• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spanish late-night eating culture

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm not sure if that's the case. What I do know is that Spain's streets and squares are full of people at night, in direct contrast to a lot of places in the world which are dead. Also by effect, the workers will start later in the day, so are they working any longer hours? And why is it not ok to work late in a restaurant but it is ok to work that late in other areas? Seems hypocritical and someone looking for attention.

Spain is forecast to have the longest life expectancy in the world in the next few years, which is largely put down to it's social culture of which the above is part of.

I'm not sure if that's the case. What I do know is that Spain's streets and squares are full of people at night, in direct contrast to a lot of places in the world which are dead. Also by effect, the workers will start later in the day, so are they working any longer hours? And why is it not ok to work late in a restaurant but it is ok to work that late in other areas? Seems hypocritical and someone looking for attention.

Spain is forecast to have the longest life expectancy in the world in the next few years, which is largely put down to it's social culture of which the above is part of.

Indeed , not wanting to go into politics but it would be interesting to see what the unions think of this all.
Plus long days mean different staff in shifts, just like in nursing, public transport etc.

Social culture and quality mediterranean diet seem to be key factors in happiness and life expextancy in Spain.
Maybe also important is that the average Spaniard/ household , like many other countries I presume, does not go out for dinner every night of the week.
I guess that it is still a special treat for most of us.
Different for a quick coffee at the local bar of course.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I read a similar article in a different paper, but the main thing discussed was the difference in the two politicians opinions. Not much about health...

Social culture and quality mediterranean diet seem to be key factors in happiness and life expextancy in Spain.
For what it’s worth, according to this article in El País, most Spaniards do not eat the Mediterranean diet.

Spaniards eat just as badly as people do in other countries. While there is a lot of boasting about the Mediterranean diet, the truth is that less than half of the country follows it.

Some articles.

General rules for those working in restaurants.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had a second-floor piso on a block with lots of bars and restaurants. The noise at midnight was not appreciated, but at one o’clock, there was silence.

I was in Leon several years ago on the night before the May 1st holiday began. Our hotel room was in the heart of the city and it had huge windows with thick solid wood shutters that we closed when going to bed to block out the light. I woke up at 3:00am to use the bathroom and decided to peek out at the street from three floors up. The noise was incredible with partiers having a good time outside a bar across the street, but the shutters were amazing to keep out all the noise. I woke up at 5:00 to take a peek again and they were still outside, with napkins and paper products strewn all over. We got up at 7:00 and when I looked out the street sweepers were driving by, picking up the trash and washing the street clean...I was impressed!

For what it’s worth, according to this article in El País, most Spaniards do not eat the Mediterranean diet.

I wonder why would El Pais feel the need to write that statement. 75% of the county is not by the Mediterranean Sea.
Why would the people in Galicia go for that diet, when they have the greatest tasting seafood from that rough junction of the Atlantic and the North Sea. Nevermind the Basque people following a mediterranean diet. or anything mediterranean for that matter.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I wonder why would El Pais feel the need to write that statement. 75% of the county is not by the Mediterranean Sea.
Why would the people in Galicia go for that diet, when they have the greatest tasting seafood from that rough junction of the Atlantic and the North Sea. Nevermind the Basque people following a mediterranean diet. or anything mediterranean for that matter.
In Galicia the food of everyday now is similar to the rest of Spain. But in the past, before 1960 more or less, in the rural people fried with lard. No olive oil, turron, olives, oranges, tomatoes, gazpacho, paella, etc in the rural.

Last edited:
There's another thread going on this topic: Spanish late-night eating culture

It seems to me, that if people didn't want to eat dinner late that the restaurants would have no customers. No one is forced to go out to dinner.

Note from the mods: merged the two recent threads on the same topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

As many of us know, over the last years the Camino has risen in popularity for South Koreans. I didn't know it had made it into their dramas, though! I was watching the Korean drama (Kdrama)...
One of my favorite websites for both food and cultural information around the world is Cultural Backstreets. As your Portuguese Camino may have you starting in or going through Porto, I though you...
Anne Chépeau of Radio France in an article published 24/04/2024, describes a special exhibition of paintings and choir carpet of Notre-Dame cathedral restored after the 2019 fire and presently...
Wonderful story! https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia/santiago/santiago/2024/04/23/espiritu-barraca-garcia-lorca-llega-camino/00031713905544318401215.htm Filmmaker and pianist and their...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back