• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"Tapas actually Spanish for 'not enough food' confirms Spain"

David Tallan

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
1989, 2016, 2018, 2023, 2024...

The Spanish government confirmed in a statement to the UN that: “We don’t eat food on tiny plates at home. We eat normal amounts of food on normal sized plates, like everybody else just with a bit more chorizo. Nobody has time for that much washing up.”

“The word ‘Tapas’ comes from the action of tapping on your plate to indicate that there is not enough food on it. As if to say ‘don’t be shy with the patatas bravas’ if you get my drift. Spain apologises for any confusion caused.”

😂😜😉

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Lots of theories out there. I like to think that I’m carrying on a royal tradition when I have a glass of wine and tapas. And that I’m doing it to improve my health.

The accepted legend about the birth of the tapas tradition is associated with King Alfonso X of Castile (1252-1284) was recovering from an illness and had to consume small amounts of food with wine to strengthen his constitution. The method proved successful and so pleasurable to the king that he henceforth proclaimed that alcohol could not be served without accompanying food. It was a prudent decision as the tabernae and inns in Spain at the time were notoriously full of drunken and swarthy sailors. Having the patrons eat while imbibing their refreshments ensured they didn’t get too drunk too quickly and reduced violent incidents on the streets.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm with Rick, but I understand it to have been a slice of chorizo rather than bread. In our local bar here in the Sierra de Aracena the tapas come in a lot of shapes and sizes....... croquetas, empanadillas, salchichon, chorizo picante, chistorros.... the list goes on.

Lots of theories out there. I like to think that I’m carrying on a royal tradition when I have a glass of wine and tapas. And that I’m doing it to improve my health.

The accepted legend about the birth of the tapas tradition is associated with King Alfonso X of Castile (1252-1284) was recovering from an illness and had to consume small amounts of food with wine to strengthen his constitution. The method proved successful and so pleasurable to the king that he henceforth proclaimed that alcohol could not be served without accompanying food. It was a prudent decision as the tabernae and inns in Spain at the time were notoriously full of drunken and swarthy sailors. Having the patrons eat while imbibing their refreshments ensured they didn’t get too drunk too quickly and reduced violent incidents on the streets.
I had heard that it was Charles III (also I, V, and VII depending on the kingdom) who was active in improving and professionalizing the Spanish navy, and who likely thought that sailors drank too much. But both stories are good-- Si non e vero, e ben trovato (Dante-- if it's not true, it should be).

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

The Spanish government confirmed in a statement to the UN that: “We don’t eat food on tiny plates at home. We eat normal amounts of food on normal sized plates, like everybody else just with a bit more chorizo. Nobody has time for that much washing up.”

“The word ‘Tapas’ comes from the action of tapping on your plate to indicate that there is not enough food on it. As if to say ‘don’t be shy with the patatas bravas’ if you get my drift. Spain apologises for any confusion caused.”

😂😜😉
I found tapas as a way to make small food expensive.

Often tapas were served complimentary with a drink I ordered; or I sometimes ordered two or three as my meal for €1.00-€1.50 and I felt full. I'm specifically remembering Logrono and San Sebastian on the Norte. They seemed quite inexpensive to me, but possibly things and prices have changed since I was last in Spain in 2019.

The Wikipedia article on tapas is short but interesting.

An excerpt:
The word "tapas" is derived from the Spanish verb tapar, "to cover", a cognate of the English top.[1]

In pre-19th-century Spain tapas were served by posadas, albergues or bodegas, offering meals and rooms for travellers. Since few innkeepers could write and few travellers read, inns offered their guests a sample of the dishes available, on a "tapa" (the word for pot cover in Spanish).[2]

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Wikipedia article on tapas is short but interesting.

An excerpt:
The word "tapas" is derived from the Spanish verb tapar, "to cover", a cognate of the English top.[1]

In pre-19th-century Spain tapas were served by posadas, albergues or bodegas, offering meals and rooms for travellers. Since few innkeepers could write and few travellers read, inns offered their guests a sample of the dishes available, on a "tapa" (the word for pot cover in Spanish).[2]
This explanation doesn't make as much sense as those that @peregrina2000 or @Rick of Rick and Peg mentioned - why would this only be something served in Spain, when literacy wasn't common in most of the world centuries ago?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have a horrible knack for picking out the cheapest tapas at first, and then when I order something else, it's three times the price I was expecting - because that tapas is extra special! :D Oh well, the joys of seeing new things! :D

That is certainly the case in North American cities where tapa prices can easily start at $7 or $8 (usually for the olives or boquerones supplied gratis in a Spanish bar) and head up into the $20 range. And we won't mention the $18 quarter-glass of middle-range Rioja.
A Look at Jose Andres’ Jaleo, DC Tapa Prices

FRITURAS

‘Frying is overrated… Yeah right!’

Croquetas de pollo

Traditional chicken fritters 13

Buñuelos de bacalao*

Fried cod and potato fritters with honey alioli 12

Dátiles con tocino ‘como hace

todo el mundo’

Fried bacon-wrapped dates served with an

apple-mustard sauce 12

Patatas bravas*

A Jaleo favorite: fried potatoes with

spicy tomato sauce and alioli 14

Chistorra envuelta en patata frita*

Slightly spicy chorizo wrapped in crispy potato with membrillo alioli 13

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We've had a couple of anniversary outings at two tapas places. The bill was a bit over $100 each time.

We've met with friends numerous times for a "traditional" Jewish Christmas Eve celebratory meal of dim sum, sort of Chinese tapas. Much more food at half the cost.

😂😜😉
Tapa in Castillano means cover or top . In Andalusia in a bar ( among others in Sevilla) they used to and still do , pour in a glass of wine and cover the glass with a small biscuit or someting like a cream cracker, chorizo , a slice of tomato or cucumber or other tasty variety with olives , herbs , batatas bravas , jamon Iberico etc. to go together with your wine. These small bites were much appreciated so they developped more varieties and offered them on a plate next to your (alcoholic) beverage. in the meantime there are thousands of so called tapas bars even in Santiago is one .
My favorite place for tapas is the Cava Baja street in Madrid where you hop in from one tapas bar to the other tapas restaurant, drinking wine with a favorite tapa, then going for the next place for another glass of wine and a tapa . That takes quite some time to get ( if you get there) to the end of the street,
Often done with collegues, from work, bachelor parties, friends a night out etc.
In lots of Spanish bars you order a plate of tapas and every tapa has a wooden pick sticked into it
once you are ready eating them and ask for the bill, they count the number of wooden picks on the plate so they know how many tapas you have eaten.
Prices differ from one to the other bar. If you order a plate with jamon Iberico, the sliced ham from the black foot pig ( pata negra) you easily pay 20 € for 8 or 10 slices.

During the time I worked in Spain I have never seen nor heard that people tap on their plate because there is not enough food being served. It is considered to be rude tapping on plates in a restaurant or even at home.

in the northern area of Spain they call it pinxos

During the time I worked in Spain I have never seen nor heard that people tap on their plate because there is not enough food being served. It is considered to be rude tapping on plates in a restaurant or even at home.

in the northern area of Spain they call it pinxos
You seem to have missed
It wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

One of my favorite websites for both food and cultural information around the world is Cultural Backstreets. As your Portuguese Camino may have you starting in or going through Porto, I though you...
Anne Chépeau of Radio France in an article published 24/04/2024, describes a special exhibition of paintings and choir carpet of Notre-Dame cathedral restored after the 2019 fire and presently...
Wonderful story! https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia/santiago/santiago/2024/04/23/espiritu-barraca-garcia-lorca-llega-camino/00031713905544318401215.htm Filmmaker and pianist and their...
As many of us know, over the last years the Camino has risen in popularity for South Koreans. I didn't know it had made it into their dramas, though! I was watching the Korean drama (Kdrama)...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back