• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Struggling with 1/2 size larger - Lone Peaks - insole recs?

Marie74

Time of past OR future Camino
April - May 2024
Hi al! My Camino Frances is planned for April-May this year. Last summer, I wore (and loved) Altra Lone Peaks in a women's size 11. This fall, to start preparing for the camino, I went up a 1/2 size as recommended by so many. I can see how with 2 pairs of socks (injini and darn tough) the 1/2 size is helpful. However, the 11/5 just fits differently...it hits the ball of my foot in a weird spot.

I'm not sure what to do. Try a new shoe for these next couple of months? Or keep the 11.5 Lone Peaks and try an insole to make the bed of the shoe a bit more comfortable? If an insole would help, which brand would fit the wide toe box?

Thanks!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Myself, I found the Lone Peak footbeds seemed to change from year to year. After several years in a 4.0 size 11, I upgraded to a 5.0 size 12 which simply didn't work. Went to a Hokka Speedgoat instead which was perfect for the CF. In all cases, Superfeet Green insoles were almost the same as my custom orthotics.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I agree that the Altra footbeds have changed, at least in the Lone Peaks. But I stick with them and love them. I’ve found that by having several different pairs of socks of different thickness I’m able to adjust things while walking - thinner sock when my feet seem to expand in hotter weather, etc.

I have always worn a men’s Lone Peak, it has always just felt better, so you might try that.

And I agree with @davejsy, if you’ve been comfortable in the 11s, with one pair of socks, I see no need to change. I know some people wear two pairs of socks, but I have always found that to be way too hot when walking long stages.

Feet do grow larger during/after a Camino. Had to go up a shoe size after my first go-around. Try inserts, they dote d to help fill up a shoe. However, I recommend buying a quality one. The cheap Chinese insoles are junk, in my experience. With only a size 11, you can buy one size longer and cut them down to make a custom fit, if necessary.

I wore the superfeet purple (hiking) insoles in my Lone Peaks. One pair smartwool running socks. No blisters for 420 km (but it was spring, not summer)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As @Lurch says, your feet will swell on Camino. If you've already got a finger width between your toes and the end of your shoes you'll probably be okay. If not, you really do need to size up. Whilst the socks will make a difference, the biggest issues are (as you may or may not be aware) 1/ your feet swelling and 2/ your toes stubbing against the front of the shoe going downhill. If that happens you're going to lose your toenails.

Not recommended, it's painful.

@peregrina2000 's tip on the men's shoes is a good one, as are the couple of insole recommendations above. I too have different insoles in my Lone Peaks, although mine are custom orthotics.

You may need a different pair of insoles. When I had knee issues some years ago, a PT measured my foot and although I wear as size 6 1/2 shoe (37 Italian), they recommended purchasing Supefeet insoles (the green ones) in size 8 and cutting them down to the size of the shoe. This worked much better for my high arches. Doing something like this might help the larger shoe feel like the size you normally wear.

Hi al! My Camino Frances is planned for April-May this year. Last summer, I wore (and loved) Altra Lone Peaks in a women's size 11. This fall, to start preparing for the camino, I went up a 1/2 size as recommended by so many. I can see how with 2 pairs of socks (injini and darn tough) the 1/2 size is helpful. However, the 11/5 just fits differently...it hits the ball of my foot in a weird spot.

I'm not sure what to do. Try a new shoe for these next couple of months? Or keep the 11.5 Lone Peaks and try an insole to make the bed of the shoe a bit more comfortable? If an insole would help, which brand would fit the wide toe box?

Thanks!
I would give Topo's persuit a try. This comes from only wearing Altra for a decade. Altra has changed hands and is not the same since. Topo is the same style of shoe with wide toe box just better built better priced.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Altra has changed hands and is not the same since.

I had heard that Altra had been bought out by North Face, but it is a bit more complicated than that. From Wikipedia:

Since 2018 Altra is owned by VF Corporation, an American global apparel and footwear company with other brands like Icebreaker, The North Face, Vans, JanSport, Eastpak and Timberland.

I continue to love the Altra Lone Peaks, but would be interested to hear your opinions on what is no longer the same.

Thanks!
Try InStryde insoles. They are amazing!

Thanks!
1) Unfortunately, it's typical for Altra to change their shoe shapes each year. If you did fine with, say, Lone Peak 7s, and now you're trying out Lone Peak 8's...it's possible you have to just go back and look for Lone Peak 7's in size 11.5. That might involve going onto Ebay to search.
2) Try out Topo Pursuits. The sole on the Pursuits is MUCH BETTER than the Lone Peak's. And Topo's won't fall apart like Lone Peaks do.
3) The insole I've used for all of my thru hikes is made in Portland Oregon by Fitthotics. At this point I've had several pairs and they've never fallen apart on me after thousands of miles. They work fine with Altra "Original Shape" shoes. I always tell him what brand shoe the insoles are going to be used in.
4) Sometimes people who have "ball of the foot" pain may need a Metatarsal Pad. I learned about this several years ago from a podiatrist in Portland. I've worn metatarsal pads for years now. It does take a little bit of knowledge on how to place them. Only I attach them UNDERNEATH my insoles.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Thanks!
In my experience the 1/2 size larger advice is more applicable to hot weather. During your Camino the weather will not be hot.

As for insoles, I highly recommend you look into InStrydes. Go to getinstryde.com
Don’t waste money on expensive custom insoles from a podiatrist. And IMO generic insoles like Super Feet provide minimal help (and can even be detrimental).

I don't know what to say about the size--seems to me if what you wore on multi-day hikes, or varied terrain has worked, it should work on the Camino too. I do wear a larger Altra than my regular shoes. I used to wear the Men's because I thought it would be wider and fit better around my bunions, but have more recently gone to the Women's and found them wide enough. I found that the men's was also longer and I felt like I was more often tripping over my own feet! Regarding insoles--when I had plantar fascittus, I had custom-made orthotics. After that was resolved, I moved (per podiatrists' suggestion) to an OTC insole by Powerstep. And because I wanted some extra padding, I usually also wear a flat, no-arch, closed cell insole by Spenco. Insoles, etc. definitely take extra space! Good luck on your upcoming Camino walk!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Thanks!
I used a pair of lone peak 6’s last September for the start of podiensis. I installed a cheap pharmacy foam insole just to provide a bit of extra cushion for the anticipated rocky terrain. It worked wonderful. The lone peak footbed tends to be quite sensitive to the terrain you’re walking. The insole helped. Bon chemin.

I heard over and over on various forums that Camino shoes should be at least 1/2 size larger. That concerned me a bit because shoes that are too large will make for awkward walking and the slippage may result in blisters on the soles of my feet.

I bought a new pair of Merrills for my Camino. The pair I was replacing were made with GoreTex and I was concerned about them getting hot. I bought them at REI, had professionals measure and fit the shoe and I went with my original size. I did not go up a 1/2 size. I wore Smartwool Zero cushion runners socks which are quite thin. My feet were fine. They did not increase noticeably in size as I walked. I had one minor blister.

Thanks!
I used lone peak ultra last year and loved it. Came home and bought 2 pairs just incase they change the shoe. Also used the ninja socks. Never had a sore pot or blister. I tested on size: what was biggest size I can do without my heel riding up and down.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Since 2018 Altra is owned by VF Corporation, an American global apparel and footwear company with other brands like Icebreaker, The North Face, Vans, JanSport, Eastpak and Timberland.
Hmm, I have read reports of the quality of Icebreaker products slipping in the last few years.

I heard over and over on various forums that Camino shoes should be at least 1/2 size larger. That concerned me a bit because shoes that are too large will make for awkward walking and the slippage may result in blisters on the soles of my feet.
I think that depends a lot on how your everyday shoes normally fit. If you regularly buy shoes that have about a cm/half inch space past your longest toe then you should be fine. If your toes touch the end of your every day shoes then you would definitely want to size up. And the main concern is feet spreading out, so buying shoes a bit wider than normal, or with a wide toe box like Altras and Topos should be enough.
I solve the entire problem by wearing open toes hiking sandals. 😊

I wore Altra Lone Peaks for my CF in 2021. I got them 1/2 size larger and they were too big. My feet moved around in them too much. Stick with what's working for you now. Having said that I would recommend insoles. I used Superfeet but you have to find what fits your foot shape.
After the 500 miles my shoes were thrashed, no rips but no tread or support. I don't weigh a lot.
For my Le Puy Camino in 2023 I used Topo's, same wide toe box and gripping sole but much more support. They're my regular hiking shoe now.

Thanks!
I recently bought altra provision 7 and there was a bump in the sole in the same place you described. I returned them for credit, no problem. Been using altra for many years and this is the first pair with a defect. If possible, send them back for refund and try anoher pair.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Thanks!
I feel for you. Finding the right combination of shoes, socks, and insoles is a long and somewhat expensive process with trial and error. I started about 12 years ago and am still experimenting and tweaking my footwear.

l always size up on my shoes. I measure a men's 10 but wear an 11 wide (Merrell Moab 3). I tried sizing down to a 10.5 last year and regretted it. I had to cut a planned 200 mile hike short at 160 miles due to horrible blisters. I'm back up to a size 11 and all is good once again.

Sizing up can create a loose shoe problem. What I do is put two layers of Dr. Scholes Airpillow inserts under the insole that comes with the shoe. That helps to fill the extra space and provides extra cushioning. More recently, I pulled out the Merrell insole because I found that the new upgraded (Moab 3) insole tends to throw off the positioning of my custom orthotics, which led to a flare up of my plantar fasciitis. Now the custom insert lies flat on top of two layers of Airpillow inserts.

It's a constant game of trial and error, but I think this combination will get my through my next Camino in May 2024.

Lots of people say your feet WILL swell. Well, mine don’t. This is a very personal thing. If I went up half a size my shoes would be too big, they would then slop around and give me blisters. Do what works for YOU.

I also used Superfeet (Berry) in two Altra LP caminos (5+ years ago). I did buy the .5 size bigger, with the superfeet I found them quite comfy. Definitely allowing a bit of room for swelling /spreading is beneficial. My walking partner started having rubbing/blister issues with her Hokas 3+ weeks into walking (possibly /probably) because she didn’t upsize. If your normal size gives your toes room, they’ll probably work for you.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
You might want to try a different approach to getting the fit right if you do choose to look for a new shoe. If you can get to a good outdoor store, here is a link to what I would advise about that.

Everyone talks about sizing up in the numerical size, but it is most often extra width that is needed to accommodate any swelling. I suspect that many people should be wearing wider shoes but don't, perhaps for two reasons: (1) manufacturers have not bothered to make them available (especially to women), and (2) small feet seem daintier.

Even if the shoe width seems fine for normal use, walking 20 km for several consecutive days will irritate any foot that isn't used to it, and what was nice snugness will become too tight on a stressed foot.

Sizing up to a longer shoe can change the inflection points, as several people have noted, as well as allowing the foot to slip forward leaving a gap in the heel. Getting a wider shoe gives the wiggle room to the toes, but you can lace snugly to keep the foot in the right place in the shoe. There is also an element of "getting used to" a larger fit - especially for women who wear dress shoes that need to be tight or they would fall off!

I am pleased that manufacturers seem to be making more wide shoes available to women now, and specialty running stores tend to carry them.

Thanks!
Altra recommends ‘a thumbs width’ of room in front of your longest toe. Do you have that?

In my Altras (currently Olympus 5), I go up 1.5 to two sizes to allow good arch support inner soles since Altras don’t have arch support.

Width? Just look at the inner soles size charts and buy the size suitable for your shoes. I’ve never had a pair not fit (usually you have to trim them to size).

To check size, pull the inner sole out of your shoe and lay the one you’re thinking of buying on top.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Everyone talks about sizing up in the numerical size
I think that, for a long time, whenever this has been raised, people have been encouraged to get their footwear properly fitted, preferably at an outdoors store with a fitting slope. More, if you want to get the best results from this, there are things you can do like go later in the day, walk to the store, take any orthotics and the socks you will be using, etc. The link I provided earlier, here, goes through the sequence I use if I am getting new footwear.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.