• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Summer CF - Sleeping Bag?

Bernadette43

Time of past OR future Camino
June-July 2024
We are walking CF middle of June, finishing in July. Do we need more than a sleeping bag LINER? We will have light layers (clothes) to put on in evening. If I have 2 liners each, will I need a sleeping bag for warmth? Thank you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
Bernadette, hundreds of people have asked variants of exactly the same question, as a quick search will show.

Basically, the answer is probably not, but :

1/ Do you normally sleep hot or cold
2/ are you comfortable sleeping in your clothes if you get cold?
3/ the weather.
4/ whether youā€™re in an Albergue that is always hot/cold.
5/ ventilation- whether the windows are open/closed, how large the room is, etc.

Now youā€™ll get multiple people responding with variants of the above. šŸ˜‰

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Thank you so much. Initially, based of reading other posts I came to the conclusion that the liner would suffice; especially with our warming layers. But now my second guessing everything is kicking in šŸ˜¬. I know accommodations will differ too, but most look like they offer basic linens. Iā€™m just nervous and donā€™t want to carry an expensive ultra-light sleeping bag ā€œjust incaseā€.

Againā€¦ just second guessing everything as I get closer!!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
Hey Bernadette. Easy to second guess ourselves as our Caminos get closer and closer. A very natural part of the preparation process.

@Peterexpatkiwi identifies the many parameters that determine sleeping comfort. More than likely, several can be applied to any given night on the Camino.

Eight years ago, and I walked primarily in May, I decided to take a lightweight, one-season sleeping bag. Now, was it expensive? Not sure. It cost around $100, but I have now been using it, on and off the Camino, for eight years, so it seems to me like a pretty good investment.

Because I would always err on the ā€œIā€™d rather be warmā€ side, carrying a 17 ounce sleeping bag seems like a good choice. Secondly, I ran into enough chilly or damp nights that the bag was a most welcomed companion at night. Conditioned varied greatly albergue to albergue. Some albergues offered blankets, others didnā€™t. Ventilation varied greatly from one place to another. As I had a designated set of sleeping clothes, I really didnā€™t want to add other layers just to stay warm.

In June, a liner might be adequate. However, Iā€™d like to have the option of smuggling into my mummy bag or sleeping on top of it. Regardless of your decision, itā€™ll work out fine for you and Iā€™m sure youā€™ll have a great Camino.

@Grousedoctor @Peterexpatkiwi - thank you.
Initially I went with the liner and https://www.thenorthface.com/en-us/...7/womens-circaloft-hoodie-pNF0A86Z9?color=SOV
the north face Circa-loft 1/2 zip. The jacket is so lightweight and will be for the plane, a pillow on the Camino, and if the temps dip at night- my warming layer. I think that will suffice in place of a bag??? A previous post in separate form recommended the rain poncho as a wrap over the liner. Since the liners are so small and thin, I can bring two in case I have to wash one in the event of a bedbug scare.šŸ˜¬

I appreciate the help!

Since the liners are so small and thin, I can bring two in case I have to wash one in the event of a bedbug scare.
You definitely don't need two liners!
They are so lightweight that they dry very fast when you wash them. However, for bed bugs you don't need to wash it at all. Half an hour in a hot dryer will kill bugs and their eggs. If you wash it first the wet liner won't reach bed bug killing temperature as quickly.
I recommend doing the heat treatment, then if you still want to wash it you can do so according to manufacturer directions.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hello beautiful community; Iā€™m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) Iā€™ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Hereā€™s my final packing list (excluding basic...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesnā€™t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.