• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"The Camino changed me"

Joodle

Time of past OR future Camino
CF May 10th- June 21st 2016
VDLP March-April 2017
CF coming up April-May
I keep hearing that the Camino changes you. If anyone wants to share, and can actually put their finger on what changed for them during the Camino, I would love to hear. As for me, I'm hoping to feel a little braver, to take chances and broaden my horizons with travel, to lay my anguish over the loss of my 2 sisters to rest, to be able to plan the next chapter of my life and move forward joyfully, And last but not least, to thank my Heavenly Father for my life and blessings. The theme I've chosen for my life this year is "Lord, help make me a blessing in someones life today" That will be my mantra on the Camino>

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Good morning, @Joodle, from a fellow WA resident!

I do not have enough fingers to put on each thing that changed for me. And, were I to enumerate them, I would appear to have been an awful person before Camino and a most excellent one after. (Not true on either count but perhaps the former is close enough.:()

I am sorry for your losses and understand the pain of losing a sibling. It would not surprise me if you found your sisters accompanying you at times on the Way. And, yes, I do think that the walk helps process grief.

My only advice is to not go looking for change to happen. You cannot plan it, expect it or demand it. The Way generally delivers what you need...not what you want. (Or thought you wanted.) Keep away from planning and big life decisions as you go. Enjoy a completely quiet mind. All decisions and plans will come easier after you are back for awhile.

Change will happen, it may be incremental or maybe it happens in a flash.

And your mantra? Wow, you are off to a great start on the Camino. (Do remember to accept the kindness of others though...because you'll need it on occasion.)

Buen Camino!

B

I do not have enough fingers to put on each thing that changed for me. And, were I to enumerate them, I would appear to have been an awful person before Camino and a most excellent one after. (Not true on either count but perhaps the former is close enough.:()

I am sorry for your losses and understand the pain of losing a sibling. It would not surprise me if you found your sisters accompanying you at times on the Way. And, yes, I do think that the walk helps process grief.

My only advice is to not go looking for change to happen. You cannot plan it, expect it or demand it. The Way generally delivers what you need...not what you want. (Or thought you wanted.) Keep away from planning and big life decisions as you go. Enjoy a completely quiet mind. All decisions and plans will come easier after you are back for awhile.

And your mantra? Wow, you are off to a great start on the Camino. (Do remember to accept the kindness of others though...because you'll need it on occasion.)

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I will go with an open and empty mind (that's my usual state of being:confused:) and let whatever flows into my mind swirl around and form it's own plans. I am just ready to move forward!

Buen Camino!

B

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I will go with an open and empty mind (that's my usual state of being:confused:) and let whatever flows into my mind swirl around and form it's own plans. I am just ready to move forward!

I keep hearing that the Camino changes you. If anyone wants to share, and can actually put their finger on what changed for them during the Camino, I would love to hear. As for me, I'm hoping to feel a little braver, to take chances and broaden my horizons with travel, to lay my anguish over the loss of my 2 sisters to rest, to be able to plan the next chapter of my life and move forward joyfully, And last but not least, to thank my Heavenly Father for my life and blessings. The theme I've chosen for my life this year is "Lord, help make me a blessing in someones life today" That will be my mantra on the Camino>
since you asked ....
certainly, the camino can change 'you' .... but so can a trip to your grocery store or job/office or bank teller if lived fully present and with awareness, kindness and love in your heart.
isn't it about ones willingness to be open to change ? and then being willing to surrender into how those those changes form and change you - instead of somewhat expecting to call the shots on how the changes should or ought to look like.
dare the adventure -- just go ... follow that inner call ... and it will mold you ... if you are lucky....and if you let it. but it's also entirely possible the anyone could undertake the outer camino and emerge from it as kind or as obnoxious as s/he when the camino was started. who's to say what might occur?
let life guide you, the camino guide you.
And magic will be able to find you, if you let it... (and quit expecting any outcome in particular. you might be bored to sobs on the camino?! ) let it find you ... on the camino, on your way to the grocery, or on your way from the dentist ...
this marvelous forum is full of tales, short and long, that give insight into those blessed moments of when a pilgrim felt touched, changed, deeply moved ... have fun exploring the forum for those precious tales.
very best wishes - bom caminho -
c

certainly, the camino can change 'you' .... but so can a trip to your grocery store or job/office or bank teller if lived fully present and with awareness, kindness and love in your heart.
isn't it about ones willingness to be open to change ? and then being willing to surrender into how those those changes form and change you - instead of somewhat expecting to call the shots on how the changes should or ought to look like.
dare the adventure -- just go ... follow that inner call ... and it will mold you ... if you are lucky....and if you let it.

Quite true @amorfati1 !

It is just that some of us might not learn that without the Camino's tutoring. And, admittedly, the Camino may have no effect on some.

B

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
since you asked ....
dare the adventure -- just go ... follow that inner call ... and it will mold you ... if you are lucky....and if you let it. but it's also entirely possible the anyone could undertake the outer camino and emerge from it as kind or as obnoxious as s/he when the camino was started. who's to say what might occur?
And magic will be able to find you, if you let it... (and quit expecting any outcome in particular. you might be bored to sobs on the camino?! ) let it find you ... on the camino, on your way to the grocery, or on your way from the dentist ...
this marvelous forum is full of tales, short and long, that give insight into those blessed moments of when a pilgrim felt touched, changed, deeply moved ... have fun exploring the forum for those precious tales.
c
I have felt healing and release from my grief since I started planning for my Camino. I feel a connection with people on this forum. I appreciate all the words of wisdom I have been receiving. Thank you so much. I want to be the one that can reach out to "Newbies" and support and answer questions after I finish my journey.

certainly, the camino can change 'you' .... but so can a trip to your grocery store or job/office or bank teller
So true. I do not feel that I am a "changed" person because of the Camino. Often people walk at particular transition points in their lives, so the Camino experience may take on greater significance. Through the Camino, I have been exposed to different perspectives on life, which must have an influence on me, just as other new experiences do.

Dear Joodle,
Your post resonated with me. I will therefore share some thoughts with you.

Doing the Camino, in your situation, may be your best decision ever. It is in times of dire need that the Camino can provide the most useful and powerful support for you. In 2009, (I have posted this before, but all posts sink into oblivion on this (and other) forums), So I'll repeat: in 2009, I lost my beloved brother. I was divorced. I was forcefully retired. I had a hard time. I did my first Camino.

One morning, above Castrojeritz, on the start of the Meseta, on the Camino Frances, I had a break. Looking up at the sky, I suddenly saw a big "X" formed by two crossing planes. I took it as a sign: Put a big "X" over your past, move forward, and be happy you are alive and can remember those dear to you, living or dead. Remember: As long as someone remembers you, you are not really dead. After that moment, I walked on happy again. Actually, my life was turned for the better at that very moment. Look for your own cross in the sky:

DSCN0025.JPG

And yes, if you let it, the Camino will change you. in good ways. There is a saying: "The Camino will give you what you need, not neccessarily what you want." It is true.

The Camino truly changed me.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The changes you find post Camino are not necessarily the ones you expect but they could be exactly what you need Joodle. Walk a comfortable pace for yourself , live each moment with an open heart aware of your surroundings. Accept that this is your camino, only you can walk it and let the adventure unfold before you.
I wish you blessings in every step Buen camino.

Last edited:
Joodle,
I walked the Camino Frances in the fall of 2015 because I was convinced that God was calling me to do so. I had no idea why, so no particular expectations. Various experiences along the way convinced me that He loves me very much and that He promises to provide for all my needs. I cannot say that I became a better person as a result. But I believe that I was shown what I needed to know and that God will take it from there. Maybe God makes me a more loving person by showing me that he loves me? Blessings on your journey and on your returning.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have felt healing and release from my grief since I started planning for my Camino. I feel a connection with people on this forum. I appreciate all the words of wisdom I have been receiving. Thank you so much. I want to be the one that can reach out to "Newbies" and support and answer questions after I finish my journey.
just came across this and thought of you/your post ...
even the photo on this post was quite 'camino' flavoured. at least in my eyes ...
and no worries, one step - one feather - at a time.
best wishes,
C

http://www.onbeing.org/blog/parker-palmer-loss-can-be-the-place-where-beauty-and-goodness-begin/8311
which includes this poem ...

Not to Make Loss Beautiful… by Gregory Orr
Not to make loss beautiful,
But to make loss the place
Where beauty starts. Where
the heart understands
For the first time
The nature of its journey.

Love, yes. The body
of the beloved as the gift
Bestowed. But only
Temporarily. Given freely,
But now to be earned.

Given without thought,
And now loss
Has made us thoughtful.

The camino changed my relationship with my mother. And later my sister.

My mother announced in 2005 that she would be accompanying her friend from childhood, an adventurous sort, to walk the camino from SJPdP to wherever. My mother, 55 years old, was a cancer survivor at the time, recently in remission, double mastectomies, some of you may unfortunately understand... She had been "clean" about 4 years, which was an outstanding sign for her prognosis.

My mother and I had only shared a (relatively) brief excursion before, along with her friend, on the Kalalau Trail, on the north shore of Kauai... Its about an 11 mile hike in and we broke it into 3 days or so... Its a different sort of hiking though, but laid the foundation.

I met my mom in Leon, about a month into her Camino. I ORDERED my mother to be in Leon on the date I arrived, and I was quite surprised when she checked into my room at Hotel Paris before I did! She took a taxi to make it in time. She knew what she needed to do, but I was disappointed that her "crew", her friend and her friend's family, were nowhere to be seen. They were behind schedule.

So my mother and I spent a day in Leon, going to museums, checking out the place, waiting for them to catch up. And the next day her friend arrived... But she arrived more annoyed than happy...

So now me, like totally wanting to get out there and do this, was like, "let's leave tomorrow."

Only her friend wanted to stay and enjoy a rest day in the city (she had no timelines).

At this point, having not walked a meter on my first camino, and knowing that the likelihood of actually making it to Santiago was diminishing with each day waiting in Leon, I told my mother, "Let's go without them."

Now, surprisingly, my mother immediately agreed. It seems that the best friends from childhood may have had some tension along the way, about money and stuff. My mother was eager to continue with a new partner.

And so we went off, from Leon to Mazarife, to Astorga, to Rabanal, etc. etc. etc.

Each day we grew closer. I remember sharing a wonderful night in a hotel in Ponferrada after so many alburgues because we were just fed up with the bunk bed situation. A communal "hey let's take a break" moment.

Well, we made it to Santiago in time to meet our flight departures. (Not a day to spare.)...

Later we came back and shared our marvelous pictures. We talked about the effort, that it was a once and and lifetime trip that SHE and I shared together...

She and I spoke, EVERYDAY, on the phone, after that trip when we came back.

We shared iMovie videos of the adventure with all friends and family at any family occasion. It was obvious to all that we shared a unique, solid bond, built on the foundation of our mother/son relationship. but driven to new heights by our adult/adult friendship encouraged by our shared Camino.

She also came back and noticed that she had some trouble breathing.

It seems that despite being clean for nearly 5 years, her cancer had spread, and now affected her lungs...

3 years later she was dead.

I spoke at her funeral, and my eulogy was titled, "My mother was my best friend."

I remember my sister being somewhat jealous of my relationship with my mother. She had the grandkids, which made her #1 on the totem pole, but didn't have that shared, secret understanding of sharing the walk of about 260km together across the Spanish unknown.

So, on the day of my mother's funeral, I turned to my sister and said, "Let's do the Camino."

My sister was able to experience all that my mother and I had, just with me. She was brought into the fold.

And today, my sister is my best friend.

Damien

All these thoughts are beautiful, there are no words I can add until I actuallt do my Walk and come home, I know I like to serve others and it is difficult for me to accept help from others, im praying that during my Camino I will be able to get rid of this block. I am finding that I may need to go without expecting anything, just live the moments and let the magic and His spirit take over me!! My word for 2016 is INSPIRE, so I will take it as giving and receiving inspiration!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

My mother announced in 2005 that she would be accompanying her friend from childhood, an adventurous sort, to walk the camino from SJPdP to wherever. My mother, 55 years old, was a cancer survivor at the time, recently in remission, double mastectomies, some of you may unfortunately understand... She had been "clean" about 4 years, which was an outstanding sign for her prognosis.

My mother and I had only shared a (relatively) brief excursion before, along with her friend, on the Kalalau Trail, on the north shore of Kauai... Its about an 11 mile hike in and we broke it into 3 days or so... Its a different sort of hiking though, but laid the foundation.

I met my mom in Leon, about a month into her Camino. I ORDERED my mother to be in Leon on the date I arrived, and I was quite surprised when she checked into my room at Hotel Paris before I did! She took a taxi to make it in time. She knew what she needed to do, but I was disappointed that her "crew", her friend and her friend's family, were nowhere to be seen. They were behind schedule.

So my mother and I spent a day in Leon, going to museums, checking out the place, waiting for them to catch up. And the next day her friend arrived... But she arrived more annoyed than happy...

So now me, like totally wanting to get out there and do this, was like, "let's leave tomorrow."

Only her friend wanted to stay and enjoy a rest day in the city (she had no timelines).

At this point, having not walked a meter on my first camino, and knowing that the likelihood of actually making it to Santiago was diminishing with each day waiting in Leon, I told my mother, "Let's go without them."

Now, surprisingly, my mother immediately agreed. It seems that the best friends from childhood may have had some tension along the way, about money and stuff. My mother was eager to continue with a new partner.

And so we went off, from Leon to Mazarife, to Astorga, to Rabanal, etc. etc. etc.

Each day we grew closer. I remember sharing a wonderful night in a hotel in Ponferrada after so many alburgues because we were just fed up with the bunk bed situation. A communal "hey let's take a break" moment.

Well, we made it to Santiago in time to meet our flight departures. (Not a day to spare.)...

Later we came back and shared our marvelous pictures. We talked about the effort, that it was a once and and lifetime trip that SHE and I shared together...

We shared iMovie videos of the adventure with all friends and family at any family occasion. It was obvious to all that we shared a unique, solid bond, built on the foundation of our mother/son relationship. but driven to new heights by our adult/adult friendship encouraged by our shared Camino.

It seems that despite being clean for nearly 5 years, her cancer had spread, and now affected her lungs...

I spoke at her funeral, and my eulogy was titled, "My mother was my best friend."

I remember my sister being somewhat jealous of my relationship with my mother. She had the grandkids, which made her #1 on the totem pole, but didn't have that shared, secret understanding of sharing the walk of about 260km together across the Spanish unknown.

So, on the day of my mother's funeral, I turned to my sister and said, "Let's do the Camino."

My sister was able to experience all that my mother and I had, just with me. She was brought into the fold.

Damien

Beautiful words about your Mom im sure she walked with both of you. ..

One step
One breath
One step
Another breath

Soon, you find the tightness leaves
You feel the bonds tighten...furtively..futilely

Letting go is the hard part
That old familiar pain you know..that old familiar ground
Fertile, fecund with the tears
One days hour, one,less felt so keenly...openly lonely within

You find yourself
One day... away from the jealous wheel which grinds away at your spirit
Grinds away your soft hidden parts until there are none left

A week passed and there was no passing thought
We think of those in passing
Those that should be put to soft and honored grave after alotted time has marked your soul.

You find
You are..out of mind,and time,tide and place...

You have begun..Today.

Bestirred the waters
You see your face
The stone at bottom in its rightful place

Still the waters..
Still...they lie
And your face before the face on the waters...stranger
That face is you.

The road has closed
The road..
Has opened

Be Blessed Pilgrim on the way
May there be endings
May
There be Beginnings

I have recently lost my mother and your post brought tears to my eyes, what a wonderful way to bond first with your mother and then with your sister.
Thank you for sharing.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Buen Camino!

B
Thank you Simply B. I appreciate your response. I like the part where you say to let your mind be quiet and not make big plans. Very good advice. I will remember that.

since you asked ....
c
Thank you Amorfat 1 I appreciate that you took time to share some very important thoughts. I am trying to learn to live in the moment. I have felt anxious about the future and what might happen, due to all the deaths in my family in the last 5 years. I kept worrying about what was going to happen next. I am now learning to live and enjoy each day and letting the future take care of itself!

Ok, I'll admit that you had me shedding tears over your loss. It's so hard to lose your Momma at any age. It's so amazing that you got to be so close to her before she "graduated earth"
Dear Joodle,
Your post resonated with me. I will therefore share some thoughts with you.

Doing the Camino, in your situation, may be your best decision ever. It is in times of dire need that the Camino can provide the most useful and powerful support for you. In 2009, (I have posted this before, but all posts sink into oblivion on this (and other) forums), So I'll repeat: in 2009, I lost my beloved brother. I was divorced. I was forcefully retired. I had a hard time. I did my first Camino.

One morning, above Castrojeritz, on the start of the Meseta, on the Camino Frances, I had a break. Looking up at the sky, I suddenly saw a big "X" formed by two crossing planes. I took it as a sign: Put a big "X" over your past, move forward, and be happy you are alive and can remember those dear to you, living or dead. Remember: As long as someone remembers you, you are not really dead. After that moment, I walked on happy again. Actually, my life was turned for the better at that very moment. Look for your own cross in the sky:

View attachment 23220

And yes, if you let it, the Camino will change you. in good ways. There is a saying: "The Camino will give you what you need, not neccessarily what you want." It is true.

The Camino truly changed me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I talk less and listen more.

I spend money on needs, less so on wants.

I have found that I have more patience with those who deserve it and less patience with drama-mongers.

Honestly, you can't predict how a long pilgrimage will change you, but it has changed me, for the better. My "walk away" tendencies have strengthened, and I find I can indeed leave a difficult situation more easily without feeling the need to have "the last word". As an English teacher and observer of everything, this is good.

I have developed a great devotion to other pilgrims on this site, and have a huge respect for those who have actually walked the walk, more so now that I walked from SJPP to SdC. I know the challenge, the pain, the mental fortitude that it takes.

Probably the best part of my walk was realizing that doing it MY WAY was the ONLY way that I would be able to do it, and a new respect for my older, female body--which was so cooperative and strong. I have decided that I will never again feel bad about my body, although I always want to be trimmer and stronger. I am still working at appreciating my body more, and working against buying into the modern notion that we all have to be young and thin to be valued.

The theme I've chosen for my life this year is "Lord, help make me a blessing in someones life today" That will be my mantra on the Camino>
Joodle, excellent theme but don't forget to accept whatever blessings come your way. Maybe you need to receive and the other person feels the need to give. And hey, you are worth it!. Aidan

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I talk less and listen more.

I spend money on needs, less so on wants.

I have found that I have more patience with those who deserve it and less patience with drama-mongers.

Honestly, you can't predict how a long pilgrimage will change you, but it has changed me, for the better. My "walk away" tendencies have strengthened, and I find I can indeed leave a difficult situation more easily without feeling the need to have "the last word". As an English teacher and observer of everything, this is good.

I have developed a great devotion to other pilgrims on this site, and have a huge respect for those who have actually walked the walk, more so now that I walked from SJPP to SdC. I know the challenge, the pain, the mental fortitude that it takes.

Probably the best part of my walk was realizing that doing it MY WAY was the ONLY way that I would be able to do it, and a new respect for my older, female body--which was so cooperative and strong. I have decided that I will never again feel bad about my body, although I always want to be trimmer and stronger. I am still working at appreciating my body more, and working against buying into the modern notion that we all have to be young and thin to be valued.
AMEN TO THAT, CAMINODEBRIT! It sounds like we are going through quite a bit of the same things. When are you walking next?

Joodle, excellent theme but don't forget to accept whatever blessings come your way. Maybe you need to receive and the other person feels the need to give. And hey, you are worth it!. Aidan
Believe me, Aidan, I will be thankful and appreciative of any blessings sent my way from above, or from my fellow Pilgrims. I just do better when I don't concentrate on myself, but look out for others. I find myself much happier that way.

AMEN TO THAT, CAMINODEBRIT! It sounds like we are going through quite a bit of the same things. When are you walking next?

Joodle: it depends. I am definitely going to Scotland in August, and will be doing the W. Highland Way. Camino de Santiago--while I would love to go in March / April, my husband is asking me to wait until next spring. Because he must do so much on our farm while I am away, I am choosing to respect his request.

If I wait until next spring, I can--without any regrets and feelings of "dumping" my responsibilities on his shoulders--walk a longer walk and I should also have sufficient funds at that time. Currently, due to the Scotland walk in August / September, I think I am going to have JUST enough money to take care of that.

Travel is much more expensive in Scotland than in Spain.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Joodle: it depends. I am definitely going to Scotland in August, and will be doing the W. Highland Way. Camino de Santiago--while I would love to go in March / April, my husband is asking me to wait until next spring. Because he must do so much on our farm while I am away, I am choosing to respect his request.

If I wait until next spring, I can--without any regrets and feelings of "dumping" my responsibilities on his shoulders--walk a longer walk and I should also have sufficient funds at that time. Currently, due to the Scotland walk in August / September, I think I am going to have JUST enough money to take care of that.

Travel is much more expensive in Scotland than in Spain.
I would take my husband with me, but he is 6'8 and snores! He would have a hard time with the bunk beds and the pilgrims would have a hard time with his snoring. He uses a machine here at home, but he states he would not carry it on the Camino. I have encourage him to take motorcycle trip with his friend and he feels that would be much more enjoyable. I would feel bad for him the whole time if he went, and besides, this Camino is for ME!

I would take my husband with me, but he is 6'8 and snores! He would have a hard time with the bunk beds and the pilgrims would have a hard time with his snoring. He uses a machine here at home, but he states he would not carry it on the Camino. I have encourage him to take motorcycle trip with his friend and he feels that would be much more enjoyable. I would feel bad for him the whole time if he went, and besides, this Camino is for ME!

There are Camino walkers who take their C Pap machines, and the pensions are inexpensive enough that you could just stay two to a room. In any case, my husband has NO interest in sleeping in Albergues, as he is a very light sleeper and those who snore would certainly disturb him. He won't sleep with me half the time, as I snore a bit!

I respect that you are happy about going alone. I was too, and feel perfectly content with solo travel :)

Joodle - I think that mantra really does show how much you are on the Camino already.

I was touched by Cecy's post too. For both of you, I agree with SimplyB's comment very much. Another reason to be willingly open to the kindness of others is because you are generous about sharing the joy of the Camino. Clearly you both understand the fulfillment that comes from serving, from being the vehicle through which a need is met. If you resist accepting kindness offered to you, you are denying that experience to others with the same calling. By accepting a kindness you are accepting the Giver too.

So I guess I'd say that one of the things that I learned was that, despite years of management training to the contrary, I am not supposed to be in full control of my life. Vulnerability creates unity among pilgrims. My obligation when the Camino provided a kindness was to acknowledge that gift and be clearly grateful for the Giver.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Joodle -My final thought is that you asked about changes during the Camino. I could not have told you at the end of my Camino what changes it brought about in me. In my case the seedlings may have sprouted while I was in Spain. However, only after I got home & kept reflecting on the experience did I really see growth occurring. The process continues to be productive & liberating over a year later. I'm hooked on this beautiful learning curve and will return this spring with my husband to serves as hospitaleros. Pilgrims - you too - are great teachers.

When I got home from my first Camino people who knew me often asked, 'Did it change you?'
My answer is still, "I hope so. I hope you see something is different and then we'll both know it's real.

Another reason to be willingly open to the kindness of others is because you are generous about sharing the joy of the Camino. Clearly you both understand the fulfillment that comes from serving, from being the vehicle through which a need is met. If you resist accepting kindness offered to you, you are denying that experience to others with the same calling. By accepting a kindness you are accepting the Giver too.

Auden, quoting John Foster Hall, made a sly reference to this train of thought with this: 'We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for, I don’t know'".

@Hobbyhorse has explained it well - - now you know why "they" are here.

B

since you asked ....
c
@amorfati1.... this message is very special. Thank you for posting. Buen Camino :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
All these thoughts are beautiful, there are no words I can add until I actuallt do my Walk and come home, I know I like to serve others and it is difficult for me to accept help from others, im praying that during my Camino I will be able to get rid of this block. I am finding that I may need to go without expecting anything, just live the moments and let the magic and His spirit take over me!! My word for 2016 is INSPIRE, so I will take it as giving and receiving inspiration!!!

Then I bet that's just what the Camino gives you - droves of helpful people who will lovingly break down your ego and teach you how to accept help. Some will touch you and others might annoy you. Built into this lesson is the lesson on setting limits and boundaries for yourself and others. Buen Camino!

I learned that joy and happiness are found in the small things I ordinarily don't notice. I started seeing the little sparkles of mica in the roadside rocks, the numberless shades of green in the moss on the walls, clouds of butterflies. The wonder of a perfectly breaded shrimp alongside a perfectly cold beer, the strange cool wetness of a cow's nose... I gave names to my blisters, I felt the joy of having the exact bit of Compeed someone needed to nip a blister in the bud. I felt irritation and anger at others, but I had time and space enough to look beyond my peevishness and my self-absorption to see exactly why I was reacting so strongly. I learned to shut up for long periods and let someone else talk. I started to laugh a lot more, a lot more deeply. When I went to Mass it really meant something, I was moved, even at the most dial-it-in 30-minute rush Mass. I walked slowly through the churches, I looked carefully at the statues, the pictures, the harmony of the arches.
The world slowed down to the speed of a walking woman. The length of my stride is the rhythm of my heart, evidently. I see the best of myself, and the best of the world around me, when I am walking, or in the middle of a long walk, even when it gets difficult or painful.
Best of all, after some time, I can stop thinking about Me all the time.

Then I bet that's just what the Camino gives you - droves of helpful people who will lovingly break down your ego and teach you how to accept help. Some will touch you and others might annoy you. Built into this lesson is the lesson on setting limits and boundaries for yourself and others. Buen Camino!

I am anxious for Sept to come around!! Buen Camino

I have heard other pilgrims talk about their experiences and suspect that everyone who does the Camino is changed to a degree.

For my Camino. I have purchased a St James the Greater medal that I will wear on my pilgrimage to remind me of my goal. I will spend time in as many of the churches I can along the way to pray for relatives who have passed, friends who are sick. I want to also spend time talking to fellow pilgrims about their adventures. Most of all I want to walk in the foot steps of so many others over ancient paths, Roman roads, and the highways of the Middle Ages.

All travel is memorable, but travels to pilgrimage sites like Lordes, Fatima, and even the Basilica of Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré in Cananda are all moving as much for the spirit of the people you see there as for their history.

My blog has begun even if it is not live just yet, it has taken me a LONG time to get to where i am now, I am I praying this walk ia only the 1st of many and that anything I receive during my Walk I am able to pay it forward. All I ask is to find my purpose and to have clarity in what His will in my life.

I finished the Camino Frances in May 2015 and yes it did change me in many ways but the most tangible was my perspective. When I returned to work an issue had blown up there which drug me through 2 months of lots of stress, or I should say, it should have produced stress. My time on the Camino made me see the bigger picture in my life. Suddenly these BIG problems at work were not quite so big anymore. I didn't have one sleepless night. Sometimes when things would get crazy I would just go into my office, shut the door, put the soundtrack from The Way on, an instantly I was back on the trail with all the lovely people I had met heading for Santiago de Compostela! :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For me it is not so much change that occurs, more a stripping away of the peripheral and inessential. Core aspects of my personality and values emerge, some good, some not good. It allows me to examine and judge myself and, with grace, try to make adjustments. An unfinished business.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back