• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Meseta, and El Hostal Guzmán el Bueno and Medieval Galician Poetry…What???

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
The Camino is a wonderful experience, one which can be enriched with just a slight bit of reading and knowledge - history, art, or architecture never hurt anyone. Many pilgrims, especially inattentive pilgrims not reading their guidebooks or following closely their App have been surprised by the sudden steep climb after Castrojerez up to the Meseta. The Meseta is often loved but others are less than impressed by its loneliness and seemingly desolation. The Meseta has a grand history. Before 1273 the Meseta was indeed a wasteland. Alfonso X (The Learned) ruled Castile, fought against the import of cheap wool from England, and opened the Meseta for some 3000 sheep holders to graze their animals preserving valuable farmland for crops. King Alfonso XThe Wise) developed a court culture that encouraged cosmopolitan learning welcoming and supporting all scholars regardless of religious beliefs, a widespread phenomenon in much of Spain until Ferdinand Isabella in 1492. He embraced knowledge and science, astronomy, history, and created a system of law still in use in parts of the Southwest USA. Alfonso was a prolific sponsor of Galician poetry, such as the Cantigas de Santa Maria, which are equally notable for their musical content as for their literary merit. An amazing man. Wait wait Scruffy, what does all this have to do with El Hostal Guzmán el Bueno in Leon? Before marriage, Alfonso had a romantic relationship with Mayor Guillén de Guzmán, who bore him a daughter, Beatrice.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Alfonso X The Wise was also the patron of the ‘Estoria de Espanna’, a landmark history of Spain written in the Spanish of his time, rather than Latin. I was lucky once upon a time to be involved in a digitisation project of this text. I wrote a bit about what I did as part of this project here for anyone interested:

Last edited:
Alfonso X The Wise was also the patron of the ‘Estonia de Espanna’, a landmark history of Spain written in the Spanish of his time, rather than Latin. I was lucky once upon a time to be involved in a digitisation project of this text. I wrote a bit about what I did as part of this project here for anyone interested:

History does not repeat itself, idiotic humans do. Periods of tolerance, understanding, embracing knowledge, and education, as well as an infatuation with science as exemplified by the court of Alfonso, are quickly followed by periods of ethnic 'purity', intolerance, embracing ignorance, infatuation with fabricated reality and conspiracies, and violence. Not politics, we could learn much from Alfonso as far too many people today experience narrow-minded prejudices, the oppressive policies approaching the ideology of the Inquisition concerning their beliefs, their sexual orientation, and their politics as under the rule of Ferdinand and Isabela.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
. Wait wait Scruffy, what does all this have to do with El Hostal Guzmán el Bueno in Leon? Before marriage, Alfonso had a romantic relationship with Mayor Guillén de Guzmán, who bore him a daughter, Beatrice.
Mayor Guillén de Guzmán was aunt of Alfonso Pérez de Guzmán known as "Guzmán el Bueno" ( Goodman the good).

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Alfonso X The Wise was also the patron of the ‘Estoria de Espanna’, a landmark history of Spain written in the Spanish of his time, rather than Latin. I was lucky once upon a time to be involved in a digitisation project of this text. I wrote a bit about what I did as part of this project here for anyone interested:

Wow Nick! What an interesting project and what an opportunity!

King Alfonso XThe Wise) developed a court culture that encouraged cosmopolitan learning welcoming and supporting all scholars regardless of religious beliefs, a widespread phenomenon in much of Spain until Ferdinand Isabella in 1492.
Just a note that the religious tolerance in Spain did not come to a sudden end with Ferdinand and Isabella in 1492 and the expulsion of the Jews (and the forced conversion of the Muslims a few years later). Look up, for example, the Massacre of 1391, a century earlier.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back