• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Camino is calling me…early planning stage questions

Janelk

Time of past OR future Camino
Fall 2023
So I just actually learned about the Camino about a month ago and have had it calling to me since. I can’t shake it. How soon is too soon to start planning? I really want to do this next fall. How far in advance can you get your passport? What’s a map recommendation that shows the way so I can do research for the journey? What other tips for someone that is in the beginning planning stages? If I could leave tomorrow to do this I would but I definitely wouldn’t be prepared. Lol. I like to plan but also let the journey take me as well if that makes sense?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
All of these questions have been answered many times before on this forum - I suggest that you spend some time reading old threads on these topics in order to be able to ask more specific questions.

For starters check out the "tagged topics" on the forum:

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You're from the US. Get your passport now; why wait? You won't need a visa unless you stay over 90 days.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It's never too soon to start planning. Google is your friend here. You can find a lot of information on the web about various routes and their length and recommended stages in articles and videos. As far as passports go: if you mean the Camino Passport, then you can get it as trecile noted above, or they sell them on this website, or where you start your Camino, if it is one of the recommended starting points. And start walking now.

Last edited:
Defo start walking now but don't go nuts;start off slowly and shorter distances!
Get whats on your your feet sorted first good shoes good Camino hopefully no blisters!(blisters can finish your walk)
Get your backpack fitted properly ;backpack can soon become another issue over long days of walking!

You will find lots of packing lists to study on here;keep it light but don't be daft and leave out essentials to save weight !!!
My pack for the Frances without food or water weighed 4.22kg (staying in private rooms in Albergues, Hostels and Hotels) look at whats in your pack and then se if you really need it!
Don't worry if you have forgotten anything you can get it in Spain.

Don't be to frightened by the distance!
Although an average stage people walk is around 20 -25 km max (some more,some less)you can and a lot do split that up into bites 🤣by stopping for first breakfast,second breakfast, lunch and an afternoon coffee break :) especially on the Frances, but i did similar on the Portuguese Coastal.

On the remoter Camino's that option is less likely.

I used Gronze to plan my walk a great resource for distance and whats available along any of the main Caminos.
Booking.com is also very useful
WisePilgrim now has a free all Caminos app; which is very good but when you settle on which Camino you defo are walking ,buy the specific WisePilgrim app for the path; they are excellent and easy to follow. (Just over 1 US dollar)
Buen Camino app is also good!
Don't get too stressed; forget all the what if questions in your head anything that comes along you'll sort out its part of the adventure.
Have a great walk
Buen Camino
Woody

So I just actually learned about the Camino about a month ago and have had it calling to me since. I can’t shake it. How soon is too soon to start planning? I really want to do this next fall. How far in advance can you get your passport? What’s a map recommendation that shows the way so I can do research for the journey? What other tips for someone that is in the beginning planning stages? If I could leave tomorrow to do this I would but I definitely wouldn’t be prepared. Lol. I like to plan but also let the journey take me as well if that makes sense?
Decide on your Camino route, starting point and work out how to get there. Brierlys guide is probably best...but young folk seem to use phones a lot for route and albergues.....Main thing is first night accomodation because once on the actual Camino...it is just auto pilot..it is easy to carry on and you will always talk to people who know stuff. Good idea to go in autumn......less crowded and cooler....buen Camino....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Decide on your Camino route, starting point and work out how to get there. Brierlys guide is probably best...but young folk seem to use phones a lot for route and albergues.....Main thing is first night accomodation because once on the actual Camino...it is just auto pilot..it is easy to carry on and you will always talk to people who know stuff. Good idea to go in autumn......less crowded and cooler....buen Camino....
Oh ...one more thing....travel light.....lighter than that!!

Allow yourself one full day before you start. It is a long flight and depending where your start, you will have to take additional transportation (van or bus or train or combination of all) to get to where you are starting from. You adenium will have you wanting to start right away but don't. Your body and mind need the rest. And besides, enjoy the scenery of the town/city that you are starting from.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes. The pilgrim passport! I have this sense if i get it now it makes it more real and it will continue to motivate me
American Pilgrims won't send you one until you are closer to your starting date, but you can buy one from the Camino forum store

Hi, I use this website a lot:
They have descriptions of stages and a great interactive map with lots of information.
Goiod luck with your planning and Buen Camino!

Buy and read any of the easily available guidebooks.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think you have exactly the right spirit. Prepare, but let the Camino speak to you and be willing to adjust as you go.

I prepared by reading, following this forum, watching YouTube. All of these resources give you insight of how to pack, manage the trip, and prepare yourself. You will not be perfectly comfortable your first time no matter what. The beautiful thing about the Camino is that it is well travelled and you wont feel isolated. There are always people to ask and most are very happy to help.

A good guidebook is an excellent place to start. John Brierley’s book is popular but not the only one. The most important thing to remember about guidebooks is that they are NOT RULEbooks. It is perfectly fine to deviate and adjust. They are helpful in that they help you take a big journey like the Camino and break it down into chunks. But each guidebook gives you a workable plan to use as a starting point.

Maps and Apps are interesting, but to be honest the path on the CF is so well marked it is plausible to do it without any map to guide you. A hundred thousand yellow arrows point the way, and of course there are other walkers.

My best tip for first timers is to get a one on one conversation with some people who have done it. Other tips I tell anyone who asks… Prepare, but dont overplan. You need far less in your pack than you may think. Some of the best experiences you will have will be with the people you meet. And, very important, listen to your body.

Fall is plenty of time to adequately prepare, and it is a wonderful time to do it.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I just saw this and that they print your name on it. Im in the middle of a divorce so will wait till i have my maiden name back. I dont want my married name on it 😊
:::chuckle::: I don't recall showing an ID (perhaps i am mistaken)..and back in the day, they would attempt to Latinize at least the first name.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I just saw this and that they print your name on it. Im in the middle of a divorce so will wait till i have my maiden name back. I dont want my married name on it 😊
Many congratulations on your newfound freedom and cheers to a better future!

They print whatever name you ask them to - no ID required.

Slightly off topic but... GOD does this brings back my own memories.....
And then to think that 1 year ago I landed in Paris only to get on that train "tomorrow" that would take me to some small town called St Jean Pied de Port... and then.... 45 days later Frances & Finisterre behind me...flying home ... "all sound and well, and there will be talking and laughter and cheers. And all will say Did it not seem real? Was is not as in the old days?"

@Janelk - I somewhat envy you as I envy every newbie! it is a once-in-a-lifetime feeling that alays remains special.

now to your questions although many already are answered. Use whatever materiel you can get your hands on to start planning
First and foremost - decide on a route and then start pouring over the mentioned web sites, travel books, guides etc.
No need to worry about Pilgrims' Passport (credenciale) - as @trecile said you can order one from American on Camino, you can order one here from @ivar, you can get one in many albergues. The US passport, if yoou dont have that square yet - JUMP on it! I hear the time to get one - practically tripled!!!
Start your physical training ASAP - both endurance and distance (and dont forget to do a good amount of hills)
I think that may do "for now" and I am sure you'll have more questions as the time rolls forward
Buen Camino, Pelegrina!!!

Slightly off topic but... GOD does this brings back my own memories.....
And then to think that 1 year ago I landed in Paris only to get on that train "tomorrow" that would take me to some small town called St Jean Pied de Port... and then.... 45 days later Frances & Finisterre behind me...flying home ... "all sound and well, and there will be talking and laughter and cheers. And all will say Did it not seem real? Was is not as in the old days?"

@Janelk - I somewhat envy you as I envy every newbie! it is a once-in-a-lifetime feeling that alays remains special.

now to your questions although many already are answered. Use whatever materiel you can get your hands on to start planning
First and foremost - decide on a route and then start pouring over the mentioned web sites, travel books, guides etc.
No need to worry about Pilgrims' Passport (credenciale) - as @trecile said you can order one from American on Camino, you can order one here from @ivar, you can get one in many albergues. The US passport, if yoou dont have that square yet - JUMP on it! I hear the time to get one - practically tripled!!!
Start your physical training ASAP - both endurance and distance (and dont forget to do a good amount of hills)
I think that may do "for now" and I am sure you'll have more questions as the time rolls forward
Buen Camino, Pelegrina!!!

I definitely have my passport already. I needed to Renew it for a trip last year.

this is definitely a weird feeling. I’ve wanted and have taken some trips before but this one literally is drawing me to do it. I don’t know if it’s the past few years I’ve had and I’m looking at it as a much needed time to reflect and think about where I go now? I’m not sure. I just know it’s something I feel I NEED to do.

I’ve started to do more hiking. I walk all day at work but definitely notice the difference from walking on a flat surface all day to walking on a trail. Will definitely need that time to build up Endurance and I’ve never hiked with a pack before. So I need to get one to start getting comfortable with it. It’s on my list!

i want to get a big paper map to put on my wall so I can see all the little towns etc. Online maps are great but I like to actually touch things whether it’s a book or map etc. Things online just don’t have the same enchantment to me. I was planning on doing the path via France but have talked to an acquaintance that moved to Portugal last year from the states so now I’m considering starting there. I’m torn.

They say that once the bones of St. James call a person, they don't stop calling until you see them face to face in Santiago. I felt that calling first in 2014, and it took me until 2022 to get there.

Check out Ivar's store linked here for lots of things for inspiration. He ships to the US with a reliable carrier from Santiago.

Gene and I bought hats we wore every time we did a training walk, and along the way, met a few people who'd done it, wishing us Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
They say that once the bones of St. James call a person, they don't stop calling until you see them face to face in Santiago. I felt that calling first in 2014, and it took me until 2022 to get there.

Check out Ivar's store linked here for lots of things for inspiration. He ships to the US with a reliable carrier from Santiago.

Gene and I bought hats we wore every time we did a training walk, and along the way, met a few people who'd done it, wishing us Buen Camino!
So you understand this feeling I’m having. I thought I was a little crazy to be honest. lol. I watched the movie “The way” for the first time just the other day and I actually got choked up when he started on his path. I also just read that besides being the patron saint of hatmakers (I understand you buying hats for your walk now) he is also the patron Saint of rheumatoid sufferers. I’m by no means religious but I find it fitting that this is the thing calling me when I am a rheumatoid sufferer myself! So that is another odd connection. I am off to check out Ivars store now 😊

Last edited:
So you understand this feeling I’m having. I thought I was a little crazy to be honest. lol. I watched the movie “The way” for the first time just the other day and I actually got choked up when he started on his path. I also just read that besides being the patron saint of haymakers (I understand you buying hats for your walk now) he is also the patron Saint of rheumatoid sufferers. I’m by no means religious but I find it fitting that this is the thing calling me when I am a rheumatoid sufferer myself! So that is another odd connection. I am off to check out Ivars store now 😊
Saw a recent interview of Emilio Estevez recently where he stated "The Way had motivated thousands of people to get out of their comfort zone and walk the Camino".

He's correct of course and you can add yourself to the list, you'll enjoy it and the Camino does change people's lives and I assume mostly for the better.

So you understand this feeling I’m having. I thought I was a little crazy to be honest. lol. I watched the movie “The way” for the first time just the other day and I actually got choked up when he started on his path. I also just read that besides being the patron saint of hatmakers (I understand you buying hats for your walk now) he is also the patron Saint of rheumatoid sufferers. I’m by no means religious but I find it fitting that this is the thing calling me when I am a rheumatoid sufferer myself! So that is another odd connection. I am off to check out Ivars
You are not crazy!! Major life change for you, and congrats to your courage. The Camino provides, often without being asked. I for one am so very excited for you embarking on this journey. In three months, I start my 4th Camino (it gets in your blood and soul), and the excitement is still there! And I agree with others, it’s never too soon to start planning thats half the fun and I especially love the idea of a large “wall map”!
Buen Camino Peregrina!

You’re not crazy. Same thing happened to me in January, when I watched Nadine from Nadine walk’s on YouTube. And then Efren. I walked the Ingles the first week in April. (I have the fortune of currently residing in Germany, not as far, or expensive as coming from the US).
WARNING: it’s addictive! If you’ve just joined this forum, you might not yet have noticed how many people here have walked 4,5,6, +++.. Caminos!
And me?
Hoping to walk the Portuguese in autumn….
Advice from a recent newbie :
1/Woody66 is right. Shoes first, walk, pack. Loads of advice elsewhere on this forum.
2/Tim🍁 Full day in town before you walk
3/Timfloyd: reading, forum, YouTube 👍
4/Personally, to shoes I’d add socks. My personal preference after spending a fortune on various options suggested on this forum and elsewhere: Darn Tough. US brand, really comfortable, true to size, lifetime guarantee. Yes, you read that right. Lifetime.
2/ comfortable , under clothing money belt. Like many here I’ve been backpacking for many years, theft is uncommon on Camino but happens (again, load’s of threads) . Think of a money belt (and a backup card) as insurance. You probably won’t need it, but….
Main card - as per my and others comments elsewhere, consider getting a ‘Wise’ debit card.
I could go on. Feel free to message me personally if you want, this is already too long!

Absolutely understand. since I first heard about this walk I have been obsessed, can’t understand the call to walk the Camino. I am about to walk a second fortnight on the Camino Podiensis in France. I toowill walk the Camino Frances in the Autumn (Fall) of 2024. I have watched many videos and read many books and accounts of the walk, for information and advice, I won’t let negative reviews deter me, my walk will be my experience, not someone else’s. Like you I am a planner but for this I will take each day as it comes. The one piece of advice I will take on board is not to adhere to the guide book stages. Buen Camino, perhaps we will meet on The Way.

I’m a planner as much as i will plan ahead to make sure im best prepared but once im on the path i will let my heart lead me. And like you this camino is for me. I will read peoples advice and ideas on where to stay etc but i will also not go in with any preconceived opinions. Each persons perspective is different. But ill make notes and be aware of what is there for me to see and experience. It would be amazing if we met along the way!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
American Pilgrims on the Camino has been mentioned earlier. See if there is a chapter near you. You can meet members and ask questions.

Get your passport now.
I really liked the stages of Stingy Nomad (website) and used them as a primary guide/tweaking as I needed. I did choose to book each night ahead of time as I was on a set timeline-(some people argue against this- it was my preference that I did not regret) and that was the extent of my planning. I did not read a bunch- rather just enjoyed each day- Do pack light and begin gathering best gear now. (backpack and shoe choice).
Part way through the Camino I used Stingy Nomad app which has been helpful to me as I think about my next Camino.

Hola Chicos, hope you are well. Can’t find anything on this, but does anybody know where I can get a pilgrim passport for a journey in late July / Aug.

I always got my passports from the office in SJPP, but this year my wife and I will likely fly or get a train from the UK to Bilbao, then another train to Leon and walk to Santiago, as we only have two weeks this time.

Thankns in advance

Malcolm

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola Chicos, hope you are well. Can’t find anything on this, but does anybody know where I can get a pilgrim passport for a journey in late July / Aug.

I always got my passports from the office in SJPP, but this year my wife and I will likely fly or get a train from the UK to Bilbao, then another train to Leon and walk to Santiago, as we only have two weeks this time.

Thankns in advance

Malcolm

You can buy from the Forum store right here. Shipping by ordinary mail.

Alex do you have a link at all? I cant find that.

How are you accessing the Forum?

On both the app ( what I'm using now), and the website, I think I click in the upper left section, and then select Forum Store.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I definitely have my passport already. I needed to Renew it for a trip last year.

this is definitely a weird feeling. I’ve wanted and have taken some trips before but this one literally is drawing me to do it. I don’t know if it’s the past few years I’ve had and I’m looking at it as a much needed time to reflect and think about where I go now? I’m not sure. I just know it’s something I feel I NEED to do.

I’ve started to do more hiking. I walk all day at work but definitely notice the difference from walking on a flat surface all day to walking on a trail. Will definitely need that time to build up Endurance and I’ve never hiked with a pack before. So I need to get one to start getting comfortable with it. It’s on my list!

i want to get a big paper map to put on my wall so I can see all the little towns etc. Online maps are great but I like to actually touch things whether it’s a book or map etc. Things online just don’t have the same enchantment to me. I was planning on doing the path via France but have talked to an acquaintance that moved to Portugal last year from the states so now I’m considering starting there. I’m torn.
I could have written all your words by myself! (exept the pack part..;-) You put "the feeling" in just the correct words. Now I'm sitting here booking flight to Porto 28.aug, and the adrenalin pumps.. (btw, do not stress the "pack part", 10 kg is "nothing" ;-)

Last edited:
Hi JanelK! Welcome to the forum. I'm a newbie and asked a similar question about a fortnight ago. I got lots of helpful answers, so maybe have a look. I've been looking at this forum extensively since! Not sure what is calling me, but it sure is loud! I feel I'll get the answer when I get there! I've found the resources very handy on this forum, and anything particularly useful I've been adding to my "favourites" for later reference.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back