• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suggestions where to stay in Ferrol?

marji

Time of past OR future Camino
yes
Hola,
Is there an albergue de Peregrine in Ferrol?
I would like to stay the night before I walk, ¨the way¨ the following morning.
If not, where do you suggest I stay that is clean and good for a peregrino...I leave soon!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We stayed at the Pension Zahara, not far from the information centre. Good room and also good food at a reasonable price. We checked in then walked to the harbour and followed the Camino signs from the harbour back up to roundabout near the pension, which saved us nearly 3kms next day.

It might take you 3 hours to walk to albergue which is on route at Neda, 11km from Ferrol. Perhaps you don't have time to do that. Last time I arrived in Ferrol at 5pm and had time to view the harbour and get sello at tourist office.
This time around I arrive in Ferrol at 8pm so I intend to stay for B&B in 2* PR Magallanes, Carretera de Castilla, 401, booked via booking.com (although I believe they take 15% commission from owner!)
Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
helpful..thanks...yes, there is the option of walking to Neda (I arrive at Ferrol in the morning) where there is an albergue por peregrine (but alas, not at Ferrol nor A Coruna?!). I am hoping the Way is well marked......

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The beloved and I start from Ferrol on 11/12 September and are currently planning to walk to Neda.
Hotel el Suizo has been recommended in other threads but we have no experience so can't comment.

Mundicamino lists an Albergue de Peregrinos at Covas about 9k from Ferrol rather than Neda's 11k

Last edited:
Ti
The beloved and I start from Ferrol on 11/12 September and are currently planning to walk to Neda.
Hotel el Suizo has been recommended in other threads but we have no experience so can't comment.

Mundicamino lists an Albergue de Peregrinos at Covas about 9k from Ferrol rather than Neda's 11k
The albergue at Covas is not on the Camino Inglés from Ferrol but is NW of the town, so you would be starting there and adding 9kms to the Camino. If you want to stay at Neda it is a comfortable days walk. An alternative is the Hotel Kensington in Narón, just before the bridge to Neda.

If you don't already have Johnnie's guide (link in a post above) then it is well worth downloading it.
Also the Gronze site is better for showing the route outline, including Covas.
http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/camino-ingles/albergues.htm
Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you arrive in Ferrol in the morning, you will have plenty of time to sight-see and then walk to Neda and stay in the albergue there. It would be a very light day of walking. Your next day walk to Pontedeume would also be a very nice day's walk and allow you plenty of time to hang out at the beach and have a few beers and a Paella if you are so inclined.
The downloadable guide as mentioned previously is well worth getting. It is the "gold standard" guide to the Camino Ingles.

Hotel Suizo in Ferrol suited us this September perfectly. Easy walk into town for Mass at 7pm and a meal after. The breakfast was the best we had during our Camino and we could buy water for the day from reception. The man we dealt with on arrival and the next morning was delightful, helpful and gave us a good send off.

Humm ... Eating Paella in Ferrol can be like a lottery.

In Ferrol area, the most trustworthy dish is, in my opinion, "Almejas a la marinera" . Clam dishes in Ferrolterra are usually good and not expensive.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
All comments duly noted. I also have Johnnie Walker's guide.
Just a fortnight to go ....... :D
Please order some sunshine for me, after this English cloud!
Buen camino!

All comments duly noted. I also have Johnnie Walker's guide.
Just a fortnight to go ....... :D
Please order some sunshine for me, after this English cloud!
Buen camino!

We're right on your tail Stephen polish the shells as you pass them by, slowly live each moment. Buen camino. :)

I walked from Covas in early Apr and apart from a morning of slow rain leaving Ferrol on the second day, the weather was fine and sunny all the way to SDC.

@JohnnieWalker's CSJ guide was generally very good, as was the way marking. The principle way marks are concrete posts and tile markers. These are augmented at key points with painted arrows. Just remember that every opportunity is taken to keep pilgrims off the roads, so it is always worthwhile checking for way-marks or arrows as you approach each intersection when on the roads.

There is a alternative option coming into Fene that caused me some confusion. It occurs when you reach the area of the Cafeteria Vilar do Colar (p. 38 in the CSJ guide). Where the CSJ guide says 'To follow the camino, though, do not walk towards the Cafeteria, but instead, turn sharp Left across the road following yellow marks on the pavement ...'. At this point there is now an option to cross the road and go to the right and almost immediately at the roundabout veer left and walk along the road going a little west of south through the industrial estate. This avoids about 300m or so of road (N-651?). The alternative appears to rejoin the old route just before a short forest section and crossing the motorway, still on p. 38 of the CSJ guide.

Regards,

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked from Covas in early Apr and apart from a morning of slow rain leaving Ferrol on the second day, the weather was fine and sunny all the way to SDC.

@JohnnieWalker's CSJ guide was generally very good, as was the way marking. The principle way marks are concrete posts and tile markers. These are augmented at key points with painted arrows. Just remember that every opportunity is taken to keep pilgrims off the roads, so it is always worthwhile checking for way-marks or arrows as you approach each intersection when on the roads.

There is a alternative option coming into Fene that caused me some confusion. It occurs when you reach the area of the Cafeteria Vilar do Colar (p. 38 in the CSJ guide). Where the CSJ guide says 'To follow the camino, though, do not walk towards the Cafeteria, but instead, turn sharp Left across the road following yellow marks on the pavement ...'. At this point there is now an option to cross the road and go to the right and almost immediately at the roundabout veer left and walk along the road going a little west of south through the industrial estate. This avoids about 300m or so of road (N-651?). The alternative appears to rejoin the old route just before a short forest section and crossing the motorway, still on p. 38 of the CSJ guide.

Regards,
Thank you for the guidance dougfitz i have made a note of it to add to johnnie's guide much appreciated.

We stayed in Hotel Suizo and can recommend it.

Great rooms with en suite. Cash machine outside and supermarket facing it.

It's close to Camino Ingles start and central to cafés/shops. They will also stamp your passport.

Breakfast is continental style and very good.

Ti

The albergue at Covas is not on the Camino Inglés from Ferrol but is NW of the town, so you would be starting there and adding 9kms to the Camino. If you want to stay at Neda it is a comfortable days walk. An alternative is the Hotel Kensington in Narón, just before the bridge to Neda.

If you don't already have Johnnie's guide (link in a post above) then it is well worth downloading it.
Also the Gronze site is better for showing the route outline, including Covas.
http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/camino-ingles/albergues.htm
Buen Camino
Hi Tia Valeria, I see your link to the Gronze site, can it be translated into english ?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Tia Valeria, I see your link to the Gronze site, can it be translated into english ?
I don't think that Gronze has an English page. It isn't really needed for the basic outline information and the Spanish is fairly general rather than a detailed guide. If you do want to read it then you could paste and copy into a translator fairly easily. We can read the Spanish and use it for extra with Johnnie's guide as our main source.

Hi Wendy, if you open Gronze in google chrome you can translate it into English (click on this option at the top of the page).
Thank you Nuela, I will do that.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back