• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino STOLEN BACKPACK 16.7.2016

Anja22

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting Camino primitivo on 7th of June 2016
Hi!
Posting this message probably doesn't make any sense, but I'm quite desperate right now. After more than a month of walking I arrived to Santiago today. Around noon I forgot my backpack in the lobby of seminario next to the cathedral, when I realised I forgot it I went to search for it and it wasn't here anymore.
So if anyone that's in Santiago at the moment notices a BLUE JACK WOLFSKIN 36l BACKPACK WITH SILVER MAT ON THE SIDE please let me know or take it to the police station.

Thank you for any kind of help

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Oh dear. Keep the calm the Camino has given you. Look on the bright side - you got to Santiago! On a more practical note though. What would you do if you found one? Did you leave contact details in it? Maybe call on Ivar for advice and help? He could maybe know if it is appropriate or worthwhile to notify the police or anyone else. Maybe notify the Pilgrim's Office in case someone thinks of that? I wish you well and hope you recover it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi!
Posting this message probably doesn't make any sense, but I'm quite desperate right now. After more than a month of walking I arrived to Santiago today. Around noon I forgot my backpack in the lobby of seminario next to the cathedral, when I realised I forgot it I went to search for it and it wasn't here anymore.
So if anyone that's in Santiago at the moment notices a BLUE JACK WOLFSKIN 36l BACKPACK WITH SILVER MAT ON THE SIDE please let me know or take it to the police station.

Thank you for any kind of help
Hi Anja, inJune I had the same problem, I left it where the receptionist told me to live it (just at the far end of the counter) and when I went to pick it up with horror I realised it wasn't there any more, I asked the porter which is there to keep an eye on the luggages and together we searched around, in the end we found it in the little room at the back of the reception.Wile we were looking for it and not find it, the young man that is there making sure that nobody touches them, suggested that it could have been by mistake transported to another hostel or albergue. So could be that your backpack as not been stolen but only taken and transported by mistake. I would ask where they moved the to last lot of backpack.
I don't know if this will help you, I really hope you will be able to find it.

Anja22, Am sorry to hear of the loss of your backpack. My backpack is special to me, because its traveled with me so much. Am sure you feel a certain attachment to yours as well. I wish you the best of luck in finding it and if you do, offer a prayer of thanksgiving. Buen Camino :), Caesar

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you for all advice and kind words. I'm gonna get over it soon I think. Anyway I still have a little hope someon's going to find my pack lying somewhere. Since I didn't have anything the theifs are looking for in it they probably serched through it and throw it away somewhere. I mean why would they want my credential, thick camino diary, stinky clothes and a bunch of other items. And that's actually the most upsetting thing - if it doesn't get found it's gonna end up in trash (I talked to the men who were emptying trash cans around town and they said they will look for it).
Anyway I know that the memories and friendships I made and the lessons I learned on Camino can't ever be stolen from me and that matters way more than a bunch of material things.

Al the optimist
Well my credential was in there, so I think there must be some kind of contact there - I can't remember if I wrote phone number or email in it. Well I know for next time.
I went to police station to make a report - it's worth a try I guess

SYates
Went to the Pilgrim's house as you suggested and they were a great help. What an amazing place and people!

Ernesto.IT
I searched in all the rooms and couldn't find it the thing is that I didn't ask them to keep an eye on it or anything I just forgot it close to the entrance door-at the beginning of corridor. Well but if that is the case - that they transported it they will realise sooner or later and return it.

And just to warn everybody. Things like that obviously happen a lot in Santiago. When I was at the police station another guy came and reported that his backpack was stolen from the restaurant while they were having lunch.
Then someone else told me that his pack was cut and his wallet, phone, camera and 3 credentials (not to mention he was the most upset about the credentials since he walked more than 4 thousand kms to Santiago) were stolen out a few days ago while they were taking photos in front of the cathedral.

So dear fellow pilgrims, be carefu!

Sorry things have not worked out yet Anja. Thanks for starting this thread. Maybe your posting your experience will help others avoid the same. We become so trustful after our time in the small villages that we forget what city life can entail. I hope that after our Caminos we can all retain that willingness to trust in others with a degree of sensible caution. Wish I was there to help and would have been if I had not had to stop.

Am so sorry to read this Anja22. And your tale of other folk losing their possesions. All I can say is that when I was in Santiago in March I saw lots of rucksacks and sleeping bags at the side of buildings with no-one near so obviously it was safe then. Presume other factors come into play during the height if the tourist season. Please though don't think that happens often . I found the residents of Santiago, as well as those I met on the way, to be kind and generous and welcoming

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
A good reminder to insure that you put an email address on your credential.
If found, another pilgrim is very likely to email you and you can be reunited.
Much better than an international phone call.

I have found several credentials over the years and no good way to contact the owners. ....very sad as you know how special it is to the pilgrim.

Your email on everything is a very good idea....too late after it is gone.

There is no dismissing the significance of mourning losses like these!

This experience also calls to mind how Buddhist monks will put in many of hours of hard work creating an elaborate, beautiful and once-in-a-lifetime sand mandala. Once they are finished celebrating the wondrous art created, they will ceremoniously destroy the sand mandala to also call to attention the impermanence of it all and remind us of the importance of practicing non-attachment.

I am surprised to read that your backpack was stolen. I have stayed many times at the seminario, always at busy times, but never noticed such unfortunate situation. What I did notice, is that very often backpacks are lined up beyond the reception, either to be stored at the back for arrivals or taken to transport when groups were leaving.
It's easy to confuse backpacks and it may take days before somebody notices a left over.
What had the receptionists to comment/suggest? I wouldn't be surprised when your backpack turns up sooner or later.;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back