Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Fine art photography from the Camino Ways.

the Albergue at Granon

BobM

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
V Frances; V Podensis; V Francigena; V Portugues; V Francigena del Sud; Jakobsweg. Jaffa - Jerusalem
The sleeping area of the albergue consists of mattresses on the floor of the attic in the village church. The attic leads via a door to the roof space of the church where you can wash and dry clothes. Below, there is a comfortable sitting area and kitchen.

The night I stayed here Arturo, the hospitalero, and a couple of helpers prepared a wonderful communal meal for us all. After the meal there were prayers in the church for those who wanted to attend.

The setting itself is relaxing and evocative of a past era of pilgrimage.

However, the reason I mention this albergue is because of the kindness and sense of vocation shown by Arturo and his helpers.

“Remember us in Santiago”, said Arturo as I thanked him when I left in the morning. Many days later I did so, kneeling in the great Cathedral, in the midst of hundreds of fellow pilgrims, washed in the music of the noon Mass.

Regards

Bob M

Pilgrim Pouch carry bags with different designs
A lightweight carry bag handy for walking, biking, traveling, & Caminos
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

Minkey

On my first pilgrimage I was told this place was one of the Camino's gems. Seems very popular, although I have yet to stay there.

BobM

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
V Frances; V Podensis; V Francigena; V Portugues; V Francigena del Sud; Jakobsweg. Jaffa - Jerusalem
Gems of the Camino Frances

There are a few other albergues that I will always remember, as well as Granon. I still intend to write a few words on each of them.

They are memorable partly for the settings, but more so for the hospitaleros and hospitaleras I met.

Given the demands on them over every Camino season, I am amazed that the few special folk I will remember maintain a sense of vocation and service to pilgrims.

Regards

Bob M

Minkey

I felt very much the same way towards a few other hospitaleros... Firstly the kind gentleman in Cizur Menor who sang songs and made everyone feel so relaxed after a day's walk. Then there was the lovely man in Tardajos who gave me some stuff to clean my clothes (I had very little after not getting my kit flown with me on the plane)... Then there was the lovely, lovely, lovely guy in Foncebadon who had only anticipated on staying for 2 weeks and was still there 18 months later. I forget his name, but will never forget his welcome!

Minkey

Oh... and the pulling together to keep the refugio in Castrojeriz open, after the hospitalero was hit by a train (so I understood at the time). Fellow pilgrims kept it up and running.

Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads