• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

El Camino Frances in January 2024

iwalkinwinter

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo (Lugo-Santiago)
Portugues (Tui-Santiago)
Hello to all and happy new year,

I am planning to start walking El Camino Frances solo on 15th of Jan 2024 and still contemplating about the start point. Initially I was choosing between Pamplona and Burgos but today the idea came to my mind to start in Logroño.

My flight tickets to/from Madrid are 12-31.01 and return flight is flexible to change.

The idea is to walk at least 10 days and then I will see / improvise. I see the final point somewhere in Leon or Astorga.

I never did Camino in winter before but I did Via Francigena couple of times in Feb. So I've experienced below zero temperatures and sleeping in the hostels where I could see steam going out of my mouth lol. As soon as there is a place to sleep - I am happy.

What do you think about Logroño as a starting point? Would be thankful for any ideas/suggestions. Perhaps somebody is also planning to go around same time.

--
Thanks, dimitri
--
2020 - Feb - Via Francigena (San Quirico-Vatican)
2022 - Sept - Camino Portugues (Tui-SDC)
2023 - Feb - Via Francigena (Lucca-San Quirico)
2023 - Mar - Camino Primitivo (Lugo-SDC)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wherever you do plan to walk in winter do keep these thoughts in mind.
In addition to the Valcarlos alternate to Roncesvalles difficult CF stretches after winter storms could be across the Montes de Oca from Villafranca, Najera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada, Monte Irago and, of course, to and from O Cebreiro. Be prepared.

For any winter camino I stress this bit of info re: carrying food supplies.

Whenever you do walk keep warm, stay safe and Buen camino!

Last edited:
Like the VF off-season (I did Vercellito Fidenza in January 2020) , the CF in winter requires more thought, planning and carrying extra gear and food. It's being weather aware - so not setting out in poor conditions particularly in mountainous or isolated sections. There is plenty of winter advice if you do a search on the forum but two useful resources
(1) an online list of albergues that have responded they are open - not everyone contributes so there will be others open

(2) wise pilgrim app - if you tap into each town it will tell you with a traffic light system of red, orange and green if an albergue is closed, maybe or open. But it is wise in many cases to contact in advance! Currently due to moving over to 2024 most of the "open" are orange. And this is great advantage of wise pilgrim- it will assist you in sending a WhatsApp message in Spanish (very quickly and easily)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wherever you do plan to walk in winter do keep these thoughts in mind.
In addition to the Valcarlos alternate to Roncesvalles difficult CF stretches after winter storms could be across the Montes de Oca from Villafranca, Najera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada, Monte Irago and, of course, to and from O Cebreiro. Be prepared.

For any winter camino I stress this bit of info re: carrying food supplies.

Whenever you do walk keep warm, stay safe and Buen camino!
Good morning, appreciate the useful advice / I will make sure to always have swiss cheese and chocolate up my sleeve. And it is always good to keep a pulse on weather dynamics.

Like the VF off-season (I did Vercellito Fidenza in January 2020) , the CF in winter requires more thought, planning and carrying extra gear and food. It's being weather aware - so not setting out in poor conditions particularly in mountainous or isolated sections. There is plenty of winter advice if you do a search on the forum but two useful resources
(1) an online list of albergues that have responded they are open - not everyone contributes so there will be others open

(2) wise pilgrim app - if you tap into each town it will tell you with a traffic light system of red, orange and green if an albergue is closed, maybe or open. But it is wise in many cases to contact in advance! Currently due to moving over to 2024 most of the "open" are orange. And this is great advantage of wise pilgrim- it will assist you in sending a WhatsApp message in Spanish (very quickly and easily)
Morning and thanks for your time advising. Great to know you've also been on VF.

I've saved the list of winter places and I am planning to contact some of them (particularly the ones in the isolated areas) just to make sure they answer lol.

Huge thanks for advising Wise app. Just bought it and checked it out. I've used Buen Camino app before and this one looks more appealing especially if they contact you by whatsapp as you mentioned.

The weather thus far has been mild but that can always change. Come stay at the Albergue Municipal in Najera--I am currently the hospitalero here. There have been several winter peregrinos who have begun in Logrono. Please check out aprinca.com--their winter albergue listings that are open is one of the best. Buen Camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The weather thus far has been mild but that can always change. Come stay at the Albergue Municipal in Najera--I am currently the hospitalero here. There have been several winter peregrinos who have begun in Logrono. Please check out aprinca.com--their winter albergue listings that are open is one of the best. Buen Camino!
Thanks so much Laurie for your input and information. You've just solidified my thoughts about starting in Logroño. And I am looking forward to meeting you in Albergue Municipal in Najera! (probably around 15 or 16 of Jan).

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Buen Camino!
Good day Laurie. Hope you are doing great! Just a small question, I’ve noticed nobody is answering emails in Logroño (for example Santiago El Real). I guess it’s normal for Spain not to check emails in winter, better just call everywhere right? I will try with my limited Spanish lol 😃 I wanted to get also credentials there. Seems like the only place to get them in Logroño - it’s either in Santiago el Real or Albergue de Peregrinos de Logroño.

Maybe there is another place like tourism office? Or to spend 1st night in a private place and get credentials in Najera? By the way, I also have my old credential books which are not filled to the end, do you think I can use them as well?

Hmmm...I think it is better to call. Parroquial Santiago El Real doesn't show a number (they don't require a reservation) and the Municipal takes reservations at 941248686 so you could try that number to ask about credentials BUT I would imagine that they both have credentials for a nominal fee like 2 euros. That's what we offer. And you can definitely use an old credential if it has space.
See you soon!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hmmm...I think it is better to call. Parroquial Santiago El Real doesn't show a number (they don't require a reservation) and the Municipal takes reservations at 941248686 so you could try that number to ask about credentials BUT I would imagine that they both have credentials for a nominal fee like 2 euros. That's what we offer. And you can definitely use an old credential if it has space.
See you soon!
Hi Laurie! Planning to arrive today around 16:00 I think. See you! (In Navarrete now)

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back