• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What surprised you the most?

TheLaw14

Time of past OR future Camino
1st Camino- del Norte, September 18, 2023
Hi All!... New member here, with my first camino just under two months away (del Norte from Irun starting September 18!)... Have been watching and reading posts for the last several months, but am really starting to get ramped up as the daily countdown dwindles, and thought I would ask previous walkers, "What was the one thing that surprised you the most about your camino?" Whether spiritual, cultural, geographical or otherwise in nature, I'm curious as to what gave pilgrims the biggest pause during their treks...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
How much my tiny body can endure, and how replenished it feels with only some food, a shower and sleep.

(And seconding all above who talk about gratitude. It's hard to explain)

Before my Camino I thought I understood the "infrastructure". It made sense that I would find the goods and services that I needed along the way.

But there was so much more on the Camino. Sure there is good business. But most of the local folk were so very kind and thoughtful. I came to understand that they were sincerely happy to aid us on our journey.

There was grace.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Feeling while walking the secular transcendence akin to to what runners call 'the zone' . Your body can handle the task while your spirit glows with the effort. Neither easy, nor impossible; all simply is. ...Thus, thankfully you continue.

Also seconding everything already mentioned above.

How simple life can become on the Camino and how that simplicity was all that one needed to walk for such long distances.
How our aging bodies coped over several weeks and months and didn’t fail us.
How much we loved the experience and have kept returning for more!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Great question and great answers, they all resonate. So many layers but for me it was the people, the deep friendships and camaraderie. And an old tune by Bob Dylan ... "I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now".

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I recently completed my first Camino (Norte, Primitivo, Finisterre/Muxia) and as high as my expectations were (especially after reading so many wonderful posts here on this Forum in the months before I left), I was surprised that actually doing it was even more amazing than anything I had read or any pictures or videos I had seen had prepared me for. All the answers here are great and really resonate with my experience.

I'd like to add one thing to this wonderful list that really surprised me since I don't consider myself a religious person and for me the experience was more of a spiritual journey. At some point deep into the Primitivo as I crossed a point with an amazing vista after hours of walking uphill, somehow my mind went to a movie I had last watched years ago, Chariots of Fire, and the line (which I remembered imperfectly at the time and have since looked up) the Eric Liddell character speaks: "When I run, I feel His pleasure". Liddell, of course, was speaking about his speed, but I felt so strong, the vista so awe-inspiring, my heart so full, I was surprised to find myself thinking, When I walk, I feel His glory.

I really hope to return for many Caminos, each of which I hope will be wonderful, but I suspect there is nothing like your first Camino (maybe a topic for another time?).

So enjoy every minute, feel gratitude for this gift, even when you're so tired you're not sure how you're going to manage those last kilometers or make it over that last hill (that first week starting with Irun will be hard! Stay open to the gifts the Camino offers and embrace all that surprises you!

Buen Camino!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
How easy it was to sleep in a room full of strangers and then share the bathroom with them.
How Spain looked nothing like I expected it to look. (somehow, thought it would all look like a Clint Eastwood movie)
How stunning the landscapes were and how they changed from day to day. Just standing there, taking it all in, being awed and grateful that I got to see this, and be able to listen to all the happy birds (cuckcoo) and the noisy little crickets, and getting excited day after day of seeing another stork nest.

First time: that I actually could walk such a long way!

Subsequently: how much I enjoyed meeting other pilgrims. I am a true introvert and love walking alone etc. I had thought other people were something to avoid!! Meeting and talking with so many very different people, from so many different countries, has truly enriched my life.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
How small are really the differences between all of us in this tiny world.
How people from all around the world, with very different cultural and social backgrounds, can perfectly understand one each other, make inmediate contact and relation and work and walk together having a common goal.
I had only seen that previously in Hollywood films about alien invensions to the earth!!!

Hi All!... New member here, with my first camino just under two months away (del Norte from Irun starting September 18!)... Have been watching and reading posts for the last several months, but am really starting to get ramped up as the daily countdown dwindles, and thought I would ask previous walkers, "What was the one thing that surprised you the most about your camino?" Whether spiritual, cultural, geographical or otherwise in nature, I'm curious as to what gave pilgrims the biggest pause during their treks...
Absolutely nothing at all. Since life itself always, without fail, has unexpected surprises around the corner then why would the Camino itself, since it is part of life, not have the same. A surprise, by its very life's nature, is not a surprise.
Oh wait . . . I just surprised myself by replying to the post!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
1) How many older people like myself were doing a Camino.
2) That the Frances was like a moving Carnival from the first day in SJPdP to Santiago
3) How lonely the Portugues was between Lisbon and Porto

How unimportant are things like people’s names, occupations, and political or spiritual beliefs. In the end, you realize you have shared little time and deep conversations with “Brazil guy”, “the couple from Wales”, “German girl”, and “Virginia guy”. We are all the same: our needs are showers, clean clothes, and food. We all have achy feet. We all are touched by spiritual places on the Camino. We all suffer and rejoice at the end. We all want to do it again!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The therapeutic value - The Camino provides the perfect platform to get away from the grid, uncoil, purge and compartmentalize, and ultimately free up the mind and senses to fully appreciate the good, the pure and the positive.

I was surprised at how bad I truly was at estimating distances. Everything else stated by others is true and pretty wonderful even when experiencing discomfort, pain, thirst, hunger, and exhaustion. Planning on returning for my third next year and just training more to be better prepared.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Surprised at how much I enjoyed the Camino Portuguese (Porto to Santiago) as I am not much of a walker or hiker. The other pleasant surprise was how my mind would simply go into "neutral" and not think about anything....just hearing my footsteps and seeing the surroundings. Looking forward to the next Camino in the Spring.

To learn that I love people, and I love the heat and sun.

Before the Camino I was a bit of a misanthrope. Well, not really, but I basically had not only lost faith in humanity, I had never had it to begin with, plus a social anxiety disorder and being an introvert also.

Still an introvert, but witnessing how kind and "real" people were (pilgrims, hospitaleros and locals) was a truly humbling experience and totally has changed my life for the better. Social anxiety is mostly gone by now, and I now love to interact with people (most of the time), even changed my profession towards a more social one.

That and learning to love the heat. No idea how that happened. I had always hated heat and sun, didn't move at all when it was hot, and always stayed in the shade. I remember hot days in Andalucia, back when I was a kid visiting my grandparents, and how miserable I was, sleeping all day, only leaving the appartement to go to the beach, and at night. Now I even like to do extra long walking days on hot summer days, through the afternoon and into the evening. Weird.

How differently time moves on the Camino. A day feels like a week and a week is a month. For nothing really happening all day (walk walk walk) its amazing how much does happen and how overflowingly full every day feels.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
How unimportant are things like people’s names, occupations, and political or spiritual beliefs. In the end, you realize you have shared little time and deep conversations with “Brazil guy”, “the couple from Wales”, “German girl”, and “Virginia guy”. We are all the same: our needs are showers, clean clothes, and food. We all have achy feet. We all are touched by spiritual places on the Camino. We all suffer and rejoice at the end. We all want to do it again!
indeed.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
the feeling of knowing that everyday was different, every town or city unique. I had 30 different Caminos in 30 days.

Feeling while walking the secular transcendence akin to to what runners call 'the zone' . Your body can handle the task while your spirit glows with the effort. Neither easy, nor impossible; all simply is. ...Thus, thankfully you continue.
After three debilitating knee injuries over six Caminos (one that put me on crutches for 200 kms), my physiotherapist described a "walker's high" that enabled me to walk through the pain. She compared it to the "runner's high" or Zone. Interesting.

•the comaraderie between the pilgrims, despite language barriers
•how family orientated the Spanish people are
•the freedom I experienced

Buen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
"What was the one thing that surprised you the most about your camino?"
I was sitting outside sipping some wine when I read this question. I immediately thought that this was almost the favorite question Peg liked to ask visitors to the US. And then Peg came out and I asked her the question. She answered
I was surprised at how green Galicia was .
Yeah, almost word for word what @Bradypus wrote. A short while later as she went back into the house Peg voluntarily told of another surprise; she said that she was surprised that along the way there were villages and countryside but there weren't any houses in the countryside. That's different from home.

I have a difficult time answering questions like this but really it is as much of a question about a person as it is about a camino or country and so I thought I should come up with something. My mind went back to a surprise of Peg's she mentioned about me once, how social I was in Spain. I'm really like that with camping, backpacking and gardening too though. It's being outdoors with someone of like interests.

One more since really it's three Peg surprises. I would say this was more unexpected than a surprise since I like moderation but this guy raised with the outdoors being woods and forests really enjoyed the meseta.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
How easily and quickly pilgrims shared really deep and personal stories.
How I can easily live and walk without planning where I am going to eat lunch or sleep tonight/tomorrow/etc ...
How little I actually need.
and thank you for the question.

I thought I would meet some nice fellow pilgrims on the road sooner or later, but becoming like a family with a small group from the first day wasn't exactly what I'd expected. I love walking alone and at the end of the day having dinner with my "family".

To learn that I love people, and I love the heat and sun.

Before the Camino I was a bit of a misanthrope. Well, not really, but I basically had not only lost faith in humanity, I had never had it to begin with, plus a social anxiety disorder and being an introvert also.

Still an introvert, but witnessing how kind and "real" people were (pilgrims, hospitaleros and locals) was a truly humbling experience and totally has changed my life for the better. Social anxiety is mostly gone by now, and I now love to interact with people (most of the time), even changed my profession towards a more social one.

That and learning to love the heat. No idea how that happened. I had always hated heat and sun, didn't move at all when it was hot, and always stayed in the shade. I remember hot days in Andalucia, back when I was a kid visiting my grandparents, and how miserable I was, sleeping all day, only leaving the appartement to go to the beach, and at night. Now I even like to do extra long walking days on hot summer days, through the afternoon and into the evening. Weird.
Wow! Beautifully transformative and awesome!👏👏👏☺️

How little one needs while walking the Camino. How much stronger you are than ever realized and most importantly, the interaction of humanity, other pilgrims and the locals, that takes place daily. While recently walking del Norte, as I was passing through a small town I noticed a gentleman walking behind me and after a few moments I turned around, smiled and said Hola. He asked me if I’d like to see his favorite beach he takes daily swims at? Without hesitation I said Sure!
Just a few steps off the path, but hidden was this mind boggling beach, I shall never ever forget. The unexpected gifts along “the way” keep your eyes, ears and heart open.

Attachments

• IMG_4273.jpeg
    IMG_4273.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4280.jpeg
    IMG_4280.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4268.jpeg
    IMG_4268.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4265.jpeg
    IMG_4265.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4262.jpeg
    IMG_4262.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
How the landscape unfolds in front of us and recedes into the distance.

Somewhere along the way, at the top of a hill: That I had walked from further than I could see, and that I was walking to a place further than I could see.
Similar. When the reality of it suddenly hit; here we were, in the middle of Spain, having walked to where we were and now must continue walking to reach our destination.
Laughing and crying at the unlikeliness of it all (while enjoying an ice cream cone in Santillana del Mar). No one gave us a second look, maybe this is a common thing?

How wonderfully freeing the simplicity of life feels with just the open path in front a few things on your back. How overwhelmed I was with gratitude at being able to do this special thing in this beautiful place. The amazing people I met along the way--pilgrims and locals alike.

The first 2-3 days I got pretty grumpy (14 days is going to be too long...I think I fractured my foot...my clothes stink...etc). What surprised me is how much I missed it when it was over!

Portugues, Porto to Santiago

I was surprised and impressed by how eloquently pilgrims could express themselves in English as a second or third language. I heard so many deep conversations and testimonials between people from different countries in accented English. I speak a few languages, but I am not as expressive or personally insightful in any of them.

Thanks to everybody who has shared their thoughts to this post so far, and keep 'em comiing! Insightful, full of grace and humbleness... your reflections have raised my anticipation to new levels... At a time in my life when the 'same old routine' has become indescribably monotonous, and being surrounded daily by some of the basest of human instincts, I really need a chance to break the spell of this little world I live in....

Thanks to everybody who has shared their thoughts to this post so far, and keep 'em comiing! Insightful, full of grace and humbleness... your reflections have raised my anticipation to new levels... At a time in my life when the 'same old routine' has become indescribably monotonous, and being surrounded daily by some of the basest of human instincts, I really need a chance to break the spell of this little world I live in....
I think it is important to manage your expectations though. Just walk with an open heart, be a friend and let the Camino do it's thing.

How much I loved it!
I just finished my first my Camino in June and I want to buy a ticket already to go back. I really i'am surprised how much I loved it. I have never hugged so many people that I barley knew but felt like I've known them forever. Helped twice by local Spanish people when I had a problem with my back. While researching the Camino on this forum before I went, I always wondered why people walked more than one camino. Now I know!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
How the landscape unfolds in front of us and recedes into the distance.

Somewhere along the way, at the top of a hill: That I had walked from further than I could see, and that I was walking to a place further than I could see.
Love this because it got me thinking. I never looked back. Literally. My focus was always on the trail ahead. I need to think about that more. . .

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Agree with lots of the above.
but I liked how very little material stuff I needed. it really simplifies life.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back