• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sticks n Stones

Gary May

Time of past OR future Camino
My first Camino begins on 16th July 2017
Advance warning - bit of a weird post :confused:

As I'm travelling light with just a small 25 ltr rucksack - I will be taking as hand luggage (have used this bag many times and it fits within the bag checkers and overhead lockers fine) this however means I cant take my telescopic walking poles.....as airlines still think us hikers are a deranged bunch who will go crazy mid flight and beat a stewardess with the pole!

So I'm aiming to find myself a "natural" pole to accompany me on my journey. Ideally I would find something in JPDP and before tackling the Pyrennees! Are there any areas where one might find a tree has shed itself some branches to aid weary travellers? I've seen some of the souvenir poles to purchase.....but would rather save the money as I'm a tight git. Plus I like to find a natural support when I walk.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That's exactly what I'm doing: mailing my walking pole to the place I'm staying at on the first night before I start my Camino. All I had to do was email them my arrival date and contact info and it will be waiting for me when I arrive. Better than having to deal with airport security.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I've seen a lot of wooden poles abandoned in albergues. You could just ask around in SJPP.

But for the fact that you state you are a "tight git" I would recommend a pair of Black Diamond FLZ hiking poles. They collapse to 16" long, and will fit IN your itty bitty daypack.

If you remove the tungsten bits and replace them with rubber tips, your "walking assistive devices" should pass security. It is my understanding that it is the hard pointy tips on most hiking poles that render them a "weapon."

Note, you can carry the pointy hard points in a pocket like loose change, and reinstall them on arrival.

Hence it follows logically that if you "neuter" the poles before being packed, they are walking sticks, not pointy edged hiking poles...that can be used for stabbing someone.

But, alas, they are very expensive as they are carbon fiber, not aluminum.

Life is like that...

I hope this helps.

Or find some hazel bushes on the way - I'm sure you will buy a good opinel knife when you get there - as you can't take them on the plane either...!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.