• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What camera do you use?

CaptainAmerica

Time of past OR future Camino
Do you bring a camera apart from the one on your phone? If so, what kind? Do you use a wearable camera like a GoPro?

If you have a phone with a really great camera for taking pictures on the Camino, which phone is it?

I ask because I see a lot of people posting really beautiful pictures from the Camino here and on Facebook, where the colors really are vibrant etc and I'm just wondering what equipment people around here use for photos and video on the Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My partner used a Nikon P900 back in 2019 and whatever the latest iPhone then. There are later versions of the Nikon but they are bigger and heavier.
I used my Canon EOS 200D and my then Motorola phone.
Current phone is now a Samsung S22 Ultra. Partner uses the latest iPhone.
Not sure what I would take for my camera. I have a Canon R7 now which I love but I'm hardly going to take my big lens as much as I love it for wildlife.

Here's a youtube video from Hank to this general topic... it is about 5 years old... so his arguments should be true even more today.

What my daughter missed on her camino for here fotos ( or short videos ) was the very lightweight tripod, that Hank mentions as well.

Last edited:
I have used a Panasonic DMC-TZ100 on all my caminos and I'm very happy with it for this purpose. I bought it for my first camino because I didn't want to carry a larger camera and it was the only compact camera on the market at the time with both a full-size sensor and significant optical zoom (10x).

If you want to see the picture quality, here is my Camino de Santiago Collection on Flickr.

Last edited:
If you are interested in the data of a particular photo that you like - to the right of the photo is "Image metadata". Most photos have device information (phone or camera) and all other information -Apertures, Focal length, Exposure time, ISO, File size, Date taken

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Do you bring a camera apart from the one on your phone? If so, what kind? Do you use a wearable camera like a GoPro?
I mostly use my phone camera, a Galaxy Note 20, image quality wise it still goes toe to toe with my wife's latest iPhone. I've taken a large sensor point and shoot (Fuji X100v) that fits in my waist bag, but it hardly gets used except in the evenings. If you're doing video, then a GoPro or and Insta360 X3 wouldn't' add much weight. In most videos I see, the action camera is mounted on a selfie stick, so you'll want to bring along one of those as well.

I mostly use my phone camera, a Galaxy Note 20, image quality wise it still goes toe to toe with my wife's latest iPhone. I've taken a large sensor point and shoot (Fuji X100v) that fits in my waist bag, but it hardly gets used except in the evenings. If you're doing video, then a GoPro or and Insta360 X3 wouldn't' add much weight. In most videos I see, the action camera is mounted on a selfie stick, so you'll want to bring along one of those as well.
Ivar was using some new toy in one of his latest video’s, insta360, and that footage with an invisible selfie-stick looked great!

I contemplated taking my Nikon d750 with my holy trinity (24mm, 50mm and 85mm), but after putting them on the scales, I opted for my iPhone 6 (in 2016) and iPhone 11 in 2019.

Buen Camino
Miguel

@CaptainAmerica, I used a GoPro and my iPhone - it's an old i7 so the photos are nowhere near as good as Nick's for example.
My GoPro kit including case weighs something like 500 grams : backpack mount, mini stand/ selfie stick, cable and 2 spare Longlife batteries. ( 1 would have sufficed however I bought a pack of two because per battery it was a hell of a lot cheaper, and I also took the original battery. Next time I think I'll just take the two long life batteries).
The case, whilst relatively bulky ( and a little heavier than I would like) was quite convenient because I kept all of my electronics in it, (chargers, Powerbank, cables, Mighty et al) along with a good amount of hikers wool - it made it easy to find and stopped everything rattling! Super easy for airport security too.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I just walk. I take some photos of people I meet at night. Might take a photo if the weather really sucks and I want to show my pals how rough and tough I am ;). I also suck taking photos. But I have some and when I look back they all kind of look the same and I rarely remember where a photo was taken. So 99% of the time I walk. see, listen and hear. Oh yea and think as little as possible.

If you have a phone with a really great camera for taking pictures on the Camino, which phone is it?

I ask because I see a lot of people posting really beautiful pictures from the Camino here and on Facebook, where the colors really are vibrant etc and I'm just wondering what equipment people around here use for photos and video on the Camino.

+ 4 rolls of film.

Attachments

• IMG_0530.jpeg
    IMG_0530.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 72
I just walk. I take some photos of people I meet at night. Might take a photo if the weather really sucks and I want to show my pals how rough and tough I am ;). I also suck taking photos. But I have some and when I look back they all kind of look the same and I rarely remember where a photo was taken. So 99% of the time I walk. see, listen and hear. Oh yea and think as little as possible.
But you do enjoy your friend’s photos! 😘

Attachments

• _TRV3742.jpeg
    _TRV3742.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 62
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have used a Canon G9-X compact since 2018. It has a larger than normal image sensor than most compacts so is very good in low light with an f2 lens. This is important inside of cathedrals where flash is typically a no, no and high contrast between light and shadow is typical. It also has the ability to shoot in camera HDR which again is useful in high contrast light situations found in cathedrals.
Optical zoom is useful as as opposed to digital zoom only from smart phone cameras.
To me it is worth the small extra weight penalty to carry a 'real' camera.
I carry it in a small pouch clipped to the front of one of my backpack straps so it is easily accessible in an instant which is important when walking, otherwise you miss alot if shots if your camera is hard to get to.

Last edited:
Well I left Australia with grand dreams of capturing my trip on film. A Day in each major city taking in the sights on my black and white obsession. In preperation I bought film and set up my kit and got everything ready. Okay i would suffer with 2-3 kg of cameras and film but my addiction needed to be filled.

I I took my 35mm panoramic camera - it broke after 6 rolls of film
I took my 120 film camera - it broke after 7 rolls of film.
After shedding fillm canisters, extra film, dry bags and then both my cameras at a municipal hostel I relied on my mobile phone.

All in all I doubt I will ever take film again and will always embrace the ultralight backpacking method.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

For general holiday snaps something like the latest iphone can be great. Perfect for those with no phootgraphy knowledge or inclination to do anything other than point and shoot.

If you want to take your photography more seriously, a proper camera and good lenses are going to help you produce far better photos.

Phones and action cams have small sensors so you are limited with what you can achieve with them in terms of image editing, printing, and shooting in low light conditions.

Canon Powershot SX 740 HS. Very compact and 40x Optical Zoom.

Camino folks would have kittens if I took a medium format camera that can create files up to 1.5 to 3 gigs....each,and would seemingly fill a terrabyte hard drive in 100 or so photos.
Its how my artistic mind works..
Its good for the soul
Its fulfilling in about 3 ways

My S23 will do for adaquate everyday stuff in pro mode.
But
My clients specifically ask for and enjoy my big boy camera
I enjoy...their joy at seeing themselves on canvas on the walls.
Seeing folks cry(not a joy) when they see a deceased loved one where the catchlight in the eyes..showing life and completeness..instead of what time has ravaged and taken

Life is only one direction..capture every moment

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Camino folks would have kittens if I took a medium format camera that can create files up to 1.5 to 3 gigs....each,and would seemingly fill a terrabyte hard drive in 100 or so photos.
Its how my artistic mind works..
Its good for the soul
Its fulfilling in about 3 ways

My S23 will do for adaquate everyday stuff in pro mode.
But
My clients specifically ask for and enjoy my big boy camera
I enjoy...their joy at seeing themselves on canvas on the walls.
Seeing folks cry(not a joy) when they see a deceased loved one where the catchlight in the eyes..showing life and completeness..instead of what time has ravaged and taken

Life is only one direction..capture every moment
Totally agree! Why not take a medium format camera.

I'm taking 48TB of hard drives on my upcoming Camino. I hope it's enough storage for everything i want to capture. Which does include video too. 😊

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Have an OM2n, some lenses and a Zenza-Bronica ETRS with two lenses on hand.
But the processing, especially of 120 Film, got extremely pricey :eek:😓
Yup, film is pricy, I got rid of my Bronica, but kept my Nikon EL2. One day I might some film through it again.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As a short term portable solution when i transfer photos to and from my Ipad is thumb drives
Solid state and easily portable

A set of SDXC cards of suitible size is more to my liking and trust factor.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.