• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Old Folks Hit the Trail Again

Marymac

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked Frances (2011)
Camino Portuguese (2016)
Ron and I head out on or about April 12th to celebrate turning 75 and to give thanks for being blessed with good health and the fitness level to undertake this walk at our age. We walked the entire Frances the year we turned 70, and here we go again. Here's my question for you. We want our first day on the trail to be a beautiful one in a country setting and not through the industrial schlock and highway walking on the outskirts of Lisbon. Could you suggest a town north of Lisbon for us to start our walk that will get us well past this area? And a second question, could you advise of any other heavily industrial areas or scary highway walking areas along the way that we could bus around? We will be taking the coastal route from Porto. At our age we don't feel we have to prove anything by walking every step of the trail. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give us.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Take the commuter train from Lisbon to Azambuja if you like to walk through a flat agricultural landscape alongside the Tejo river to Santarėm or train directly to Santarèm, a lovely town to stay.
Advise.. Choose for the one and only Santarèm hostal right in the center ,a few minutes away from the tourist information. Great place for pilgrims.
Reservation is necessairy but worthwhile.
From Santarèm you walk through a nice rural area direction
Find info about the Santarèm hostal on this forum

Bom caminho

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Take the commuter train from Lisbon to Azambuja if you like to walk through a flat agricultural landscape alongside the Tejo river to Santarėm or train directly to Santarèm, a lovely town to stay.
Advise.. Choose for the one and only Santarèm hostal right in the center ,a few minutes away from the tourist information. Great place for pilgrims.

Bom caminho
Thanks for the info Albertinho. We also, quite junior to Marymac and Ron - only being in our early seventies, will be setting out from Lisbon on 5th April. We are planning to stop in Santarem round about 10th April and didn't realise that prebooking at the albergue was advised. We'll bear that it mind.

And who knows, Marymac, we may meet somewhere, we will be the English pair with the Yorkshire accents plodding along.
Bon Caminho

Last edited:
Ron and I head out on or about April 12th to celebrate turning 75 and to give thanks for being blessed with good health and the fitness level to undertake this walk at our age. We walked the entire Frances the year we turned 70, and here we go again. Here's my question for you. We want our first day on the trail to be a beautiful one in a country setting and not through the industrial schlock and highway walking on the outskirts of Lisbon. Could you suggest a town north of Lisbon for us to start our walk that will get us well past this area? And a second question, could you advise of any other heavily industrial areas or scary highway walking areas along the way that we could bus around? We will be taking the coastal route from Porto. At our age we don't feel we have to prove anything by walking every step of the trail. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give us.
And I will be the 'young' Norwegian who just turned 70 trotting around, but only from Porto to Santiago. I will start April 4th from here and spend 4 days in the Train before I can start on April 9th. Will let the weather decide, but I would very much like to take at least the first day to Vila do Conde along the coast and if weather permits continue on to Esposende and take a bus to Barcelos. I want to take a detour to Braga before continuing on the Central Camino. Anyone who knows about buses between Esposende and Barcelos?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
And I will be the 'young' Norwegian who just turned 70 trotting around, but only from Porto to Santiago. I will start April 4th from here and spend 4 days in the Train before I can start on April 9th. Will let the weather decide, but I would very much like to take at least the first day to Vila do Conde along the coast and if weather permits continue on to Esposende and take a bus to Barcelos. I want to take a detour to Braga before continuing on the Central Camino. Anyone who knows about buses between Esposende and Barcelos?

For buses between Esposende and Barcelos check this Transdev site.

Thanks for the info Albertinho. We also, quite junior to Marymac and Ron - only being in out early seventies, will be setting out from Lisbon on 5th April. We are planning to stop in Santarem round about 10th April and didn't realise that prebooking at the albergue was advised. We'll bear that it mind.

And who knows, Marymac, we may meet somewhere, we will be the English pair with the Yorkshire accents plodding along.
Bon Caminho
The Santarèm hostal is not a real albergue but a hostal with room for a.o. Pilgrims.The have double bed rooms but also rooms with bunks.
The best thing to reserve is to send a personal message to Mario in english .
On top of this page type in Santaremhostal in the searchbox and you get many hits on this forum .then click on the avatar of the Santarèm hostal ..the trademark of the hostal. Then click on "start a conversation"
And get in contact with the Santarem hostal. It is a great place and definitively not to be missed on the Lisbon to Porto leg. Be carefull if you enter Santarèm. Sometimes a man,owner of the N1 hotel in Santarèm stops you and asks if you reserved or if you look for a hotel and if you say yes , he says that he is from the Santarèm hostal but points you to his own hotel . Very unfair .
The Santarèm hostal from Mario is in the center of town .ask for the tourist information. Once there it is only three minutes away.

when you are in Barcelos, take the bus to Braga.the stop is oposite the hospital in the center of Barcelos.
In Braga go to the tourist information on the central square and ask where the busstop is to the Bom Jesus do Monte church. It is 200 meters away from the tourist info but many streets lead to the central square. the Bom Jesus do Monte is the place of Braga to be. Beautifull. But don't miss the Sé cathedral neither allthough you have to pay for entry .
When back in Barcelos walk the next day 18 kms on the caminho to Casa da Fernanda in Vitorino de Piaës. It is on the caminho.
Eventually you can call Fernanda on beforehand to be sure of a bed.
Just as above mentioned Santarèm hostal, Casa da Fernanda is the place to be.
Tel.+351 914 589 521 Sorry we do not meet up there. My wife and I will be hospitaleiros at Fernanda's but we will be there not earlier than somewhere mid of june !
Godt tur !

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Good for you, all you over-seventies! I've enjoyed the Portugués from Oporto and from Tui with my 80-ish sis and her husband. And I'll be returning to mid CF next week. If we could resist returning, the various camino routess might be a bit less crowded. Mia/nuestras culpas!

Totally agree with all of Albertinho's recommendations.

Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Old people don't walk the Camino. They ride the bus to the highlight cities and go on city tours.

The older but young at heart people walk the caminos. At 66 I hope I can remain young at heart when I'm your age.

I walked from Porto to Santiago in 2014. Costal route the first day then inland to Rates the next. It's a great Camino. Think about a night at Casa Fernanda. Mom's Fernanda is wonderful. Bom Caminho

Happy Trails

when you are in Barcelos, take the bus to Braga.the stop is oposite the hospital in the center of Barcelos.
In Braga go to the tourist information on the central square and ask where the busstop is to the Bom Jesus do Monte church. It is 200 meters away from the tourist info but many streets lead to the central square. the Bom Jesus do Monte is the place of Braga to be. Beautifull. But don't miss the Sé cathedral neither allthough you have to pay for entry .
When back in Barcelos walk the next day 18 kms on the caminho to Casa da Fernanda in Vitorino de Piaës. It is on the caminho.
Eventually you can call Fernanda on beforehand to be sure of a bed.
Just as above mentioned Santarèm hostal, Casa da Fernanda is the place to be.
Tel.+351 914 589 521 Sorry we do not meet up there. My wife and I will be hospitaleiros at Fernanda's but we will be there not earlier than somewhere mid of june !
Godt tur !
Thank you, the main reason for going to Braga is Bom Jesus do Monte, and thank you for suggesting me to see the Cathedral as well. Yes, I look forward to Casa da Fernanda! Takk og ha det bra!

Thank you, the main reason for going to Braga is Bom Jesus do Monte, and thank you for suggesting me to see the Cathedral as well. Yes, I look forward to Casa da Fernanda! Takk og ha det bra!
Ikke takk !
Enjoy Braga. We come back every time in Braga when we are in Portugal. Such a nice town. Have your coffee or tea in café a Brasileira oposite the tourist info A grand café where the locals gather for their "bica" ... Strong expresso coffee.

Godt tur och kanske vi träfas en gång

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I will take my bica at Cafe Brasileira. Ja, kanskje vi treffes en gang.

Bom caminho
Thank you for your advice, Albertinho. We are booked at Santarem Hostel and will head out on our trek from there.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for the info Albertinho. We also, quite junior to Marymac and Ron - only being in our early seventies, will be setting out from Lisbon on 5th April. We are planning to stop in Santarem round about 10th April and didn't realise that prebooking at the albergue was advised. We'll bear that it mind.

Bon Caminho

Hi Tony - we are booked at Santarem on the 13th so you will be ahead of us. But, who knows, perhaps we'll meet prior to reaching Santiago. Enjoy your trek!

Probably our paths won't cross Mariann as you will be well ahead of us. Enjoy your Camino.

Good for you, all you over-seventies! I've enjoyed the Portugués from Oporto and from Tui with my 80-ish sis and her husband. And I'll be returning to mid CF next week. If we could resist returning, the various camino routess might be a bit less crowded. Mia/nuestras culpas!

Good for you, Silverton, and good for your 80 year old sister. I hope we are still able to consider a walk like this when we are 80.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Old people don't walk the Camino. They ride the bus to the highlight cities and go on city tours.

The older but young at heart people walk the caminos. At 66 I hope I can remain young at heart when I'm your age.

I walked from Porto to Santiago in 2014. Costal route the first day then inland to Rates the next. It's a great Camino. Think about a night at Casa Fernanda. Mom's Fernanda is wonderful. Bom Caminho

Happy Trails

You've hit it on the nail, Urban Trekker - stay young at heart, keep fit, maintain a sense of adventure and pursue your dreams and you will be able to walk a Camino at our age.

I am a bit of a Peter Pan. Although the truth is that I only just feel like I am 28 still! :) My body tells me something else when walking though. :(

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Al the optimist! Having reviewed some statistics, it seems not many from the UK walk the Camino.
I'm from Wolverhampton too! My first day of walking will be June 1st from SJPP.
Very much looking forward to it

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
Hi everyone, I did the CF in 2022 and found the planning quite easy as there were albergues all the way so yiu can walk as much or as little as you please and there is always somewhere to stay. I...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back