• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suggestions for a very lightweight tent?

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Enjoying the camino since 2009
Hi, I am planning my next long walk, the St Olav's Way in Norway, and will need a (very) lightweight tent for summer which doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I live in the UK and will buy it here. If you can help me with a concrete suggestion (make and model, pros and cons) I hope I'll be able to find a good deal or even get one second hand, as I have more time than money :)

We are both tall people (not a couple) who will share it with two large packs, so a spacious 2 man or even 3 man tent would be perfect, and if it has a large flap and some height so we can sit inside and look at the view, that would be a great bonus. If you know about or own one that works - from a pop-up festival tent to a hi-tech one - I would be very grateful for your opinions!

Thanks,
Linda

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Linda

I am very interested in the ZPacks 2 man tents they are a bit pricey but not over the top. Check them out at ZPacks.com

Cheers
Lana

ps. there are many threads on here about this same topic if you check on other pages

I can recommend Terra Nova tents. We have a Superlite model, which is ok for two (plumpish!) people who are married! But you may want a slightly bigger model. The good points are: extremely light - ours is 1lb, extremely strong, we camped in storms, once on a clifftop and actually got dressed ready because we expected the tent to get ripped apart it was that wild! But it did not get damaged at all. Ours has a 'triangular' porch each side, so we can have panniers etc one side, the dog sleeping the other (yes, he can cycle!) and we can easily get out for a call of nature in the night. I would never have a tent without an access each - you WILL fall out! It also comes in green, so is ideal for wilod camping. It cost Ā£300 but we got Ā£80 off for giving them our old tent. It was more than we wanted to pay - but I am now glad we did.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
http://www.tarptent.com/

I found this site from this forum, and bought one for biking the Great Divide route in the US. They are really light, and roomy. Not as bombproof as some brand name tents, but way lighter, and some will pitch with hiking poles. Their prices are pretty good too.

We got a three person model (rainshadow 2) because they are so light---1.2 kg.

Attachments

• tarptent.JPG
    tarptent.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 920
Thanks for your suggestions! I did look for threads about tents, but they seemed to mainly discuss whether or not it was necessary on the Frances. I will have a look at the different models, and please add your own suggestion to the list if you have one you like!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have looked at the TarpTents, and they seem to mainly be available in the US, which would be a problem, other than that they look great! The Terra Nova ones are available but a bit steep ... If anyone has any suggestions or experience with good, lightweight tents easily available in the UK, please let me know. At the moment I am looking at Vaude tents ... any opinions on them?

Thanks, I am hoping to get to a shop to look at them soon. In the course of doing research my friend and I have decided to buy separate tents, 1/2 man ultralight ones, to have more freedom in where and when we rest for the day. Most of the so called 2 man tents would never have been big enough anyway, but I am looking at some very light tents around the one kilo mark. Suggestions and comments are still welcome!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you use treking poles, here's a 0.53 kg shelter

http://www.tarptent.com/sublite.html

They are easy to work with and I'm sure would ship to the UK. It is in stock according to the website.

If that looks like it fits your needs and they won't ship, send me a PM, and I can send it on.

Those Tarptents are getting more and more tempting. They seem to have more height in them too, but wouldn't condensation be a problem when it's just a single sheet? I'm sure they'll ship internationally.

I've had a few single wall tents, going back to the primordial tent I used in Norway and Sweden in 1973. The key to avoiding condensation is ventilation. Don't close it up tight unless you really need to.

The model of Tarptent we have is well ventilated, and we have not had a condensation problem, but we have frozen a few times! (Note to self: don't expect a single wall tent to be warm in the desert nights in March!)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Haha, well, yes, we are taking lots of wool to hopefully keep us warm even on the mountain in Norway - and it will be so-called summer, so fingers crossed. I really like the Squall and the StratoSpire, looks like you can sit around inside the tent and look at the view. Most single and 2-man tents are so low I would have to do the draped-over-a-chaise-longue thing draped over the backpack, I think.

I have looked at the TarpTents, and they seem to mainly be available in the US, which would be a problem, other than that they look great! The Terra Nova ones are available but a bit steep ... If anyone has any suggestions or experience with good, lightweight tents easily available in the UK, please let me know. At the moment I am looking at Vaude tents ... any opinions on them?
Hi I too am walking the Camino next may and am looking for a cheap pop up tent please let me know if you have any luck thanx
Buen Camino

You might consider a Gatewood Cape from Six Moon Designs. It's dual use, i.e. poncho and tent. Here's a Youtube video showing use and setup.

Buen Camino.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Try this site www.alpkit.com/ they sell tarps, i bought a bivvy bag from them, it was very good quality and cheaper than if you bought a similar item from a shop.

Mike

"Lightweight", "2 0r 3 man", "2 tall people and packs" are phrases that don't go well together. Would love to know what you come up with. I have a Nemo Obi 1 Elite, super light, very small (I'm 5'4") and I travel alone. These are expensive but I got a good deal on it.

Look at the Double Rainbow tent from tarptent.com

That looks fantastic!

My guy and I currently carry a Eureka Zeus 2 - good solid 2-person (2 people who are a couple, anyway) backpackers tent, around 4 lbs, single-wall, single entry. It was under $200, but it is no longer made, and I can't seem to find its equivalent in Eureka's current selection. But Eureka is a good, lower-cost option to look at - quality tents.

But that tarptent Double Rainbow looks like the perfect replacement - a couple pounds lighter, 2 entries/vestibules, better ventilation...... but still free-standing, which I prefer. And I can't believe how relatively "cheap" it is, at under $300.
http://www.tarptent.com/double-rainbow.html

We're headed to the AT Katahdin/100 mile wilderness summer 2014, and the Camino Norte spring 2015 (and will carry a tent). Glad to find an affordable tent to lighten our kit a bit.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi I too am walking the Camino next may and am looking for a cheap pop up tent please let me know if you have any luck thanx
Buen Camino

Decathlon sells those, but be aware that pop up tents are rather big when packed together and you will, most likely, have it hanging on the back of your backpack, SY

I know what you mean about the size when folded, though there is a dome pop up tent on eBay and it's less than Ā£20. When this folds its sausage shape. Was thinking this might be a good option?

I too am walking the Camino next may. I too live in the UK. Have a look on eBay for pop up dome tents. There is one that is less than Ā£20. Is light and when folded goes into a sausage shape. Have a look and let me know what you recon on them.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Many things go into the selection, like you one of my first is length being 6'3" (190 cm). But you can start by reading about UL tents selection with these two posts: http://sectionhiker.com/how-to-choose-an-ultralight-tent-or-shelter-part-1/
http://sectionhiker.com/how-to-choose-an-ultralight-tent-or-shelter-part-2/

Once you narrow down your choices hunt around on youtube to find post on the tents showing how to set them up and personal reviews. Last remember that if there are two of you, you each carry 1/2 the mass, so going to a 3 pound (1.5 kg) tent may not be the way to go, think about a larger 4 to 6 pound tent that is split between the two of you. You can also get a larger tent that comes with aluminum poles and replace the aluminum with carbon fiber ones,

Hi I'll be walking alone, though I hope to find a willing companion (preferably female) for safety reasons. Also I'm 5ft 1" so space shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'm a very tight budget hence the pop up tent for economy reasons as I'm on a budget of Ā£52 per week. I'd like to hear all opinions on any advice and if you think this is doable? My eldest kids are booking my ticket out there as an Xmas present. My boots are being given as a gift. I really really can't wait now. It's just backpack tent and other essentials that I have to buy. Though with the help of others this too is being made possible. I really can't wait now. I really need to get away for personal reasons. It's the 2nd good that's happened to me since 23rd of December 2011.
If you look on eBay you may find the tent I mean, it's a 2 person pop up dome tent sold for less than Ā£20 from UK. If you can look and find it and tell me if you think it may be suitable I'd so so appreciate it.
Also any advice greatly welcome.
God bless, peace and love
Buen Camino :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Nidarosa- have you looked at the MSR Hubba Hubba? It's roomy even for two and the weight split across two people is very low.

Hi I'll be walking alone, though I hope to find a willing companion (preferably female) for safety reasons. Also I'm 5ft 1" so space shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'm a very tight budget hence the pop up tent for economy reasons as I'm on a budget of Ā£52 per week. I'd like to hear all opinions on any advice and if you think this is doable? My eldest kids are booking my ticket out there as an Xmas present. My boots are being given as a gift. I really really can't wait now. It's just backpack tent and other essentials that I have to buy. Though with the help of others this too is being made possible. I really can't wait now. I really need to get away for personal reasons. It's the 2nd good that's happened to me since 23rd of December 2011.
If you look on eBay you may find the tent I mean, it's a 2 person pop up dome tent sold for less than Ā£20 from UK. If you can look and find it and tell me if you think it may be suitable I'd so so appreciate it.

I'm concerned about the weight, but just as a importantly in this case, the packed size of a pop-up tent - they are big discs when unassembled - very awkward.
I wouldn't be too confident of the durability of a pop-up for wild camping in a different spot every night either. These are essentially "festival" tents.

Can you give more info about your upcoming Camino?
Camino Frances, right?
When are you going?
For how long?
Are you planning to camp every night (for budget reasons?) or just occasionally if refugios are full?

Can you post a link to the eBay page of the tent you are watching?

I walked the San Salvador in August with a tarp tent from DD Hammocks: http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/ddtarp_coyote_brown_3x3

Well, when I say tarp tent it is literally a 3m x 3m tarpaulin with eyelets and hanging loops stitched in. It is extremely flexible, you can pitch it on trekking poles, suspend it from trees or fence posts, etc. If you look on You Tube there are tons of different pitches for different conditions. I used the second version in this video:

There is tons of room for two people and bags in this pitch.

I only used it once as the albergues on the Salvador were so good (I was expecting typical mountain hut type) but it was nice and sturdy. Condensation wasn't too much of a problem as I had plenty of ventilation, there was a little moisture on the inside but not much. I carried one of those insulated picnic blanket thingies, fleece on one side, tarp on the other. I used that for sleeping on, kept me warm and kept any damp from the ground out.

It wouldn't be my first choice for hiking in the wet like in the UK but was a nice, light shelter for Spanish conditions.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just be careful,some of the Chinese made,so called 2.person tents are anything but,one person has to stretch out diagonaly across the tent,which either makes things very uncomfortable,or very friendly..............I have a X Rocket one person ,it has an insect screen liner & at around 1 kilo works for me...............:)...........Vicrev

Ā£52 per week=ā‚¬61.45, Honestly, it would be difficult with a weekly budget of ā‚¬61.45, that averages out to ā‚¬8.77 per day, food in Spain is inexpensive compared to the rest of the EU, even if you camped out every night and shop at supermercados, you still need to be prepared for other unexpected expenses that arise, and you need lots of calories to walk long distances each day, sorry, a few baguettes won't cut it, find a way to raise more money.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
I met a girl in Figeac & her budget was 5 euros a day ,been on the track for 3 months,all donovito Gites ,said she was managing O.K........I don't know how she did it..........:)........Vicrev

I walked the San Salvador in August with a tarp tent from DD Hammocks: http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/ddtarp_coyote_brown_3x3

Well, when I say tarp tent it is literally a 3m x 3m tarpaulin with eyelets and hanging loops stitched in. It is extremely flexible, you can pitch it on trekking poles, suspend it from trees or fence posts, etc. If you look on You Tube there are tons of different pitches for different conditions. I used the second version in this video:

There is tons of room for two people and bags in this pitch.

I only used it once as the albergues on the Salvador were so good (I was expecting typical mountain hut type) but it was nice and sturdy. Condensation wasn't too much of a problem as I had plenty of ventilation, there was a little moisture on the inside but not much. I carried one of those insulated picnic blanket thingies, fleece on one side, tarp on the other. I used that for sleeping on, kept me warm and kept any damp from the ground out.

It wouldn't be my first choice for hiking in the wet like in the UK but was a nice, light shelter for Spanish conditions.

Great YouTube link Stuart, thank you. I am looking at my tarps in a whole new light. Weather conditions in northern Spain can be very similar to Irish and I'm sure UK conditions so I would be slow to use this method on the CF.

At 5 foot one there are a lot of options that Don't break a budget. Take a look at Six Moon design Solo Luna and others by Six Moon. The single person tent are all under 3 pounds with some under 2. You will need tracking poles or have to buy carbon fiber ones but with some tents under 200 and one listed right now at 150 they should be a good option. Just make sure that you have the seams sealed or do that yourself.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I met a girl in Figeac & her budget was 5 euros a day ,been on the track for 3 months,all donovito Gites ,said she was managing O.K........I don't know how she did it..........:)........Vicrev
that's the kind of thing I want to hear! Where there's a will there's a way. Thanx for your reply it's given me much encouragement ;) Angie

I'm concerned about the weight, but just as a importantly in this case, the packed size of a pop-up tent - they are big discs when unassembled - very awkward.
I wouldn't be too confident of the durability of a pop-up for wild camping in a different spot every night either. These are essentially "festival" tents.

Can you give more info about your upcoming Camino?
Camino Frances, right?
When are you going?
For how long?
Are you planning to camp every night (for budget reasons?) or just occasionally if refugios are full?

Can you post a link to the eBay page of the tent you are watching?
Hi thanx for your reply its the Camino Frances I will be walking from SJPP. Your exactly right about the pop up tents about them being bulkey. The one on eBay is listed as a pop up dome tent though when you read the small print it says "not a pop up tent" I've looked on gumtree and have seen a couple of second hand tents for sale. I'm hoping to camp out mainly to save money. Though the comfort of a shower every couple of days. I will be walking end of May 2014.
If you have any more advice I'd be very grateful ;) Angie

At 5 foot one there are a lot of options that Don't break a budget. Take a look at Six Moon design Solo Luna and others by Six Moon. The single person tent are all under 3 pounds with some under 2. You will need tracking poles or have to buy carbon fiber ones but with some tents under 200 and one listed right now at 150 they should be a good option. Just make sure that you have the seams sealed or do that yourself.
Hi thanx for your reply. There's noway I can afford 150 on a tent. I'm looking on preloved and gumtree to see if I can pick one up cheap as I'd rather buy a half decent 2nd hand one than a cheap made in China one that will likely fall appart after a week.
Thanx again Angie ;)

Hi thanx for your reply. There's noway I can afford 150 on a tent. I'm looking on preloved and gumtree to see if I can pick one up cheap as I'd rather buy a half decent 2nd hand one than a cheap made in China one that will likely fall appart after a week.
Thanx again Angie ;)
It seems like economy is most important in your consideration of a tent. There is a challenge in trading off between economy, comfort, durability, weight, ease of set up, rain resistance, etc. When I first started backpacking many years ago, economy was high on my list of concerns also. I satisfied my requirement for shelter by purchasing a tube tent for under $5. I spent three nights in the mountains at 11,000 feet with temperatures below freezing. There was still snow on the ground, but I was quite comfortable. While the tube tent served my needs, the secret to my comfort was a good sleeping bag and pad. Whatever your choose, be sure to spend some days prior to your trip setting up and staying in your camp . It's better to find out a tent leaks, a sleeping bag is too cold, or camp set up is too difficult well before you're irreparably committed. Good luck, buen camino and keep us informed on your progress.

Good advise,Espero.........Just to add a bit to the tent part,buy a bottle of tent seam sealer & paint the seams ,every new tent I have bought,has always leaked through the seams,didn't make any difference where it was made,still leaked............:)........Vicrev

It seems like economy is most important in your consideration of a tent. There is a challenge in trading off between economy, comfort, durability, weight, ease of set up, rain resistance, etc. When I first started backpacking many years ago, economy was high on my list of concerns also. I satisfied my requirement for shelter by purchasing a tube tent for under $5. I spent three nights in the mountains at 11,000 feet with temperatures below freezing. There was still snow on the ground, but I was quite comfortable. While the tube tent served my needs, the secret to my comfort was a good sleeping bag and pad. Whatever your choose, be sure to spend some days prior to your trip setting up and staying in your camp . It's better to find out a tent leaks, a sleeping bag is too cold, or camp set up is too difficult well before you're irreparably committed. Good luck, buen camino and keep us informed on your progress.
hi and thanx so much for your advice, my friend popped in to see me and has told me he has a tent I can loan. I'm hoping its light enough for me.
I'm not off till May so I've plenty of time to look on UK sites like gumtree that give away unwanted items. As after loosing my husband I get 52Ā£ a week so I really can't afford to buy. Another member told me that there was a girl on the Camino managing on 5ā‚¬ a night and she seemed to be doing really well. Where there's a will there's a way I'm totally so looking forward to my Camino now just to get away to try and get my head together again. There's no better place to be for that.
Thanx again for your reply any more advice would be so welcome. Angie :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesnā€™t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Hello beautiful community; Iā€™m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) Iā€™ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Hereā€™s my final packing list (excluding basic...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.