• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The most REAL looking pilgrim

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
How lovely! It's ages since I've seen a donkey on the Camino. They used to be everywhere in Spain.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Wild child

Just curious living that close to a route, have you ever spoken to any of the pilgrims? The reason I ask is this fellow makes me very curious. I expanded the picture to try & get an idea why this particular pilgrim was carrying a pack as well as the Donkey. I suspect the donkey carries its own provisions. Just a guess, but from his pack vs the donkey pack his seems larger:)
Thank you for sharing!
Keith

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wild child

Just curious living that close to a route, have you ever spoken to any of the pilgrims? The reason I ask is this fellow makes me very curious. I expanded the picture to try & get an idea why this particular pilgrim was carrying a pack as well as the Donkey. I suspect the donkey carries its own provisions. Just a guess, but from his pack vs the donkey pack his seems larger:)
Thank you for sharing!
Keith
Hi Keith
No didn't get to speak as I was on my way to deliver some documents and on the way back i did see him but from distance along a part i care not to drve. I took our pair of collet out a bit later criss crossing the route but no sight of them.

To be honest he may not be a pilgrim just a traveller on part of the route.

I always say hello but unless they speak the English I'm stuck.

On my Camino I saw 3 pilgrims with donkeys. 1 was Spanish, he was walking back from Santiago to Bilbao, said its his (and donkeys') 5th Camino. He didn't have backpack, all was packed on the donkey + a small doggie was riding. 2nd was actually a group, they passed quickly while we were in a bar and the donkey decided to have some vino tinto too. 3rd was standing in front of the Cathedral, pilgrim posing for photos, donkey accepting cookies. Didn't get close enough to No2, but both others were happy to chat.

In September we saw several donkeys on the Le Puy route. The pilgrim carried his pack and the donkey carried its food.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A true pilgrim?

ooooooh, careful with those adjectives "true" and "pure", Wildchild !! :p

Back on topic, I've seen or met quite a few donkey pilgrims, including where I live, near the French/Italian border, near the juncture of the Way of Provence with the coastal Way to Rome. One of my better online friends is a donkey (and foot and bike) pilgrim, who did his first Camino in 1965 (not with a donkey that time).

They tend to be very unusual men or women (or children), and they're certainly following in an ancient tradition of the Way, but the constant care and attention that the animals need as well as the very different hourly and daily pace that they impose does tend to keep them in a special area of their own, even among the crowds of the Francès.

I can't remember the year when I saw a man riding a donkey in front of a woman carrying a backpack.:eek:

Most probably, either they took turns, or he was somebody with mobility problems. Or they were two people who met along the Way, or she had simply decided to walk carrying her own pack.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Last May I met a Spanish pilgrim on his way from Santiago to his home town.
He was walking with a donkey that was carrying his backpack and on top his dog.
We had a drink together and talked for a while. It was a very nice encounter .
Wish you all well, Peter.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
How about this gent the human donkey - the cart is for his wife. I believe he was German. The pic was taken Obanos May 2013.
View attachment 22308

Am I the only one who wonders what romantic/tragic/heroic story might go with a man pushing his wife in a cart all the way across Spain (perhaps half of Europe) on a pilgrimage route? wait, no one else wonder....I'm rushing to find a publisher.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...
Did you meet Bjørn Krohn? Died aged 48 in an albergue, I don't know where, tuesday 21th. I didn't know this until now.
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
Can anyone tell me if food is available there… anyone stayed recently? Cheers

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back