• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Switching from Walking to Biking.

Zdonselar

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago
Hello,

I am currently walking the Camino de Santiago. I started in St Jean and am currently in Pamplona.

I have found that my feet are not holding up as well as I had hoped. I have had reconstructive surgery on each of my feet and am not able to recover fast enough each day.

I'm walking with my mother and father and would like to continue to travel with them. I was wondering how I could go about renting a bike and just biking the same route as they will be walking. ( or similar with same destination ) I will get there long before them but that will give me time to explore the town which is just fine!

I was just hoping anyone could help shed some light on how I can go about doing this! ( I am not new to mountain biking so the terrain should not be a problem!)

Thanks in advance for your help / insite!

-Zack Donselar

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Zack,

Here is one firm that advertises bikes for rent on the camino >> http://www.bikeiberia.com/rentals_rates.html. Be sure to check out the Forum topic on Biking the Camino to read the advice of other biker pilgrims >> biking-the-camino/

Now I am a walker but over fifty years ago biked from London to Rome in four months. What a trip that was!

Good luck, happy pedaling and Buen Camino to both you and your parents.

Margaret Meredith

PS You might want to consider buying a bike. One good medium priced spots store all over Europe is Decathlon. Their Pamplona location is Avenida Guipuzcoa s/n, 31013 Berriorzar,
tele (+34) 948 30 95 95. For their bikes see >>
http://www.decathlon.es/C-1020933-mtb_todos-los-modelos

Thanks for the reply!

I went ahead an emailed the company you linked, still waiting for a reply but that was exactly what I was looking for!

I am also looking at the option of purchasing a bike! I have a few days here in Pamplona so I will wait to hear back from the company and go from there!

I really appreciate the help!

Thanks!

Zack Donselar

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I understand your reasoning and think its a good idea which means its time for a story: My first Camino my first day sitting down for a rest at the chapel before going on down to Roncesvalles and a man my age on a bicycle stops for a chat-he's from Switzerland I'm from Jerusalem chat chat-then he asks me when I think I will arrive in Santiago-a month easy I reply since there are many sidetrips planed. And you? I ask him. Next weekend he says. Its not the same experience.

scruffy1 said:
I understand your reasoning and think its a good idea which means its time for a story: My first Camino my first day sitting down for a rest at the chapel before going on down to Roncesvalles and a man my age on a bicycle stops for a chat-he's from Switzerland I'm from Jerusalem chat chat-then he asks me when I think I will arrive in Santiago-a month easy I reply since there are many sidetrips planed. And you? I ask him. Next weekend he says. Its not the same experience.

I will still be taking 6 more weeks to complete the trip, I will be maintaining the same pace that my parents are walking at. The only reason I am wanting to swap to a bike is due to the surgeries I have had on my feet.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I biked the trail back in April. It is easy to over do it on a bike, which I did the first few days. You can miss much. When I decided to take one "stage" at a time it became very enjoyable. There will even be spots where walkers will pass you. Your legs may ache, but your feet should not give you any problems.

Re: Re: Switching from Walking to Biking.

PS You might want to consider buying a bike. One good medium priced spots store all over Europe is Decathlon. Their Pamplona location is Avenida Guipuzcoa s/n, 31013 Berriorzar,
tele (+34) 948 30 95 95. For their bikes see >>
http://www.decathlon.es/C-1020933-mtb_todos-los-modelos

Decathlon's bikes are actually very well regarded. The Triban road range regularly sells out here. Great bikes, carbon forks and decent Shimano gearsets for the same price as what the big names sell their budget bikes at. They get very good reviews and are well thought of.

I would have thought a six week rental would easy be similar to the cost of a Decathlon bike. In a university town like Santiago it would probably sell quick at the end of the trip too.

I was thinking of biking for my next Camino (Levante?) and after working out all the logistics I figured it may be best to buy a bike at Decathlon.

At the Camino del Norte Forum there is an old couple that bought this Rockrider for their Camino.

http://www.decathlon.es/bicicleta-mtb-r ... 02062.html

I can see why they got this bike. It's only cheap (just out of the supermarket bike category), but it has eyelets to fit a rear rack easily, especially the brazed on holes near the rear dropouts. Some of the more expensive bikes at Decathlon may have the eyelet but nothing near the dropouts.

At 129.95 Euro it is equivalent to renting a bike for a week. Of course you will need to add the necessary options. A rear rack, mudguard, a stand, 2 tubes and basic tools you are still looking at around 50 Euros more. The only decision for you is to see if you need a pair of panniers at around 60 Euros or if you can somehow secure your backpack to the limited space in the rear rack.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...
Hi all, We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm. We are aiming to arrive each day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back