Plaza Mayor and Sol. They have a baggage storage room. I usually fly into Madrid, check a small suitcase on the airplane with my trekking pole, umbrella, folding knife and a few "town clothes." Also some easily replaceable Camino gear so my backpack is a smaller and lighter carry on than when I am walking. I leave the suitcase at OK Hostel and train to and from my Camino. Buen Camino
thats sounds like a great option. At the end of a Camino, if I fly out of Madrid, I like to stay near Atocha and enjoyed Hotel Sancho. It is walking distance (for a pilgrim for sure) from Atocha, but also near Parque de El Retiro, (one of my favorite parks to walk through) on the way to Madrid Centre. Easy access back to Atocha to connect with the airport.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A very recent Spain Revealed YouTube video gives an overview of where to stay in Madrid. They walk down some of the streets to give you a feel for the neighborhoods.

Here's a transcript of the video's start that explains what they are showing.

So, deciding where to stay in Madrid can be a real challenge. Look, we get it. This is a big city and each neighborhood has its own personality, its own vibe. So in this video, we're going to show you our eight favorite areas to stay in Madrid. For each, we're going to give you an overview of the area's vibe, safety, public transport, nearby sites, plus some cool places to eat and explore. Plus, we've asked our audience over in the Spain Revealed Facebook group which some of their favorite hotels are in Madrid. Below in the description, you'll find links to those hotels, plus some of our favorites with options for all budgets.

Click on the text to get YouTube and its features or on the arrow for an embedded view.

YouTube video id: rFFbW7JpySI

Last edited:
Madrid delights at every turn. It has never felt like a big city to me. I was there in September and October this year to visit old friends (we're all old now). I normally stay at the Hotel Europa which is smack on the Puerta del Sol directly across from the old post office and its famous clock. At midnight on New Year's Eve, as the clock strikes midnight, 12 grapes are eaten for good luck. I experienced this in 1970 and have been coming back to Madrid (and elsewhere in Spain) for over 50 years. The restaurant mentioned by TiedyeAT (if it is the same one I go to), La Fragua de Vulcano, is located, coincidentally, at # 9 Calle Alvarez Gato. It is less than 25 meters from the Plaza Santa Ana and the Cervezeria Alelmana which Ernest Hemingway frequented in the 1930s. There is a photo of him on the wall near the window. Don Ernesto, as he was known, lives on. For those on the Forum from the Pacific Northwest, one of my old friends is Stephen Drake-Jones, who was Rick Steves' (travel guru) man in Madrid. Steven has lived in Madrid since 1975. We celebrated at Lucio's restaurant the publication of his most recent book, Drake-Jones' Madrid. I am shamelessly promoting it here as it is a wonderful romp through places known and not so well known in Madrid.

I stayed there this past June as recommended by some on this forum. Yes, it was a nice walk to Plaza Mayor and Sol. The baggage storage was nice as I got there a few hours before check-in. Also very important to me was the nice short walk to Atocha Station the next morning to catch the airport bus.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've stayed here too! Enjoyed the area! But skipped the breakfast in the hostel for breakfast at bakery down the street.

For those traveling to Madrid, I recommend Cats Hostel. It’s in the heart of downtown Madrid, along with dozens of other hostels. There is a younger crowd but everyone seems respectful and are fairly quiet.
Cats is very well maintained and there isn’t a feline to be found. It is very clean and I found the beds comfortable. Irene (night shift) is a wonderful front desk worker. Her recommendation for supper was excellent (cafe Volcano), which I can attest to. I wanted authentic Spanish food. It was quaint, reasonably priced and the staff were attentive.
Buen Camino
I have heard its very noisy, mind you I have never stayed but that's out there.

Madrid delights at every turn. It has never felt like a big city to me. I was there in September and October this year to visit old friends (we're all old now). I normally stay at the Hotel Europa which is smack on the Puerta del Sol directly across from the old post office and its famous clock. At midnight on New Year's Eve, as the clock strikes midnight, 12 grapes are eaten for good luck. I experienced this in 1970 and have been coming back to Madrid (and elsewhere in Spain) for over 50 years. The restaurant mentioned by TiedyeAT (if it is the same one I go to), La Fragua de Vulcano, is located, coincidentally, at # 9 Calle Alvarez Gato. It is less than 25 meters from the Plaza Santa Ana and the Cervezeria Alelmana which Ernest Hemingway frequented in the 1930s. There is a photo of him on the wall near the window. Don Ernesto, as he was known, lives on. For those on the Forum from the Pacific Northwest, one of my old friends is Stephen Drake-Jones, who was Rick Steves' (travel guru) man in Madrid. Steven has lived in Madrid since 1975. We celebrated at Lucio's restaurant the publication of his most recent book, Drake-Jones' Madrid. I am shamelessly promoting it here as it is a wonderful romp through places known and not so well known in Madrid.
I’ve ordered a copy and look forward to reading it. Whilst Rick Steves isn’t to everyone’s taste, I’ve rarely been disappointed by one of his unashamedly mid-market recommendations

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I ❤️ Madrid. When I go there, haven't been there often, three times, I stay at: Hostal Alfaro. In the middle of the centre, really good price and very clean.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The book arrived in good order, and hand dedicated - which was a nice touch.

I know ‘tourist Madrid’ very well; but I’d say a good half of this book was new to me, well written and well worth the purchase price. Recommended.

I would stay in the hostal victoria 1 if staying in the centre
Clean presentable and friendly staff stayed a couple of times before

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would stay in the hostal victoria 1 if staying in the centre
Clean presentable and friendly staff stayed a couple of times before
There seems to be a few good Hostal located in central Madrid. I think i'am going to book at the ok Hostal for 3 nights at the end of June which is on a weekend. Stayed there last June on a Saturday night for one night, it was very nice with a super friendly staff.

€83,-
I have a long haul flight home from Madrid at 10pm and I'm taking a train out of Santiago around 10am, thus reaching Madrid around 1pm+

Any idea if its weird to check into one of these hostels to rest for a few hours before heading to the airport? I have a day to explore Madrid before I'll start my camino thus I'll prefer to have somewhere to put down my backpack and freshen up before the long flight home. For all it's worth, I'm willing to pay the full price of a overnight stay if these hostels allow me to check in for a few hours.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back