• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Steep passes on camino frances sjpd to logrono (fear of heights)

batty

Time of past OR future Camino
may or september 2024
i have major fear of steep ,very narrow paths that are unstable and difficult to pass on very high area. I am going to attempt to do the camino next year. I would really appreciate any precise areas anyone can tell me about that i should avoid. I also have 2 bad knees. any advice or clarity would be appreciated

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I can't think of any steep, narrow paths at all on the Camino. I mean, it's steep and muddy going down into Roncesvalles, but you can take the road to the right and it is a very nice walk and easier. The Camino is a trek, not a mountain climb. I think you'll be fine. I have a blog post that shows the terrain if you're interested. Let me find it:
Camino Terrain Blog

I also have a free planning group on FB if you're interested:
Facebook Planning Group

I can't think of any steep, narrow paths at all on the Camino. I mean, it's steep and muddy going down into Roncesvalles, but you can take the road to the right and it is a very nice walk and easier. The Camino is a trek, not a mountain climb. I think you'll be fine. I have a blog post that shows the terrain if you're interested. Let me find it:
Camino Terrain Blog

I also have a free planning group on FB if you're interested:
Facebook Planning Group
thank you so much yes to both

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
batty,

Do check out this earlier thread re
the descent into Zubiri for earlier relevant posts.

I would NOT follow the camino path any further beyond the Puerto de Erro for it becomes hell. After one ghastly descent in 2004 for the next 9 CFs I always walked down the N135 road verges to Zubiri.

In dry weather I would follow the camino to Puerto de Erro where a food truck is often parked. From there walk on the verges of the N135. In rain or snow I would only follow the N135 from Roncesvalles and not the path.

batty,

Do check out this earlier thread re
the descent into Zubiri for earlier relevant posts.

I would NOT follow the camino path any further beyond the Puerto de Erro for it becomes hell. After one ghastly descent in 2004 for the next 9 CFs I always walked down the N135 road verges to Zubiri.

In dry weather I would follow the camino to Puerto de Erro where a food truck is often parked. From there walk on the verges of the N135. In rain or snow I would only follow the N135 from Roncesvalles and not the path.
I do agree about the descent into Zubiri. I usually have my folks taxi from Viskarret lately because of the deep ruts, especiallly if it's raining. It's not so steep or narrow, but rains have washed deep ruts into the trail and it can be slippery and a good place to twist an ankle.

As Anniesantiago noted above scree is dangerous.

Another place to twist an ankle or worse is west of Pamplona when desceding the Alto de Perdon. That slow descent on slippery scree was always tedious and very difficult especially in bad weather. Be sure to read what others have posted about this spot.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I answered your quesrtion on the Descend to Zubiri thread that mspath is mentioning
Good luck & Buen Camino

i have major fear of steep ,very narrow paths that are unstable and difficult to pass on very high area. I am going to attempt to do the camino next year. I would really appreciate any precise areas anyone can tell me about that i should avoid. I also have 2 bad knees. any advice or clarity would be appreciated
Read this thread about the day after Pamplona, going down from Alto del Perdon, as well as difficult places before Pamplona :

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There is nothing you could fall off of on the CF (apart from the wagon maybe - no vino no Camino). Knee unfriendly terrain there is, but with the advice you receive here should not be a Camino stopping problem.

I know you mean this in a playful way, but it is of course always possible to walk a Camino without having to drink alcohol.

I know you mean this in a playful way, but it is of course always possible to walk a Camino without having to drink alcohol.
Yes, totally correct @SabsP . My sense of humour can be an acquired taste but is never meant to offend or be taken seriously.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have the same huge fear and it’s quite extreme! I have only ever met one person with the same level of fear in this regard as me! I don’t remember any issue at all on the CF. I also have very bad knees not again no issues. I remember Ribadeo Bridge on the Norte like it was yesterday but CF was fine for me.*

Of course it may be slippery in some places and you could turn an ankle but that doesn’t relate to my fear at all (not that I want it to happen)!

*I will add the caveat that no two peoples fear in this regard are the same. I did a small low level hike with the lady that was equally fearful. One part really scared her, but didn’t worry me at all and one scared me and didn’t worry her!

If you want to check out the suspect parts yourself from the comfort of home, with no chance of falling while checking, a couple of people have made complete videos of the whole route with their GoPros and uploaded them to YouTube. You can see for yourself how narrow/treacherous/steep it seems and make your own call, since the responses here seem to vary.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I also have some sensitivity to heights but no problems on the CF. However I walked into Portomarin with a woman who found the bridge into the town difficult to cross and asked if she could hold onto me. The water level was very low so the bridge seemed much higher than when the dam is fuller. But the bridge is a paved road with a separate, fully-fenced pedestrian path along each side that makes it very safe. Our fears are all different - mine was more of falling on the difficult terrain on steep descents (into Zubiri, descending Alto del Perdon and descending from Monjardin to Molinaseca) BUT none of these present the possibility of falling vertically from a height - more of twisted ankles, or broken bones from slips and slides and trips. I was very slow on each of these and received many offers of help from passing pilgrims but escaped unscathed.
Buen Camino

i have major fear of steep ,very narrow paths that are unstable and difficult to pass on very high area.

When I was preparing for my first Camino Frances walk by watching videos in YouTube, I paid attention to trail surface, elevation, etc. Some videos showed some trails looked like near "cliffs", which was not my "cup of tea".

When I actually walked CF, the conditions were not that scary and easily navigate.

Many people who express having a 'fear or heights' actually have a fear of 'falling', not heights. One can stand on a high, flat surface on a mountain and not have the anxiety that standing close to a cliff/railing on the edge of that mountain. I can't recall any edge hugging steep paths that would create that fear on any of the Camino routes ( aside from Italy, Via de San Francisco ). Some of the issues that would create that unstable/fear of falling are more on the bridges with grids, narrow rock walls on cow paths that have to be navigated when the dirt is muck, sometimes slippery steps or deeply rutted paths with poor lighting. Maybe , take a few minutes to consider if the fear you are mentioning is heights or falling and pose another question?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In the forest on the Valcarlos route there were some narrow paths, but not steep. So maybe just walk the Napoleon way the first day.

You’ll be fine. I am also afraid of heights. There are places that have magnificent views, but no scary heights. Enjoy!

I do not recall any steep, precipitous drop-offs. There are tall hills. There are paths that come within a meter or two of the edge. But, more often than not, the slope is steep in a few places. But, the slope is more gradual in most places. You are never in danger of "falling off a mountain."

The only place where this was once possible, IIRC, was the climb from Pamplona to Alto de Perdon. But that was only the final 100 meters or so. In 2014, they installed a cable safety barrier to prevent anyone from accidentally having an accident. You literally have to go out of your way to circumvent this protective barrier.

Hope this helps,

Tom

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Numerous YouTube videos showcase the entire length of the France route in a time-lapse format. The provided link directs you to the first episode, spanning from Saint-Jean to Roncesvalles, condensed to just 11 minutes. Buen Camino!!!

Link to the video:

I walked the the Camino French Way in 2022 with a very sore knee that has since be replaced. I say to everyone, get a good set of hiking sticks and always use them, even on the flat sections. They a a great "clutch" and have saved me from all sorts of falls.

I also have some sensitivity to heights but no problems on the CF. However I walked into Portomarin with a woman who found the bridge into the town difficult to cross and asked if she could hold onto me. The water level was very low so the bridge seemed much higher than when the dam is fuller.
LORD - that bridge gave me one helluva vertigo!!! I just stared straight ahead and walked as fast as i could (much as I did want to take some photos)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi @batty , I don't know if maintaining your balance on stepping stones across water would also be an issue for you. If so, you could have a look at this earlier thread where I posted pictures of a place between Roncesvalles and Zubiri (post #6) which hopefully can put your mind at ease as you could just walk around it.
If you only walk to Logroño, you won't come to the second place I mentioned in that post.
Have a wonderful camino!

I have an intense, debilitating fear of falling (from heights) and didn’t feel at risk any time on the CF. There are narrow, rubbly, difficult to negotiate spots as noted above, though none of them are coupled with steep cliffs or drop offs. As anyone should, just approach with due care and take your time. I found my walking poles useful in these places. Buen Camino!

Numerous YouTube videos showcase the entire length of the France route in a time-lapse format. The provided link directs you to the first episode, spanning from Saint-Jean to Roncesvalles, condensed to just 11 minutes. Buen Camino!!!

Link to the video:
I watched something similar to this prior to my first Camino in 2022, it really helped to allay my fears - great suggestion.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There is nothing you could fall off of on the CF (apart from the wagon maybe - no vino no Camino). Knee unfriendly terrain there is, but with the advice you receive here should not be a Camino stopping problem.
Try some knee braces, the pull-on type you find on E-bay. Not perfect but they assist. I have very bad knees, and multiple replacements , but they are the best knee braces I have found and I intend to use a pair when I finish the CF in March/April.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
At no point on the Francès will you ever be on a narrow trail on a cliff edge -- the closest to such a thing is on certain points in the passages over the Napoleon route, O Cebreiro, and Cruz de Ferro heights ; but the trails there are on some steep pastures, not tottering over precipices.

Like some others, I don't much like the high bridge at Portomarín -- but the past couple of times, the water was so low I could use the old bridge instead.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back