• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tarp or Hammock, what would you advise?

Diogo92

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
C. Português 2013, 2014
C. de Fátima 2014
C. do Salnés 2015
I’m intending to walk the Camiño Francês, either in 2016 or 2017, but until there I will do at least one more time the Portuguese.

I’ve seen a lot of people talking about the bed race that usually happens in the Francês, when the “higher” season starts. Since Spain it’s going to create a brand for the Caminho Francês, I’m a little bit worried that when I decide the year to do the Camiño, the bed race could be worst than it is now!

I’ve read some posts of people taking tents, but I think that to find a nice and cheap lightweight tent will be very complicated. Tarps and Hammocks are very cheap here in Portugal, and since I’m starting to do Bushcraft next year, I will probably buy both of them for my outdoor activities. What I like in these systems it’s that they are not so heavy, are easy to pack and do not need a Hi Tec infrastructure to be mounted.

I’m also intending to stay in some Albergues (mostly in the big cities, like Pamplona), but I think that I would do it on a 50/50 thing.

For the ones who already took any one of these two sleeping/shelter items, what would you say that it’s the best?

Best Regards
Diogo

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The thing is that I also would like to have a different experience. Don't get me wrong, some Albergues are great, but I would like to have a little more privacy. And trust me, camping gives me a lot of privacy, especially when I want to read and meditate.

Best Regards
Diogo

You can take a look at something like DD Tarps.

I've got one - actually only used it as an awning for our tent so far but there are loads of resources online to show how the tarp can be turned into a shelter (with more or less privacy depending what you want) using one or two trekking poles or used as a closed or open hammock.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As I said above , there are all kinds of accommodation along the different Caminos including a hotel which gives lots of privacy and a great place to read & mediate . Camping is great but in a campsite not in someones field. Lots of these so called campers tend to leave lots of rubbish where they have camped the night before ( not saying this is the case just pointing out a fact). As an experienced peregrino as you are I suppose you understand what I´m saying.

Ondo Ibili !

Yes Mendi, I understand. Thank you very much for your advices :)

Best Regards
Diogo

You can take a look at something like DD Tarps.

I've got one - actually only used it as an awning for our tent so far but there are loads of resources online to show how the tarp can be turned into a shelter (with more or less privacy depending what you want) using one or two trekking poles or used as a closed or open hammock.

Actually the tarp and the hammock that I'm going to buy are from DD :D

Best Regards
Diogo

Diogo, I have a Clark Jungle Hammock and considered taking it on my first Camino.
But after walking several times, I can tell you that you will have difficulty finding a place to hang along the majority of the Camino.
If your choices are hammock or tarp, I'd go for the tarp.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you @Anniesantiago , your response (and PM) gaved me a great help ;)

Best Regards
Diogo

Actually the tarp and the hammock that I'm going to buy are from DD :D

Best Regards
Diogo

I walked the Salvador with a DD tarp. Very well made and easy to pitch for different conditions.

However... I wouldn't want to be in really wet weather in one. I can imagine the ground being a bit damp inside if you dont take a groundsheet. They seem very resistant to wind though.

Dont forget the need to carry some sort of sleep mat, even in summer the ground sucks heat away from you.

An alternative may be a goretex bivvi bag but they are too much like coffins for me.

I walked the Salvador with a DD tarp. Very well made and easy to pitch for different conditions.

However... I wouldn't want to be in really wet weather in one. I can imagine the ground being a bit damp inside if you dont take a groundsheet. They seem very resistant to wind though.

Dont forget the need to carry some sort of sleep mat, even in summer the ground sucks heat away from you.

An alternative may be a goretex bivvi bag but they are too much like coffins for me.

Well, it really depends from the tarp that you have. On the buschcraft training that I'm going to do, we learn how to turn a tarp and an large emergency blanket on a tent. And the tarp it's folded in a way that covers the bottom part too. Still have to learn how to do it, but I know that it's possible.

I've heard of people using DD tarp's in Red Alert Weather Conditions here in Portugal. And there are pictures from it! Karrimor have good Bivibags, lightweight and very durable, I could also buy one.

Thank you very much anyway :)

Best Regards
Diogo

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I agree with Annie that you'll be severely limited by where you can hang a hammock - the meseta for instance. I brought my Trailstar shelter with me this last August for back up, because I anticipated that some nights the albergues might all be full. As it turned out there was always an indoor option and I preferred to take that and stay with the people I was walking with than contemplate the stars - also a shower is nice. I don't regret carrying the extra 700g all that way, as I expected finding accommodation in August to be problematic and it was reassuring to know I had a Plan B. But I don't think I'd bother next time, even in high season. I would continue to take a decent length foam mat though, that I could lay out anywhere in good weather.

Well, it really depends from the tarp that you have. On the buschcraft training that I'm going to do, we learn how to turn a tarp and an large emergency blanket on a tent. And the tarp it's folded in a way that covers the bottom part too. Still have to learn how to do it, but I know that it's possible.

I've heard of people using DD tarp's in Red Alert Weather Conditions here in Portugal. And there are pictures from it! Karrimor have good Bivibags, lightweight and very durable, I could also buy one.

Thank you very much anyway :)

Best Regards
Diogo

That is the good thing about tarp tents, you can pitch them different to suit different conditions. Yep it is possible to pitch to keep the floor dry, it sacrifices a fair bit of space though. Or you can use a ground sheet. Or an emergency blanket as you say. The thing is though, once you start carrying the tarp and ground sheet the weight is not far off that of a tent. In fact a friend of mine has a 3 season tent including poles that is actually lighter than my tarp on its own. It's also got bug mesh which to me is worth its weight in gold for summer camping which a tarp doesnt (they get very buggy).

Tarps are great and very, very flexible in variable conditions but the Camino isn't the bush. It's pretty gentle territory. I carried one on the Salvador because it was remote mountain country, I doubt I'd take one on the Frances unless I was going to make an effort to camp frequently. I'd rather take my chances on springing for a hotel the couple of times I might get caught out in the bed race rather than the additional weight.

I will take all of your responses in consideration.

Best Regards
Diogo

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.