• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Summer 2012: Le Puy or del Norte?

er325

I have booked my tickets to Madrid from the US, I will be gone for 6 weeks, but I am still having trouble deciding which Camino to do. At this point I am planning on doing del Norte, but have been reading more about the Le Puy route and feel drawn to that too. Here is what is appealing about Le Puy:
1) More civilized accommodations
2) Seems like it will be more calm (Norte will not be as crowded as Frances but with the beach towns the vibe will be different)
3) Challenging terrain
4) Beautiful scenery

I will be doing the last 100 km into Santiago at the end as my mother is flying in for that. Everything I read says "I don't prefer one over the other (Le Puy over Frances)" but the descriptions of the Le Puy route are more appealing to me.

Any thoughts?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I recommend that you run, don't walk, to the door that says Le Puy. However, also know that I am very partial to southern France in every way. When the angels are needing a vacation they all go to there. I think you will find the scenry superior to any other place.

Though I was serious above, follow your heart. A pilgrimage is experienced first by the heart regardless of where the feet are leading us. You will have a great time on either route if you choose to have it so.

No more dithering, pick your chemin and off you go. Let us know how it goes; Bon Chemin.

Thank you for the words of encouragement.

I took a few weeks off of dreaming about my Camino (or will it be a Chemin? :)) to study for an exam and now that the stress is gone, I am dreaming about Le Puy again! I had all but talked myself into del Norte due to cost and my belief that it is not going to be as hot on Camino del Norte between June 24-July 27.

So I guess if anyone else has feedback for me, could you comment on how different the cost is on the Le Puy route versus Camino del Norte? And is it really hot on the Le Puy route in July? I'm starting medical school in August, so a couple extra hundred dollars for a nice vacation before I sell my soul to this profession is probably not a big deal in the long run. I think the scenery of the route would be nice, and maybe I will get some time off over the next four years to gradually complete the Spanish part...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you only have 6 weeks forget Le Puy as you will not reach Santiago to walk the last 10km with your mother.
We adored Le Puy but also found the Norte very enjoyable .
It will be less expensive and you will have more options with food.
There will also be a wider choice of walking companions if you wish.
Don't worry about the big towns on the water , they are actually very nice.
You have your life ahead mate , do both .
Buen Camino,
David

I actually was not intending to get to the last 100 km, I was going to walk to SJPP and then take a bus or something to meet her! So that should not be a concern. And life can get in the way, I may never come back.

I have set aside 67 days, and am hoping to do both the Le Puy route and the Camino del Norte. However, that leaves a big question. How does a person get from the Le Puy route to the Camino del Norte. In fact, I'm still trying to figure out where the Camino del Norte begins--Irun?

How does one get there? One person suggested I take the GR 10 (a footpath) from St. Jeans, and that 3 days later I will be near Irun. Others have said I need to take a bus. Or is there some intersection on the Le Puy route where I take a turn to the west to get onto the Camino del Norte?

Thanks, Bill Walker

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You could also walk from St. Jean to Pamplona in 3 days and take the bus to Irun or san Sebastian in the evening.
Ranthr

[quoteHow does one get there?][/quote]You can take the train from St. Jean Pied de Port to Bayonne, and then either start walking to Irun or take the bus or train to Irun, then start walking. The Camino del Norte starts in Hendaye/Irun.

I think you are pushing it Bill with the 67 days.
There is some serious towns / cities to enjoy and we believe looking at our records over 75 days are required.
San Sebastian/Bilbao/Santander[surprised us] on Norte
Conques/Figeac/Cahors/ Moissac on le Puy.

The Le Puy route has some serious walking and rests will be required ,
You have selected 2 lovely ways,
Buen Camino Bill,
David

PS The food on the french side will slow you up mate, there is some serious dinners coming up.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bill Walker said:
I have set aside 67 days, and am hoping to do both the Le Puy route and the Camino del Norte. However, that leaves a big question. How does a person get from the Le Puy route to the Camino del Norte. In fact, I'm still trying to figure out where the Camino del Norte begins--Irun?

How does one get there? One person suggested I take the GR 10 (a footpath) from St. Jeans, and that 3 days later I will be near Irun. Others have said I need to take a bus. Or is there some intersection on the Le Puy route where I take a turn to the west to get onto the Camino del Norte?

Thanks, Bill Walker

I'm looking up the same route here. Anyone have any more advice about this??

Cheers,

Stedds

Lee Stanstead described his Le Puy to SJPdP, Irun to Santiago caminos this weekend in Baltimore. He and his wife took the train from SJPdP to Irun.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone! Well.. one week from today will begin my walk across France and Spain. I see a number of posts regarding a wave of walkers and room accommodation limitations. I am one who is...
Hi. Here's a problem to which I can't find a solution. Any suggestions gratefully received! Last October I walked from Le Puy to Conques, but had to return home due to a family crisis. I'm very...
hallo. We have been using La Malle Postale to transfer our luggage each night from Le Puy en Velay. We have bad backs. They have been a great company and very reliable. Unfortunately we have just...
Hi everyone, I’m currently on the GR 65 going from Le Luy to Conques. I walked this camino in 2014 and now I find myself not recognizing a single bit of literally anything and I’m wondering if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back